YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
RR871 - Assessment of manual operations and emergency procedures...

This study has been published on the HSE web-site - Has Deeplife already seen this report? Are there any additional areas that were not considered in the development of the APOC or that could be of additional consideration?
Yes, we have seen it. It is an interesting report: written by Dr. Sarah Fletcher focusing mostly on the APD rebreather configuration and from comments she makes she tilts in that direction with a fair few of her opinions. However, by applying the Functional Safety principles in the FAA guidelines, she almost comes up with the Apoc spec on her own.

The report applies FAA guidelines (rather than IEC 61508 - the FAA guidelines are a lot weaker than the CASS templates for 61508), but one can still match each the guideline to the Apoc solution. As I said, almost a formula for the Apoc.

The report contains a few mistakes, like mistaking the Clough algorithm derivative used by APD as being voting logic, and then falls into the trap of consider voting logic as suitable for O2 sensors of the same type (they have to be of the same type for Clough algorithms to work with O2 cells): it treats various other topics very much at surface level only. However, a nice summary despite the leaning.

Alex

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did draw the caomparison on pieces of this - one thing I did notice was the reference to check lists being provided laminated as standard which seems like a good suggestion - is this something that is being provided on the APOC currently or that you plan to do?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I did draw the caomparison on pieces of this - one thing I did notice was the reference to check lists being provided laminated as standard which seems like a good suggestion - is this something that is being provided on the APOC currently or that you plan to do?
We are providing the whole manual, which includes checklists, on waterproof paper.

It is a good point though: we provide the PDF of the manual hence divers can do this, but I will ask OSEL to put in a laminated set of the checklists into their shop.

Alex

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the subject of check lists - one risk highlighted is the omision of various checks etc. Are any of the checks on the apoc such as +ve or -ve checks done electronically ie through the internal pressure sensor. Etc or are there any planned check lists planned to be included on the wrist computer when this is released?

·
Pastafarian Member
393 Posts
We are providing the whole manual, which includes checklists, on waterproof paper.

It is a good point though: we provide the PDF of the manual hence divers can do this, but I will ask OSEL to put in a laminated set of the checklists into their shop.

Alex
So the answer is no......make your own or buy them at additional cost, not exactly pushing the safety boundaries here then.

Sag

1 - 9 of 9 Posts