YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just watched the program 'How To Have A Good Death' and it was ................. quite distressing ............... why should I feel upset about the demise of strangers and the pain of their loved ones?

Why does death worry (and irritate) me so much? Of course I do have elderly ill parents and my latest friend to die (at the age of 54) only passed away a few weeks ago. Also, I've got the middle age yips and death is one of those imponderables that I seem to want to ponder.

I've never really wanted to have children but I did say to Ms Finless the other day that when we get close to our dotage maybe we should adopt a few so they could look after us and do the chores.

Wouldn't you think that evolution would favour those (if there are any) that don't care about such things? On the other hand ......... perhaps it is fear of death that gives us the necessary restraints to stop us from killing ourselves through some stupid action. Perhaps it is empathy for others suffering that just about stops the human race from destroying itself?

I think that, on balance, there is more pain and suffering in a life than there is happiness and I can quite understand how and why belief in a God/gods is necessary for some piece of mind?

Anyway, if there is a God then that must have been one hell of an apple?

If and when I meet God I fully intend to have serious words with Him about this and I'm definitely going to kick Adam! Also, ladies, since I'm not getting any at the moment may I have my rib back please!

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Brian, we have 'spoken' about this before, I have seen close relatives die both when I was youn and now as I get older, neither were particularly easy to come to terms with. One thing I have drawn from seeing death as I get older though is the realisation that its no dress rehersal, so I intend to enjoy what time I have left and worry about how much of it there is at some later stage. Head in the sand time I think it may be called. For me its the only way to get through the death and sickness that surrounds us, particularly as we get a bit older.

I dont think age stops us from enjoying our life but I do think you need a positive mental approach (or blinkers).

Matt

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
a little perspective, you are one among billions of people on this planet, which is one planet of 12 around our star, which is one star among millions in our galaxy, which is one amongst millions of galaxies in our infinite universe.

surely somewhere out there some one will have sex with you!:)

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a little perspective, you are one among billions of people on this planet, which is one planet of 12 around our star, which is one star among millions in our galaxy, which is one amongst millions of galaxies in our infinite universe.

I'm poor as well!

:):)

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian, we have 'spoken' about this before, I have seen close relatives die both when I was youn and now as I get older, neither were particularly easy to come to terms with. One thing I have drawn from seeing death as I get older though is the realisation that its no dress rehersal, so I intend to enjoy what time I have left and worry about how much of it there is at some later stage. Head in the sand time I think it may be called. For me its the only way to get through the death and sickness that surrounds us, particularly as we get a bit older.

I dont think age stops us from enjoying our life but I do think you need a positive mental approach (or blinkers).

Matt
Yes, I have mentioned subject this before and, doubtless, will again.

I have to disagree, age does stop us enjoying things ............ or, rather, it stops us enjoying the things we used to enjoy. I can't play squash any more .......... diving is MUCH more of an effort than it used to be ............ sex with nubile women ....... any women ................. seems to be a thing of the past ............ my view of my knees and feet is fast disappearing ............. beer .......... oh my God, I can't drink anymore ...........

When I get home tonight I'm going to develop a cunning plan!!!!

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Yes, I have mentioned subject this before and, doubtless, will again.

I have to disagree, age does stop us enjoying things ............ or, rather, it stops us enjoying the things we used to enjoy. I can't play squash any more .......... diving is MUCH more of an effort than it used to be ............ sex with nubile women ....... any women ................. seems to be a thing of the past ............ my view of my knees and feet is fast disappearing ............. beer .......... oh my God, I can't drink anymore ...........

When I get home tonight I'm going to develop a cunning plan!!!!

That's not old age stopping you, its cos you is a fat bastard :)

Matt

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
Sound like you where watching the wrong channel last night. You should have watched C4 at 10, Virgin School :eek:

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
How do you teach someone to be a Virgin??

Matt
After watching the program it has put me of sex for life, so I guess thats how it works.

PS by "for life" I mean 5 mins

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
i remember sometime ago watching a channel 4 program about a load of Americans who were claiming to be 'born again virgins', it had to of been one of the funniest things i'd ever seen.

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
i remember sometime ago watching a channel 4 program about a load of Americans who were claiming to be 'born again virgins', it had to of been one of the funniest things i'd ever seen.
How ridiculous. Why everyone knows you simply need to eat a slice of wedding cake and - hey presto! - you are celibate and virginal once more :angel:

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Congratulations YDers. You've done it again! A thread starts (again) about death etc and within a few replies you turn the subject to sex! Fantastic!

I should be working, but for now I can't stop laughing.

Thanks to all for putting a smile on my face on an otherwise dull day!

Finless, I almost feel sorry for you!!!!!!!! :teeth:

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I'm not shagging you then.

Oh for fu ..................................... shucks!

I don't know if it is true BUT I have heard (on the Simpsons) of something called 'pity sex'?

Well, I suppose you'd have to be pretty low to accept 'pity sex'? Well, I'm not too proud ........................ which, if I recollect was why the current Ms Finless gave up sex with me. I did respond with the old goody .......... "it may be a small organ but it's not designed to play in a cathedral" .............. when things got a bit more accrimonious I believe "bill poster's bucket" and "pint pot of warm water" may have been mentioned.

Oh well, sex is over rated and sticky and I miss it ............................... so it'll be just my luck that I won't have enough puff for the new woman in my life .............. when she arrives in the post (wrapped in plain brown paper if the advert in the magazine is to be believed)!

:):):):)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.