YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

How to dry the inside of a drysuit?

3K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  Dave Crampton 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have one of the Waterproof Draco drysuits and after using it yesterday for the first time in a pool its a little 'damp' inside :embarassed:

I'm going to be using it at Horsea tomorrow and Friday and hoped it would dry a little before then.

Any advice? Should I be trying to turn it inside out? I haven't tried yet as I'm a little worried about damaging the zip in the process...

Any advice gratefully received :)

#3 ·

I have the earlier version of the suit which is slightly thicker I think.

It is possible to turn it inside out as far as the crotch easily .... much further than that and you start to run into difficulty with the boots.

The downside of these suits is that they do take a little more effort to dry but what I used to do was turn it as inside out as I could and leave it in a warm room over night. This generally dries any perspiration out.

If it's leaking take it back ..... it says 100% Waterproof on the back and it should be :D

HTH
Mal

#5 ·
You may find that the boots won't quite dry like that, I had a leak and it took a long while to dry the boots, I now use a hair dryer on a very low heat setting to get the dampness out of them.

#20 ·
I now use a hair dryer on a very low heat setting to get the dampness out of them.
I would worry about any heat, but I get distracted and I know I would forget it was on. :)

but I use a 4 inch computer fan gaffer taped to two bits plastic pipe one fits in each boot. it makes no noise I just leave it on over night the air draft seems dry suit just fine.

David

#6 ·
#7 ·
I hang mine up in the garage with the zip open. Used to use newspaper in the boots to dry them better, but now i use Dryzone absorbant thingys which work well.

HTH, Al

#13 ·
I did think of using newspaper, but dryzone sounds better, as I don't buy papers!

Tempted as I am to say don't piss in it in the first place I will resist making that comment.

Chris
I was waiting for that allegation, and I utterly refute it :) I was so hot and dehydrated at the end of it I doubt I could have if I'd tried...

I dump mine in a heap and go dive it at the next opertunity.
A little damp doesn't matter.

When you're leaving it for more than a fortnight (you're in jail or in hospital or something else that really stops you diving) hang it up by the boots with the zip wide open so it doesn't grow fuzzy bits.
Being new to all this I've been led to believe that only BSAC divers grow fuzzy bits, usually around the facial area?

I have some of this stuff and it dries bootgs and legs out a treat.

Dampire Dryzone in Accessories,General from Simply Scuba
Excellent link! The instructor did mention this yesterday, but didn't mention the name - I'll get some :)

As it happens the boots are fairly dry anyway and the chest, arms and legs have dried in the morning breeze, so comfy for tomorrow now :) No chlorine smell on the inside either, so I'm confident there were no leaks involved..

Thanks to all that replied :thumbs_up:

I'd pass out some of these forum rep thingies if I knew how!

#9 ·

When you're leaving it for more than a fortnight (you're in jail or in hospital or something else that really stops you diving) hang it up by the boots with the zip wide open so it doesn't grow fuzzy bits.

#16 ·

what Nigel said.

Stink is just a part of life. You get used to it.

#17 ·
I turn it inside out as far as possible then fill a pair of old socks with kitty litter and put them inside the boots.Usually

for the last few weeks it has lived in the back of the car so the aircon has been drying it out for me:)

#21 ·
I also give the Dampire's my vote. I turn inside out and stuff the dampires inside the boots...gets it nice and dry in no time. Just stick them on top of the boiler to dry out when they get too damp.

They had a pair of Dampire's on the top shelf in the shop at Horsea last weekend so you can even pick yourself up a pair whilst you are there

Martin

#22 ·
Same way, in principle as drying out a pair of wellies.

Leave zip etc open and hang it up by the boots, ensuring that the boots and legs of the suit are opened out (ie not constricted or folded) and air can mnove freely in and out through the whole suit, all the way to the tips of the toes.

As the moisture evaporates, it absorbs latent heat, cooling the now moisture laden air, which falls down and out of the suit, to be replaced by warmer dry air - but only if it's hanging boots up - neck downwards. Don't stuff newspapere etc in, it only interferes with air circulation if they are upside down.

#24 ·
Your either way past your bed time or on nights Richard.

Dampires are bags of silical gel I think. They come tied together with adjustable straps and hang down each leg of your DS when its hung up to draw out the moisture. You re-activate them by sticking them in the oven to dry out the silical gel. I made my own out of a pair of the missus tights, and some industrual silica gel a freindly chemist had give me. Used to dry it out in an old oven dish, then when cooled store in an air tight container untill the next time.

If you try this don't let the missus find the old tights in your DS hanging up, or it could lead to some akward questions.... :D

Dave C

#28 ·
Another vote for Dampires. I have one of these rigged up with a pulley and rope in my garage. I wash my suit than hang it upside down with the zip open.

Once the outside is dry I turn it inside out (taking care with the zip) as far as the boots will allow and leave it in the cupboard under the stairs for a day or so with Dampires in the boots.

#29 ·
Wash ? Suit ? Isn't that what the sea and freshwater is for ? :teeth:
Now undersuit, thats a different ball game.
Speaking of which, any good tips for washing undersuits without wrecking the insulation properties ? I've machined mine a few times on the lowest temp and shortest slowest spin, but it can't be doing it much good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.