YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just got certified in August @ Oban (PADI OW).

Now have full gear & access to boat, located in Ardrossan Marina on the Firth of Clyde. (next to Arran ferry)

Ain't joined any clubs yet - I go with my brother, but wouldn't mind meeting others and going adventures.

So far we have been out 1 or 2 times a week around our local area, just testing our gear and getting some experience. Mainly we are interested in bagging a few scallops, maybe a lobster if we can find some.

Last Sunday we found the Catalina wreck off Cumbrae (Millport), but found it pretty boring and to be honest we seem to prefer messing about at 10-20m as opposed to deeper.

So far we don't really know many other local divers. Anyone local with any good ideas for a dive is welcome to get in touch - we have a boat that is easily accessed and fairly comfy.

Am I right in thinking that this site/forum is not just for Yorkshirefolks?

Looking forward to learning a lot more about diving - there seems to be a wealth of knowledge available in these forums.

Cheers

kebabio

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
howdo and welcome to YD

Your right its not just for Yorkshire people.....
Am sure there will soon be a few along from your neck of the wood :)

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Howdo & welcome to the forum Kebabio. (i'm sure I can speak kebabi after a few beers....)

There are a few of us around west coast, congrats on getting qualified and getting straight into it. We were out a few weeks ago (21/08) around little Cumbrae, got some big bags of Scallops and then round trail Island we managed a max depth of 6 metres while we got buzzed by a curious Seal.

Davie

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks folks

Hi Davie, nice to hear from you. Bomber also! This is my first use of a forum for any purpose - it seems to be pleasantly sociable...
What is trail island?
I want to be buzzed by a seal.
Can you recommend any interesting sites around here?

I wouldn't say I've been bitten by the bug, I'd say I walked into a cloud of hungry (dive) midges while covered in syrup.

·
Partly Worn
2,799 Posts
- it seems to be pleasantly sociable...
:rofl:

wait 'til Friday!

Nah I'm kidding, even the traditional Friday ruck is usually carried out with a sense of banter and lack of personal animosity (only one person keeps redding me - boring!)

Welcome to YD!

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Hi Davie, nice to hear from you. Bomber also! This is my first use of a forum for any purpose - it seems to be pleasantly sociable...
What is trail island?
I want to be buzzed by a seal.
Can you recommend any interesting sites around here?

I wouldn't say I've been bitten by the bug, I'd say I walked into a cloud of hungry (dive) midges while covered in syrup.
Whilst I dont normally recommend other forums, YD does indeed suit me well. There are other forums that you may or may not want to visit, I sometimes go to fin strokes but I wouldnt go near another Scottish one with a sh177y stick, I'd suggest Fin Strokes be a bit technical biased for you at OW level, However here is a link to it's Trail Island Dive Guide and from that you should be able to find some other dive guides that suit your depth/experience level.

The best place for seal experiences is the farne islands and there are usually YD trips organised along with plenty of charter boats that will let you book just a couple of spaces, The last couple of times I've had seal encounters at the Farnes I think we had to go down to do our safety stop, most of the dive was spent at 4 metres....

dive safe
Davie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts