YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all, somthing i've been considering for a while now and brought back to mind from one of wet lettuce's posts.

When diving independant twins my left post has :
Secondary reg
SPG
Wing inflation

Right post has :
Primary reg
SPG
Drysuit inflation

Imagine this scenario - Left post failiure and a ripped drysuit.
All bouyancy devices inopperative.

One solution is to run both inflators the same way, and have standard connections on suit and wing so you can get out of the above situation as easily as swapping a hose.

The problem for me is that this ruins my hose routing, three off each cyklon first stage, running on an angle from the pillar valve and hoses go down my wing very streamlined.
To setup as I want it I have to have a hose running behind my head, limiting my movement and spoiling my trim.

Anyone got any options to solve my problem?
Im gonna have a fiddle today (oo-er) so i'll chip in if I find a better way.

Cheers, Stu.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PressurE @ June 02 2003,09:49)]

<snip>

One solution is to run both inflators the same way, and have standard connections on suit and wing so you can get out of the above situation as easily as swapping a hose.

The problem for me is that this ruins my hose routing, three off each cyklon first stage, running on an angle from the pillar valve and hoses go down my wing very streamlined.
To setup as I want it I have to have a hose running behind my head, limiting my movement and spoiling my trim.

Cheers, Stu.
Quick question if I may, what is it about running a hose behind your neck that spoils your trim and limit your movement? I only ask because I have two hoses crossing behind my neck and they don't seem to have an affect.

I've got my wing inflate off my right post and my drysuit off my left. Hose from the wing comes over the left shoulder and the lp feed for it comes behind my neck then down the hose. Drysuit comes under my arm/harness and into the suit.

If I really need to I can swap the hoses between wing and drysuit as they have the same fittings.

Cheers
Rob.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

tbh rob, I think my cylinders may be a tad high. Dropping then an inch may change how it feels.
Ah well, off to lie kitted up on the floor again...
Stu.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imported post

Something I do - which probably won't suit everyone, is to run my spg, bcd inflater and drysuit lp hose all over my left shoulder in a neoprene hose wrap thing. The BCD and drysuit hoses are interchangeable, and the drysuit connection keeps the bcd inflator and spg in the middle of my chest, regardless of trim etc. I can swap inflation about no bother. If inflating my drysuit from a sidemount, as in when using trimix backgas, I rout the whole lot under my left arm, again in one bundle. Nice and tidy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PressurE @ June 02 2003,10:32)]tbh rob, I think my cylinders may be a tad high. Dropping then an inch may change how it feels.
Ah well, off to lie kitted up on the floor again...
Stu.

Ok Ta, I'll be interested to hear how it turns out once you've moved your cylinders..

Rob.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>This is one of the things I dont like about having a short wing infaltor hose. You have problems swaping the inflator over.

With a rotating inflator point on my dry suit I can swivel the inflator round to the other side and conect my wing inflator to the suit.

OR

Having a long hose for infaltion of the wing routed under my left arm to keep it all tidy I can disconect the inflator, move the hose over my shoulder and conect the suit inflator.

I have practiced this and it works OK  except with stages where things can get tangled. As a result on a staged set up using a cylinder on my left and right hip I will have a redundant inflator hose off of my back up reg and primery suit inflation off of travel gas.

I actualy had to use this on the Moldavia a few months back when my travel gas developed a leak and I had to switch it off and revert to back gas for suit inflation.

Basicly all inflation hoses should be interchangable and quick release and all hoses should be able to reach any inflation point.

If in doubt carry a big lift bag

ATB

Mark Chase

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.