YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I was doing one of my occasional web searches to see who's linking to my web page this morning, and I found that far and away the most popular page of mine refferred to was the one about the HUB.

What IS the fascination with this thing??

Oh, and PS Drift - what were you doing complaining about me on DiveOz when that link came up there? On holiday at the time or something? ;)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"Yorkshire divers - a friendly and somewhat quieter place than the above listed forums." - what you trying to say Dom?? :lol2:
<span =''>

Moi? :greenangel:
Considering the forum listed immediately above YD is Divernet, are you arguing? :p

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Dom, how come your website has a plain background? THis makes it too eay to read the text - don't you know its obligatory to put a complicated wallpaper on there with text of a colour that blends in so you have to strain to see it? ;)

I think you will have to give a better indicator as to the content of the BSAC forum, how about: for the humourless, crowbar-owning diver who likes to argue the case for 'how many angels can dance on the head of a pin' ?  :jpshakehead: :smash: :snore:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
I think you will have to give a better indicator as to the content of the BSAC forum, how about: for the humourless, crowbar-owning diver who likes to argue the case for 'how many angels can dance on the head of a pin' ?
<span =''>

I was thinking about "It's occasionally useful when I want to clarify BSAC policy about something"

I confess I lost faith in BSAC forums being a useful source of knowledge when I saw the complaints about Diver awarding them the Wooden Weightbelt award, and everyone seemed unable to think of any reason for this award other than "Sour grapes because Diver isn't the BSAC mag any more".

:smilepong:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Yeah, I'd heard about the "wooden weightbelt" thing, didn't 'Diver' actually supply a reason? If not, it seems a bit playground styl-ee, ie "you're [email protected] because you are...."

Personally, I just think there's too many of the Bring Sledgehammer And Crowbar dinosaurs on-line, plus if you stray too far from dive related topics you get jumped on "what's this got to do with diving...". At least YD does have a dedicated "wibbling" forum for stuff like humour and other irrelevancies.

I knew things were going downhill when someone is banned for apparent "libelous" statements against a bunch of hacks holidaying at our expense (no offence to the Gavster intended) , especially when that person was one of the few I found interesting (ie Jerry B)

Even for clarifying BSAC policy it could be a great deal better.

BTW you still waiting to do that one last DL drill? If so I'm assuming its one of the rescues, which one?
Regards
Steve

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

None taken -

This is Gav "proud to be a hack" Ster. BBC News in his office.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Umm.. the Wooden Weightbelt is a voted-for award. It's the voters who decide on where it's going. You'd have to ask them for the reasoning, not Diver.

That was another reason I was put off by the whinging of "Sour grapes".

Oh well...

Yup, still got that last dive to do for DL. It's the last dive, the "CBL, surface tow and full-on rescue" one. I'll get around to it someday: Been out of the water recently, had to clear my student debt last month.

Besides, I broke a part on my torch, and rather than just fix it, I'm building a new one from scratch instead

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Dom , it was you that made the DIY umbilical torch wasn't it? I fancy making one over the winter, thinking of one with two of those little halogen spotlights in it , so it'll look a bit like the things the Star Trek away teams use :biggrin:

As for clearing student debt, naarr...."let them worry about gettin it off you" is my approach having said that, with the new job I won't be eligible for another deferrment, oh well... can't have everything

(Edited by Steve W at 4:56 pm on Nov. 5, 2002)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Drift is seriously annoyed with the SLC - he missed deferment last year by £6 !!!!

Bitch or what? Bloodthirsty :vamp2:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Steve W on 4:54 pm on Nov. 5, 2002
Dom , it was you that made the DIY umbilical torch wasn't it? I fancy making one over the winter, thinking of one with two of those little halogen spotlights in it , so it'll look a bit like the things the Star Trek away teams use
<span =''>

Yup, that was me - you may remember I built the bulb-holder bit out of a maglite. All very well, but maglites aren't particularly small, so it remained a handheld job.

I've now tracked down a few bits of plumbing pipe that'll hold the bulb nicely in place, but sit nicely on the back of my hand with a goodman handle fitted.

Only problem is, the glass discs I have are just slightly too big to fit in it, so I'm having to file them down in order to fit. I'm beginning to consider just getting some new ones cut, it's taking forever...

As far as the student debts go, the student loan and graduate loan remain unpaid, but the free graduate overdraft went up in smoke, so it was a choice of either clearing the debt or start paying interest...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts