YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just a short post on my return from a week of 'cocktail diving' in the Red Sea: those of you who have been will know what it's like and those who haven't won't want to!

My first day was spent shore diving from Hurghada. Anyone reading the Lonely Planet Guide would think that had to be a waste of time: anyone who saw the Red Sea road Trip in Diver the other month will know that it isn't. For the supposedly knackered fringing reef there's plenty of life about - highlights were sea horses and a humungous feather tail ray on the night dive - oi nearly &#36#!t myself when that baby loomed out of the murk I can tell you.

Day time diving was as you would expect by and large: hot, sunny, 15m+ vis and more fish than you could shake a stick at. We dived a nice wreck of a minesweeper sunk at the beginning of the Yom Kippur war on one morning: on another day an unexpected downdraft had some members of the party looking a bit green about the gills when they saw their max depths on surfacing!

As the Mrs doesn't dive it was day boats only, and no bad thing necessarily as it meant that we had a nice clean bathroom to go to when the Pharoah's revenge struck and not a tiny liveaboard head shared by 11 others with the same complaint with an overflowing bin of used paper in line with the 'no flush' policy...ah, memories!

I look forward to seeing Davy's post and comparing notes but the sort of diving I was doing, delightful though it was, could get a bit monotonous after a while. As one of the instructors (from Sweden) said wistfully, there is nothing like green water diving...although the way the weather is at the moment it's looking more like grey water diving (Capenwray here I come!) for the while!

I'm off to start a divemaster course next weekend (for no reason that I can get my bank manager to understand): otherwise I would be enthusiastically joining in with you nitrox wallahs. I didn't know there was a curry house in Sedburgh!

So safe diving and I hope we get a weather window before Xmas for a Dive Site X reunion!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Good to hear the new rig's on the road Dave, sorry I couldn't join you, been catching up on the zzz's!

An unrelated question I guess - I reckon (and those of you who've seen me dive will laugh) I had pretty good buoyancy in the wetsuit, I could hover etc no worries - except when I turned to lie on my back when I would invariably go negative! I don't think I was losing air from anywhere. A small prize (winner collects) for the most convincing explanation! :umnik:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Great thoughts guys!

Actually Gav ignoring the grave 'fin to hover' insult I don't wear ankle weights with a wet suit but fair enough I didn't make that clear. Jays (second) explanation seems the most likely but Lou's is more elegant - you share the prize at the moment (you will need straws). Any more takers?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.