YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Greetings from south east Kent. I have just completed the discover scuba and have signed up for the open waters. Im so excited and I feel that I have arrived. Daft arnt I?

I have wanted to take up diving for many years, firstly having small children prevented it, then I had a back injury five years ago. But Ive had six months of physio, and three times aweek at the gym. I saw my GP and she say "yes".

The forum appears really friendly, I have enjoyed reading the posts. I know I will learn alot from you more experienced people.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Hi Susan,
           Welcome to the sad, bad and more often than not, mad world of YD. Glad to hear you had the sense to wait until the kiddies grew up a bit as you'll soon find out that they are not as hard on the bank balance as diving is  

Anything you want to know about don't hesitate to ask and someone will get back to you with a helpful reply(for the first couple of posts anyway, then it tends to degenerate into friendly pi**taking).
 Once your up and qualified get yourself on one of the trips or, even better, build up your experience by running one.

Take care and happy diving for the future,
Peter

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Yes, welcome aboard.

Don't let your back injury put you off. I've been diving with a ruptured disc for four years now (in fact I didn't start diving until after my injury). As long as you are careful with your kit out of the water you shouldn't have any problems. Put some thought into the kit you buy (advice always available here) to minimise the strain on your back. Experiment and fine tune your kitting-up routine and you'll be fine.

Have fun!

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Susan

Welcome to diving and YD, SE Kent, you are next to some of the best wreck diving going (out of Dover). Once you have done the course (Simply Scuba?) feel free to give me a call and come out with Canterbury Divers for a dive, if we aint going out then give Andy Nye a call at Dover SAC, they will probably take you out.

Our boats are faster, theres have bacon butties and brews.

As Peter said kids are a lot cheaper then diving. But kit is a lot cheaper than SS sell it for.

Regards

Paul

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Hi Susan, Susie or Sue.

Another southerner joins the program.

Welcome to a new dimension, its not the underwater world l'm refering to but the mad, bad world of YD.

As Paul states above, you are located near some great south coast wrecks, Paul being one of them

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Susan,

Glad you made it here and welcome to YD - get in amongst it!

Good luck with all your courses and if you need to ask anything, go ahead, we'll help where we can.

Cheers,

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Howard

LOL, the old ones are still the best (jokes i mean).

I'm out on Taurus today, what u doing? Work maybe?

Regards

Paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

Hi Susan,

I'm the wonderful Andy that Paul has said about my wonderful bacon butties ( BTW Paul , i had yours yesterday while waiting to put the boat away, ).
Like Paul has said , Dover is better than what most people thing,with travel times to wrecks at less than 20 minutes to get a nice wreck dive.
However, the underwater viz is not like the Med, but when we do get it over 3 meters it tends to stay for a while, this means the boat is out and get asmuch diving in.

Glad to have you aboard in the YD, southern shandy drinking club.

ANdy

PM me if you need phone numbers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Thank you all very much for the warm welcome. Also for the tips on equipment and impending debt, I look forward to that. Maybe when me house is re-possessed I'll feel like I've arrived.

Glad to hear that there are some good wreck dives in Dover, thats only about 45mins from me, bacon butties and p***taking sounds good. What a lovely bunch you are.

When I have been certified, shouldnt be long
I will let you know.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ Aug. 26 2003,09:54)]I'm out on Taurus today, what u doing? Work maybe?
Paul.

Today l was laying a hot bitch.

Well actually covering a roof with hot bitumen, but it doesn't sound as good.

Is Taurus at Dover this week? or have you gone way out west to Eastbourne.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Susan, welcome

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When I have been certified, shouldnt be long
So TRUE!, then you can join the rest of us certified, or certifiable divers.
Hopefully we'll meet up on gig as I'm from the best end of the country too.

Matt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Imported post

all right, duck, its me your mate scubanurse, hope you enjoyed your day at thorpe park, if yourhangover was as bad as mine, you would have had a lovely time.  Here's to our scuba future!!!!!

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Howard

Taurus is in Dover, we did a seasearch dive on the Lusitania, a very cloudy 1m of vis. I think i got caught up on just about everything possible and had 2 torches pack up. But it was a very warm 19Deg, on a calm sea.

Were off out to the Varne Bank later today in our Rhibs in the search for vis. Plate wreck or Sub who knows where well end up.

Susan, sorry we appear to have gone a bit off track on your thread, that kinda happens around here some times.

Regards

Paul

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hi Susan,

Yet another southern diver on the boards,  Secretly we are all planning to perform a hostile take over in the near future  

Have fun,

Daz

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

I agree with Daz, this could be the beginings of a hostile take-over. I have a good joke for you northeners

Yorkshire clubbers have started to use dental syringes to inject ecstasy directly into their mouths. This dangerous practice is know as.....

E by gum

shall I get my coat now?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scubanurse @ Aug. 27 2003,11:11)]
all right, duck, its me your mate scubanurse, hope you enjoyed your day at thorpe park, if yourhangover was as bad as mine, you would have had a lovely time.  Here's to our scuba future!!!!!

The hangover was as bad as yours, still I enjoyed a day of being soaked, turned upside down, chucked around, robbed of all cash, so a normal social event for me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts