YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi guys,

I was chatting with some guys from my local shop the other day and they seem to think that the HSE are thinking about changing the rules and not allowing cold water training at O/W level - cold being 15C.

Now I know they will step in if they believe the instructor has been negligent with regards to cold water protection (ie leaky semi dry in Capers in January as opposed to a dry suit!)and an incident occurs but it seems a bit harsh to say no more cold water training at all - cant be right can it? That would put a stop to virtually most of our season and be saying that cold water is bad when we all know thats not the case - being cold is! Have they got the wrong end of the stick in the shop ? I think so but would like to know if any one has heard similar.

Any thoughts/rumours out there ?

Cheers

Tara

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

Yep I'd agree with that - I can count on the fingers of 1 hand the last time I had 15 in the UK  - got to be a load of tosh as far as I can see :eyecrazy:

Paul

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

I can't see that they could possibly enforce such a ridiculous rule. If trainees are to dive these conditions then they must be able to train in the relevant conditions.

If this was the case then PADI divers would never dive the UK or similar as you can only dive in conditions equal to or better than those in which you trained.

This sounds like a windup to me or else the HSE have really lost it this time

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Phil,

To 'lose' something pre-supposes you once 'had' it in the 1st place - can that really be said of the HSE?? ;)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

Hello,
Why don't you come to dive here :bandit_2: , I think what they can enforce that everyone who got qualified abroad in warm waters must do small course, about drysuits, cold water hazards and so on...but even then an intelligent diver should check all this before diving from a 24'c to a 4'c.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

Only problem that here you cannot store the beer out side to have it chilled but in a fridge.Have you ever tried to place a couple of beer in your goody bag, to find them chilled after the dive to party. :boozer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts