YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... So I thought I'd tell you all about it.:)

Being a PADI girl through and through I thought I'd do a course in the use of Drysuits to find out the correct way of using one and to see if I got on with them.

For my dosh I got the manual, watched the instructional DVD, had a pool orientation session and 2 open water dives.

Having completed the Knowledge Reviews I headed to the pool session. I quickly came to discover that a drysuit is really nice and warm and that in 30 degree pool you can end up feeling like a boil-in-the-bag Cod. It also seems that I've managed to develop the curiously amusing yet bad habit of hopping off my back foot when I do a giant stride, my last twenty or so dives were off day boats in Egypt (I don't get to dive that much) so I guess that must have slipped in there somewhere.

The inversion skill wasn't as daunting or horrible as I imagined but for the life of me I couldn't get my legs down to do a fin pivot. Hovering no problem. Still, apparently my buoyancy was acceptable enough to go onto the Open Water dives later in the week and if I still had issues with my 'floaty' feet I could strap ankle weights on (lights blue touch paper and retires to safe distance!:angel:).

I was hoping to do the open water dives in the sea but that wasn't to be so it was off to the green and silty land that is Horsea.

First dive, still having issues with my floaty feet, went upright to try to ensure that I didn't have any air trapped in the drysuit legs (being shortish and "stocky" all kit I hire is always designed for a seven foot bloke so I had a touch of the Nora Batty's about the legs and could have concealed a stolen Chicken in the Drysuit crotch!:redface: ) only to find myself heading somewhat rapidly for the fast approaching surface computer bleeping alarmingly on my wrist as if I hadn't noticed. Got myself sorted, descended again and had the ankle weights clipped on. Plunged into the silt and performed my fin pivot and did a nice hover then we all trundled off round for a bit of a bimble in the half metre viz. Buoyancy control felt a little better. I only ended up at the surface once more and managed to arest another unplanned ascent a metre from the top. My buddy and fellow student fared far better.

Following that 20 min slightly dodgy first dive we had surface skills to perform. Weight system removal and replace on surface and scuba unit removal and replace on surface.

Then on to dive two which was much better. My weightbelt felt a bit loose after the removal and replacement exercise and I'd decided to tighten it when we got down - hopefully I'd get any excess air out of the legs that may have been trapped by the belt on dive one. Whether it did work or the problem was psychosomatic, everything on the second dive was much better, except the viz which was still appalling. Another 20min bimble and out. I was quite relieved as the wrist seal on my right arm had caused my hand to ballon somewhat alarmingly so was pleased to be able to peel the thing off.

So, Drysuit Course, any good? Well IMO it was good for getting some experience in a controlled environment but really I think I'm going to have to get out there more and dive to really get the hang of it. I really want to try diving the the sea around here because you lot make it sound really rather good.

Bestest

Allie

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Well done Allie, nice report. It sounds like you got your money's worth and I hope you get to dive in the sea soon, in a suit that fits you!!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Well done to you .... now lots of lovely diving to look forward to...

B x (another fellow PADI through and through person... :))

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yay well done Allie, hope that you had lots of fun on the course. Hopefully you can get wet again in some salty stuff soon. Enjoy the drysuit, got to say I love mine.

James

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Sounds like you had LOTS of fun!!!....glad you enjoyed it.

A well fitted dry suit will make life MUCH easier, which is why I recommend it as the best investment any diver thinking of diving in the UK on a regular basis can make. Being comfortable and dry is without doubt one of the most important considerations in general when diving.

Good luck with your future diving.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Congratulations, now you can start enjoying the British coast :)

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Excellent report. Like your sense of humour :)

Note to self : If require a chicken stolen to order contact Allie and ask her to wear a dry suit :)

·
Strokier than a petting zoo
899 Posts
Excellent report. Like your sense of humour :)

Note to self : If require a chicken stolen to order contact Allie and ask her to wear a dry suit :)

would that be a live chicken or an iceland frozen job???

**shudders at thought of that much icey chicken next to sensitive parts of anatomy :eek:

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
would that be a live chicken or an iceland frozen job???

**shudders at thought of that much icey chicken next to sensitive parts of anatomy :eek:
As it won't be placed in the groin of my drysuit I'm happy for it to be either! :D Cheers Allie! :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words all.

My main reason for posting was to give those who've learnt in semis some idea of what a course might be like.

However, Si and Silty, live - definitely not, frozen - you must be joking I could get something like this though?

Any use?

Bestest

Allie

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, there was room for a live un but neither the manual or DVD explains how to deal with a panic stricken chicken near your nether regions.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Ah, there was room for a live un but neither the manual or DVD explains how to deal with a panic stricken chicken near your nether regions.
I would have thought it would be common sense to grab the pecker and give it a good seeing to until it twitches and falls over limp

Sorry, couldn't resist :embarassed:

·
Dive Ninja and now Trainee Kit-donkey
157 Posts
all kit I hire is always designed for a seven foot bloke

Allie
We should swap rental kit. Last time I hired a drysuit its was about 6" too short in the body so i had to hobble round looking like quasimodo for the day at capernwray, much to the amusement of my buddy. No1 makes drysuits big enough for poor old Xav. I've just ordered my own suit and i'm praying it fits :frown:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would have thought it would be common sense to grab the pecker and give it a good seeing to until it twitches and falls over limp
Badum Tish. There's always one isn't there :)

Xav said:
No1 makes drysuits big enough for poor old Xav. I've just ordered my own suit and i'm praying it fits.
Have you gone MTM or off the peg? We could have combined measurements and got two off the peg, cut bottom halves off and restiched and stuck them to make two perfectly fitting suits by the sounds of it!

·
Dive Ninja and now Trainee Kit-donkey
157 Posts
Have you gone MTM or off the peg? We could have combined measurements and got two off the peg, cut bottom halves off and restiched and stuck them to make two perfectly fitting suits by the sounds of it!
the nice lady at the dive shop took all my measurements and ordered it for me - so hopefully it should be beautifully Xav-customised. If it doesnt fit then there's no hope for me ever. I've wanted my own suit for ages but what finally pushed me into buying one earlier is that i'm tired of the rental suits filling up with water because of over-stretched neck seals, leaky seams etc.

if it all goes wrong and doesnt fit, please PM postal address to where i may send the top half of an aerdura black drysuit (with autodump) :teeth:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Interesting post Allie...I'm at Horsea tomorrow and friday doing the same thing!

I decided I didn't want school suits and bought my own drysuit, a Waterproof Draco, before starting the course. In the pool yesterday it was as wet inside as out though, and no, the seals weren't leaking...yuk...

I had ankle weights on too, and will probably continue with them until I'm more used to the suit. I'm still trying to figure out the automatic shoulder valve...

Dave

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting post Allie...I'm at Horsea tomorrow and friday doing the same thing!

I'm still trying to figure out the automatic shoulder valve...

Dave
Hi Dave,

Hope you're enjoying the green siltyness and the jellies?

As for automatic shoulder valves, I tried flailing my arm around like a fool had some limited success but I'm sure that's not the best way to use them, I guess it's just practise.

Bestest

Allie

1 - 20 of 24 Posts