YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me from going mad, MAD I tell you.

I dropped my laptop and smashed the screen but managed to get a new screen for under £40. Fitting it involved a major strip down. I've done repairs to laptops before and just assume everything has to come off/out. Makes it quicker in the long run.

All screws carefully kept on a piece of paper (all different sizes I ask you!). Now, I remember taking off 2 wires from the wireless network card, I think they were black and grey - held on by tiny co-ax plugs. When I get everything back together, the wireless connection is rubbish even a foot away from the router. Then I remember - I don't remember connecting those wires back up. Card is visible by taking the bottom memory cover off... Right - no wires connected. Looked for wires - no where to be seen. Full strip down again - no wires.

I can only imagine whatever the 2 wires are connected to - maybe just a coil acting as an aerial - has dropped somewhere in the room. I know it will be small, everything is, and there's little space left for anything bigger than a fingernail.

So, question. Anyone who has a HP Pavilion laptop, preferably a dv6 although they may all be somewhat similar, do you mind whipping the bottom cover off and seeing what is connected to the damn thing so I at least know what I'm looking for. If the wires disappear off into the guts please don't look any further. Just being told that the wires are 3 inches long will help me look.

Ta.

·
www.eastcornwalldivers.co .uk
220 Posts
You've probably ended up with them tucked behind the new LCD panel and the lid.

The antenna runs along the bottom edge of the screen, usually, sometimes the top or sides, but the cables always run from the lid casing down through the hinge (usually left side), along a channel and often through a gap or hole in the motherboard to the underside where you can connect them to the wireless module.

Ensure you get the cables connected the right way around - grey is usually primary antenna, Black aux, though I've seen exceptions!

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
ewwww, Woz, I've not even finished the first coffee of the day and already I'm reaching for the mind bleach..

I did the same repair job on my Samsung NC10 and it is exactly as described by various people - the WiFi antenna is just a pair of wires that go around the edge of the LCD screen. I also managed to leave one of mine tucked up in the screen portion of the laptop and after much swearing and prying with a makro card, eventually got the housing open again and fished it out.

PS: You should only do laptop disassembly jobs when you are very very calm and not suffering either from DTs or hyper-caffeination...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. That's a big help. I'm usually so methodical with these things and just got ratty that I couldn't locate the wires. I don't remember them being there when I took the hinges apart but I see (thanks Digger, "tear down" is a good search phrase - didn't use that) that they must have been there.

So it's screen out time again. And scream out, maybe. (See what I did?)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You've probably ended up with them tucked behind the new LCD panel and the lid.
Honestly JimmE, as if I would have them tucked behind the screen... That would be stupid of me... Oh, wait.

:embarasse:embarasse:embarasse:embarasse:embarasse

Job sorted!. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts