YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Having just liberated £130 from the fine people of nottingham via a car boot sale of my unwanted (and generally useless) junk, I fancy a shopping spree.

I realise that this isn't the wads of cash that most people with a regular pay check (ie not students) have to spend on kit but never the less I thought I might ask the opinion of the YD gurus as to suggestions.

so suggest away please.......

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Mary, you are right. £130 isn't going to go far when it comes to dive kit!

What have you got already?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

I think it's wing and backplate time Mary. You know you want to. Buddy TekWing, £140. Sure, everyone will think we're clones, but then I have messed mine around enough that they might not notice!

Second hand twin 7s?

Membership of the Digger appreciation society is only £130 for the year, you know that?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Imported post

Mary,

You could get yourself 65mtr of bungie. that's bound to come in useful for something diving related sooner or later.
Or if you want a 'proper' save-a-dive kit, get about 20mtr of bungie, a big roll of gaffer tape and a pair of underwater scissors. that little lot will be well under £50 and will fix all diving problems known to man or woman.

Dig's buddy wing for £140 sounds pretty good too, or how about a cheap nitrox course, then you can have another boot sale to raise the £20 to get your tank O2 cleaned.

or one of those fancy buddy smbcis - the one with a gas bottle. they make smb deployment a real doddle and they're only £85, so you still aford my save-a-dive kit.

·
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>What does an EPIRB cost? Perhaps we should all have one on our shopping lists, and pretty near the top.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Now the SMB idea is good. Except £85? That is a lot of money.

As for bungee, with £130 we could buy 260 meters of bungee! Adn a cheap nitrox course? BSAC -£70. You could afford a good SMB with the spare cash!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

EPIRBS are fairly expensive, I looked up ones that work for divers and they are around £170, this is for a 121.5MHz EPIRB, this type of EPIRB is only useful if someone knows you are in distress and is looking for you since basically there needs to be a SAR helicopter within about 10 miles for you to be picked up.  The 406MHz EPIRBs however transmit a signal up to a satellite so you can be picked up anywhere within the satellites footprint (between 70 N and 70 S for inmarsat, worldwide for cospas/sarsat), I have not yet found any 406 epirbs that are water proof for more than a few metres.  Oh and you need to be on the surface for these to work of coarse!
If you have someone on the boat whos switched on and calls the coastguard when they can't find you then a 121.5 epirb would be just the job for letting the sea king find you.  If you do get a 406 epirb though make sure you register it or you may not get any response at all!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gaz @ Aug. 31 2003,21:09)]You could get yourself 65mtr of bungie. that's bound to come in useful for something diving related sooner or later.
Where are you buying bungy? go see poppa smurf if you're in the neighbourhood. have come out with several meters, assorted little bits of webbing etc and never been charged more than £2

No Digger No, I'm not helping fund your beer habit! afraid not even willing to become clones because unlike some women I resist the urge to write in pink on my kit.

kit wise have most everything basic I need, stab, regs, pony, computer, DSMB, compass, nice nice dry suit, only big thing I don't have is tanks but use club ones. no point in buying clean ones as not a clean compressor so then have to buy fills al la digger.

may send myself on a nitrox course..... what are the requirements?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Imported post

on the down side depends how long it is until the course, I may have aquired several more handbags in the meantime.....:D

·
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Plenty of in-test tanks on e-bay come in under your £130. You may be able to get two! I know you can use club tanks, but how much notice is needed?

I keep two tanks at home and filled. It means I can take up those drop-of-a-hat dive offers, so they don't stay full for long.

Loads of other nice stuff on e-bay; great value too!

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Ebay, in my experience, is a very expensive place to buy kit. UK Diving's got a lot of personals ads, and is often pretty reasonable, as is the Personals section on these boards. Divernet might even have an elusive bit of kit, but you do get the odd few who just don't realise how little all that expensive gear they bought a year ago is worth!

Mary, you can get as many 10s and 12s from the club as you like, so the 7s route is the answer! No more singles and pony diving! Perfect for Stoney and reasonable depth coastal diving. A match made in heaven. I'll even sell you the twinning band kit to put them on your BCD. Cheap, like, as long as I can borrow the twins now and again.

Nitrox courses are running left right and centre. Look on the POE 2003, but it's Sports + 20 dives. You don't really need to worry about the exra dives, but I don't know whether you've finally got the Sports signed off yet!

You'll want to go firing SMBs for the day at Stoney too, because that's basically all they can fail you for in the practical. You'll pass the theory easy. I did it in 20 minutes. And I never use BSAC tables!

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Thats only if you do the combined nitrox course Digger. If you do the basic nitrox then you only do a day in the classroom. No practical and no regswitching, delayed SMB stuff and simulated deco stops.

If I was doing it all again I'd have done the TDI advanced Nitrox. Same time for the course, similar money but certified to 100% rather than 50%.

If you insist on BSAC and don't do deco then just get the basic which goes to 36%, plenty for that type of diving.

Andy

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Basic TDI = 40%, to existing certified depth limits about £100 includdes 2 observed dives (if you are lucky).

Matt

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Sep. 01 2003,12:09)]but I don't know whether you've finally got the Sports signed off yet!
What do you think!

[/! I know you can use club tanks, but how much notice is needed?]

15 mins..... just round the corner and stopping of at 1 of 3 mates on the way to pick up keys, compressor on site.

[QUOTEI'll even sell you the twinning band kit to put them on your BCD. Cheap, like, as long as I can borrow the twins now and again.]

Fine but somehow don't think the regs will fit!

so the general consensus is TDI advanced nitrox is the best course around, I shall investigate further.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Imported post

haven't quite sussed the multiple quotes thing yet, how do you do it?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mary,

The BSAC basic nitrox course is £27 + regional costs (what ever they maybe) however there isnt any more courses unless you want to go to St Albans to do it!!

Before looking at basic nitrox talk to someone and see if its worth doing the basic or going straight into the advanced with the combined course (you'll need your sports first, unless you've got it since we last met.).

See ya soon

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Sod the basic nitrox. You've as good as good Sports, surely? So do the qualifying dives, and £70 is the combined sorted. Talk to Pete Church. He'll get you on a course, or failing that Ian could probably do the course for cost in the pub. Not complicated, and you've got the knowledge to do the sums in your head, probably.

Why won't the regs fit? I'd imagine you'd be on a 232 set, as your regs aren't 300 bar DINs, and I can work with that. DIN convertible valves? Oh yes. Easy as.

Want to dive Wednesday night? If you drive from notts with a couple of tanks I'll lend you my set for the evening. Good way to see how the 7s feel? I can do it on singles and club gear. Now they've got BCDs.

And my flight is booked for Friday. Cave diving here we come...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts