YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

As YD has such a large readership from all over the UK would it not be a good idea to have a site map in which the people from relevant areas can fill in about the sites in their own area?

It could be done as a map of the UK where if you are planning to go to the West of Scotland, you click onto the West of Scotland.

Then there is a list of sites and the exact area they are in and info on them. The site could be slowly built up by YD'ers into a comprehensive information list of UK sites. Also as an after thought the people who are local to areas could put an e-mail address into the relevant section for outsiders to contact them.

It would go something like this: I stay in Scotland and want to dive Stoner Cove, I click on relevant area(?), I have a list of all sites in area, I click on dive site that interests me, I get full info on site and e-mail address of someone who knows it.

I believe YD could build up a great database of UK sites with this method. Wotch'ya think peeps?

Peter

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

We have discussed this and I have plans to widen Yorkshire Divers as a website (ie not just the forums) - unfortunately I am very busy with other things just at the moment so I have put this on the back burner. Good idea though and we will be doing it soon(ish)!! Of course when I do, I'll be expecting input from all of you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imported post

This is indeed a large task; on UKDivers.com I spent many many hours writing a UK Wreck Database in ASP and still to date have not finished the map.

What it needs now is some input from divers. You can find it here;
<a href="http://ukdivers.com/wrecks/list.asp

I" target="_blank">http://ukdivers.com/wrecks/list.asp

I</a> am quite happy to share the code with YD if some one wants to adapt it to include all UK Dive Sites.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

I didn't mean that the person uploading the forum/site writes all the reports himself. What I probably didn't explain too well was that we slowly add to it and build the thing up this way.
Peter

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Peters K and T and Jay,

I'm all in favour of this - especially if the divers on the forum actually contribute to their local dive areas/wrecks, after all it will help the membership.

That said, I'm a PC/Server Luddite, and wouldn't have the 1st clue about the amount of work that might go into such a venture - though expect it to be extensive!

Thanks PeterT for offering to share the code; there exists a more than co-ed relationship between the two sites as it is, and your offer can only help the general play.

I'm happy to donate/contribute where I can with reports/dos and don'ts etc, but if this takes off, it MUSt be a 'one-in-all-in' gig with everyone giving where they can.

Just my ten-bob-ha'penny's worth.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Excelent idea.

There are a lot of dive info related sites but none of them have got it right yet. Most give history of the wreck Marks and launch site but there are a few bits of information missing that are vital to a good trip.

What is the best state of the tide to dive the wreck
What are the prefered wether conditions IE blown out is SW's
Dont dive after heavy rain. Algi bloom in July etc.
Where is the nerist dive shop / air fill
Contact Numbers for Boat charters with info like take a flask the skipers tea comes from the bilges.
Where is the tide bassed IE Dover 2hours after high water  
Local Costguard contact Number
Dare I say, local BSAC branch contact number (no I am not a member but they have been very helpfull in the past)

Just a few thaugts

Possably my programer man is looking at this thinking Yeah great do you know how much extra work that involves >

If so, sorry

Mark Chase

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imported post

I am in the process of integrating the wrecks database into YD. I think all your information points are covered anything missed can be covered in the Notes and References boxes.

Let me know if you think anything is missing.

You can begin adding to the database now here; http://ukdivers.com/wrecks/list.asp Yorkshire Divers and UKDivers will be using the same database.

This will give me an opportunity to flush out any bugs in the scripting.

(Edited by PeterT at 2:13 pm on Jan. 18, 2003)

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

This would be a great idea but not neccesary for just UK. OK, UK first as mostly all readers are from UK.  What I think is missing is a visual site where you can click on a geographical area where it would then show on the map the best dive location and locations of dive clubs for example. So if you want to go to Sardinia for example you would click on the island where you can immediately see where the diving areas are.
It would be a monumental task wich would require much input but it would be a great help. on www.scubaportugal.com it has something similar, but if you click on a region wich would pop out it would better.
The beauty of having such a map on a site is that often we are in a geographical area (such a visit to the mother in law) and you have a quick look, see the best dive sites and clubs then escape leaving your wife with her mother!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts