YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made an enquiry yesterday for a diving medical and was quoted £170 plus the vat, when I picked myself up off the floor, i wondered if there were different levels of medicals.

I have heard of a sports diver medical should I of asked for a price on that?

Just out of interest whats everyone else paying for there medicals and can anyone recomend anywhere nice and cheap in the North West.

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
paid about £100 for the first one then £50ish for renewals.

nottingham.

·
Myth Buster
510 Posts
Dr Clamp near Nottingham, very good value for money. Advertises in the back of the dive magazines, about £100 for 1st but only £50 for renewals

Dr M Clamp
Lowdham Medical Centre
Franklin Road
Lowdham
Nottingham
NG14 7BG

0115 966 3633

·
176 Posts
I would recommend Dr Ashe as well!

Top class, and I think I paid £70 for my first one - which included the extra price for the ECG, but there were a few of us having it, so i don't know whether that was a special price!!

Certainly will be a lot less than £170!

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Get mine done by Tourist on this site. £45 for the last one (due another now) and Mark does an ecg every time, but maybe that's 'cos he's so surprised that I'm still alive !

Sorry, but we're in SW Lahndahn

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
..., i wondered if there were different levels of medicals.

I have heard of a sports diver medical should I of asked for a price on that?

HSE medical is for commercial divers sport medical is for people that just want to go diving. Sport diver med is typically about 40 quid.

Chris

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
They government will very soon be adding VAT onto the medicals I was told when i got mine. It comes in at the end of this month I think.

J.

·
10,679 Posts
They government will very soon be adding VAT onto the medicals I was told when i got mine. It comes in at the end of this month I think.

J.
Nothing on the e-med site they still show 40 quid?? Would be then 47. Not a disaster every two/five years I guess. Annual for us :(

Chris

·
No social integrator
4,457 Posts
Dr Clamp near Nottingham, very good value for money. Advertises in the back of the dive magazines, about £100 for 1st but only £50 for renewals

Dr M Clamp
Lowdham Medical Centre
Franklin Road
Lowdham
Nottingham
NG14 7BG

0115 966 3633
Gone up to £60 - or it will be on the 31st of this month when I get mine done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I couldn't get any time off work to get up to see Dr. Clamp, so I had to get it done round the corner.... £220!! daylight robbery really. And my surgery then charged me another £15 to access my records. :(

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm currently saving up for my HSE renewal by not eating crisps or drinking beer for a month to pay for it! (And get my BMI below 30!) :D

£140 last time and that's from a mate!

Yours in poverty and sobriety,

Kev.

·
10,679 Posts

·
10,679 Posts
even if you are not paid and dm'ing you are at work.

J.
Mmmm.... some form of recompense must take place. Free air or similar is enough - that's "payment in kind". If you are working for nothing at all and on commercial premises you probably are not covered by their insurance.....

If you are on one of those "internment" things working towards OWSI you're probably still a "student" so no don't need the HSE med IMHO.

But I would get one anyway - lawyers are funny beasts :D

Chris

·
Registered
41 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that the HSE definition of "working" is that you are receiving more money than would cover your expenses. But don't quote me! (I'll try and find the link)

edit: I can't find it. I've found it alluded to, but not officially, so please don't take the above as correct. There appears to be no clear definition of what (in the eyes of the HSE) is or isn't work. Better to be safe than sorry - insurance is only a couple hundred a year & gives you the peace of mind on top.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
nope. No recompense is needed. the fact that you are dm'ing on a course that a student has paid money to a dive centre for, places it firmly in the at work category not the receiving of any form of payment, free air, jelly tots, cake etc.

Of course I might be talking total rubbish but I'm sure some CD will be able to give the definitive answer on this.

J.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts