YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Well we've seen the inside of a pot now. Poor Adam having solved his neck seal problem, to quote hime 'Dad, I think theyve put a wrist seal on here by mistake' and did it seal, we find his cuff dump gave up the ghost as well. He was frozen, thanks for hand warmers Daz, and wet. Got hime home after a single dive, he looked OK in the car, but he didnt want his tea (BAD sign) not even his Mum's roast spuds (a VERY BAD sign) and was all floppy. Then he started say he was dizzy, thirsty and had some finger pain. So I called BSAC (Oh I am impressed, and everyone knows I do not impress easily) and they suggested it wasnt the dive, which I was fairly sure about anyway, but advised we keep an eye (or 2) on him. I trotted off to work Monday (worried) and called him when I got in, he still sounded rough and was complaining of a numb hand. Rang BSAC again and they put me in touch with Whipps Cross who suggested we pay them a visit. Oh was I even more impressed with them, super people. So 5 hrs later and a return this morning we get the OK it wasnt DCI but well done for coming in so quickly. He's re-assured and so are his parents. What more can I say, thanks everyone, including the DO at my BSAC club who responded immediately to me e-mai to reassure me.
So now all I have to do is lob the cuff dump, patch it and put in a shoulder dump or he's gonna swipe my suit!
He's obviously feeling better.

Moral of the story - dont deny, get your sorry arse down the pot pronto. To quote them, all you used was a bit of oxygen and thats cheap, life isnt.
Matt
ps 350L/min for 5hrs - ouch, glad we didnt foot the bill

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

crikey!  Really glad he's okay, Matt.  Pass on our best wishes and good on him for owning up to feeling bad.  

Have you pinned down what it was?  Just wondering if his wrist seals are too tight as both Caroline and Mark Chase (I think - don't sue me if it wasn't you, Mark!) have complained about numb fingers from the Otter HD seals.

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Bloody ####, what a worrying time for you and his mum.  Really, really glad to hear he's OK though.  Dive safely and be safe.  The pair of you.  Ribbet.

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Thanks all. He complained of a numbness to the back of his hand, not fingers or similar, so I dont think its a suit problem. When they tested him he felt all the pin-pricks they did so not sure quite what the symptoms are. You are right though Lou he was a good boy to admit it, I think I'd have gone into denial straight away! Posted it though to advise all that the Chambers are a great place if you need them, so dont go into denial OK.
Matt

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Jeez, Matt, what a scare for you all. Glad it turned out well, though. Say hello to Adam for me (and get him a SI-Tech dump valve!).

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Pleased to hear the story has a very happy ending,no doubt you may be thinking about a personal O2 kit after that, if so I've got some ideas for an economical way to do this. Have you done your O2 admin course yet? It's well worth it, we (well my old club) usually ran the BSAC version of O2 Administration for ~£10
Chee-az
Steve

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Hi Matt, I just got back to find this chamber thing is catching on.

Realy glad to here the lads OK. Good thing his buddy is 24/7
and switched on to boot. Well done M8

Andrew & I had a good W/end at Weymouth by the by. We saw a big puffer fish?
?? I kid you not. On the Spanyard?
?
Andrew was doing his photography bit again against some poor viz and this damed fish just sat there 12" away the size of a football and Andrew had forgoten to switch his camra on

We got on the boat thinking no one would beleive us but two other divers had seen it too so no one laughed at us.

Ho Hum role on summer

All the best

Mark Chase

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

Cheers Mark,
I just read your post saying you got back in the water before the follow-up visit, please be carefull. You really should wait for the all-clear, I know this diving lark is like a drug but hey we've both got families mate. I know I'm an old fuss-pot but I havent got to 32 by being casual (32 is he having a laugh?) but be super cautious (boring?). Whatever, choose old or bold but not both.
Glad you had a good weekend and no further troubles.
Matt

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Ok so being cautious got you to 32,  but what has got you the rest of the way ;)

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Must be me, its happened again. My post has fallen off the edge into the abys ho hum.

I had posted

Quite agree Matt but my hit was CO not a bend so ban was just precautionary. Mind you I dont think the extra 48hours would have made much diferance.

The check up consists of:

Are you OK   Yes
Have you had any symptoms No
OK go home and dive more conservitavly in future as you may be more suseptable to a bend

Thats about it.

Any how thanks for the concern

All the best

Mark Chase

1 - 12 of 12 Posts