YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to me gwetting a HUGE bill today I'm forced to sell my newly purchased VR3 :frown:

I purchased it second hand a week ago and I've been ordered from my wife to sell it ASAP:frown:

I'm after £450 plus postage for it

It's trimix CCR unlocked and also got the external sensor enabled as well as the download feature. Comes with the download kit and software.

Don't wanna sell it but really gotta so time for a good deal to be had for someone here.

PM me

·
Registered
411 Posts
Na!!! couldn't lie to her.

Well I've got a dive budget and I DID go over it so it's kinda my fault.
It is all about equipment life cycle planning, in this case you should have said that it was to be used over the next 17 years, hence only impacting your normal spend by a low percentage (lest you cant spend anymore in the short term).

You should have drawn a graph showing the cost of a new one (the most expensive price you could get away with) and show the saving made by going over the fixed budget at this time, and plotting that cost out over 17 years.

Having a fixed per month or year budget is a false economy and will result in more money being spent, this is a proven fact that you can show her right here :)

Another angle for you - you need to increase your budget as you now have a portfolio of equipment to maintain, without maintainance the investments already made will be spoilt/devalue more quickly.

Hence with every purchase the budget needs to be increased.

Another graphic showing how few words there are in the dictionary between diving and divorce seemed like a good idea but now I have typed it I realise that it might not be.

If you focus on dealing with the unrealstic budget all will come good in the time ;)

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Or just do what i do and dont tell her you baught it in the first place :D

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Team Erectus Domini Co-Founder
400 Posts
It is all about equipment life cycle planning, in this case you should have said that it was to be used over the next 17 years, hence only impacting your normal spend by a low percentage (lest you cant spend anymore in the short term).

You should have drawn a graph showing the cost of a new one (the most expensive price you could get away with) and show the saving made by going over the fixed budget at this time, and plotting that cost out over 17 years.

Having a fixed per month or year budget is a false economy and will result in more money being spent, this is a proven fact that you can show her right here :)

Another angle for you - you need to increase your budget as you now have a portfolio of equipment to maintain, without maintainance the investments already made will be spoilt/devalue more quickly.

Hence with every purchase the budget needs to be increased.

Another graphic showing how few words there are in the dictionary between diving and divorce seemed like a good idea but now I have typed it I realise that it might not be.

If you focus on dealing with the unrealstic budget all will come good in the time ;)

In the words of the immortal Dave Gorman, lets see what this does to the graph!!

LOL

·
Registered
411 Posts
You may not be able to work out anything with a graph other than the point at which it crosses axis and hence provides a solution but that would be to a different question.

So a baseline is needed for kit funding.

A = current value of portfolio (purchase price)

All kit is depreciated over say 5 years (oops VR3 is a special case)

So to maintain the investment, if we say that a% of purchase price is required for maintainance per year. M=% for maintainance lets call it 20%

We now have a budget for maintaining the portfolio of A/5 + M%A

So for a typical diver lets say that they have 2000£ of kit.

2000/5 + 20%*2000 =£800 to maintain current equipment this includes both purchase of replacement and maintainance of current.

It would seem fair to add in a percentage for development of the portfolio inline with development of your diving experience and your increasing awareness of the importance of equipment from a safety perspective.

How much should we allocate for this... um.... welll it is a primary hobby - we dont do line dancing, football, or other activities that might require 100£ in footware per year, we dont get our nails done for 20£ every 2 weeks=520£ we have our hair cut short another 200£ saving... we dont wear suits at the weekend:angel: that should save a further £180 per year so that is easily a 1000£ saved which rightfully should go back into the dive budget. E=1000£

Now from an accounting perspective there are a couple of tricks and errors that need to be made to make this come good.

Holidays - well you need holidays so lets not go there.
Weekends - well you need to do something and you could have an expensive hobby or liking for the arts so really spending 26 weekends a year on a boat is not expensive and should not be factored considered.

So each year you can reasonably spend 1800 on your dive equipment without a pang of guilt.

If you should of course increase the size of your portfolio this should be viewed as a good thing.

If you should save money (safely of course) on maintainance and accidently spend that budget (lest it should be lost) on aquistion of new equipment then this again should be veiwed as a good thing as you are increasing the size of your portfolio which can be sold at any point.

If you can limit your servicing bill to say 500£ per annum then you have 1300£ available for increasing the portfolio.

End of next year your portfolio will be worth 3300£, the year after you will have 1320£ for maintaining the portfolio and the bonus 1000£ because you do not play football or wear suits at the weekend.

That gives you 2300£ minus say 600£ for servicing so 1700£ you can spend on new kit... and so it goes on..

So a year later you have a portfolio worth some 4000£.

With another 100£ increase on the servicing we now have a budget of £1900 taking the portfolio to a value of 5900£ after just 3 years :)

Obvioulsy there are far more considerations to be included, all of which should add to the budget allowed for ;)

Good job my partner has a 50% share in the portfolio and I dont have to go throught this kind of nonsence myself:)
I recommend not drinking "Old Rosie" apple juice at lunch time if you intend to get any work at all done in the afternoon as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.