YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Welcome home Paul, I thought you'd been quiet, I hadn't realised you'd sloped off to dive sites afar.... Like you I found most of the diving out there amazing but I also found it..(Dare I say this) too easy... I long for low viz, strong tidal streams, surges to make your stomach churn and a loverly green tint to everything... oh and most importantly of all... I need to be wrapped up in a thick drysuit and carrying two ton of lead..... :thumb:

p.s. I didn't bother writing a report cos I'm expecting Bren's mega on the Maldives....

We're diving tomorrow, givvus a ring :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Mate I was in Consiton on Sunday fumbling about in a new wing/twin setup which had me completely Fubar'ed I spent most of my time upside down with me bloody fins sticking out of the water, zero air in the suit (vacuum packed) and the fingers of both gloves worn away... I was cold... I was very.. very.. cold...

Back to the drawing board on balancing twins and some new gloves too.....

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

I dunno Steve, one of the problems was the harness being too loose so that the tanks could move too much and so once I started to roll forward or sideways for that matter the whole thing moved and added to the momentum...

I had Ben with me and let him watch as I relaxed and tried to hover horizontally, then it was if an invisible hand was forcing my head down and feet up and adding a twist to the side for good measure, if I let it go all of the way to show Ben the effect, it would roll me completely forward, speeding up as it went until I finally flipped over completely (sometimes with the added twist) until I was on my back, then I would have to flounder around until I was back the right way up only for it to want to start happening again.

It was completely doing my head in, I tried moving the tanks lower, I tried moving the tanks higher, I tightened the straps, I loosened the straps, I vented my suit completely and used the wing for bouyancy, I vented the wing completely and used the suit for bouyancy, nothing I did would help....

Ben must of been howling as I handwalked along the bottom with my fins in the air, grabbing rock after rock trying to stop myself from flipping over... I was looking like a complete tw*t....

Now the strange thing is this.... I've dived with a wing and twins before, namely Andy Hayhurst's and it was like they had been made for me, I dropped straight to 30m with them and enjoyed a fantastic experience of bouyancy control and trim, so why on earth yesterdays fiasco was happening is beyond me.

Since yesterday's joke dive I've now bought a Halcyon BP and harness from Andy, I've bolted it too Ammers Halcyon wing that she's so kindly loaned me, Andy's setup the harness so it now fits like a glove

(He actually got me to run up the hill to prove that the tanks were now a part of me although I think this was a major p*ss take I still did it and they truly did feel fixed in place)

I can only hope that the next time I dive things will be better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.