YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Has a `try dive` today at cape using these. They were great but not sure yet. Anyone got these and are they easy to get used to. Whats the downsides???

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Getting the sodding things on.  Manipulating anything at the surface when you've got enough air in them so they're halfway usable at depth. If water gets in....THE COLD!
If you really want a pair, PM me and I'll offload you mine - I'm sticking with 5mm semidrys and my spiffy new mitts.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

The obvious thing to do is get some extra spiffy dry three finger mit glove thingies.

I have heard that you can put a straw under your wrist seal and under the dry glove seal to help ease the dry glove squeeze as air can get from your suit into the gloves. I'm not sure if I believe that as it is enough trouble getting the gloves on let alone bothering with that plus it must cause a leak? I must check and see if I read about it in the April issue

Trying to get them on with wet hands is  

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well I've used Typhoon's Drygloves since I started diving, mainly as they came attached to the suit and I couldn't be bother taking them off in the summer. They are quite combersome onshore but I usually put them on last thing b4 entering the water. I've never had any probs with squeeze (though I've only dived 25m). I find them very comfy below 10m as they squeeze onto your hand/fingers and I'm used to the slightly reduced dexterity compared to wet gloves now. The plus side is they are very warm, being lined with fleece gloves. I've only had a leak once when my hand got quite cold but I turned them inside out and after they dried they're as new. I fixed the hole with a type vulcanizing glue I bought from a camping shop. Its seam sealer and sets like latex rubber, very water proof and has not perished in the three months since I fixed them. Obviously they are not as abration proof as wet gloves but you can do repairs as I've said.

So far I've been able to carryout all my drills unimpeaded. If your converting from wet gloves then they will feel strange as you loose dexterity but I spend most of my time with my hands held on my front as I fin along. They are very warm and as its only your face that gets cold long winter dives are toasty.

Dave C

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Back to talk of mits....you can see John Gullivers and my chit chat on mits this time last year.

They're a real treat...take a while getting used to...you can play some great lobster impressions in the pub...etc etc.

John dives in the norther climes at freezing temps as I do...John passed on the mit recommendation to me last year and I pass them on to you. My diving in the winter is in near zero in fresh water..

I can get some for you and post them at your cost and John can do the same..(unless he's changed his mind since last year).

Cheers all.

Graham

1 - 5 of 5 Posts