YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the delay folks... Went to Swanage the other weekend and thought I'd share the tales of the dives with the group!

KYARRA - Friday 27th Apr 07 1355 ropes off
1st sea dive of the year after lots of blown out attempts early in the year. Just had a few freshwater dips in Stoney and Wraysbury to check out kit.
I met up with Dave Parker and we boarded the Mary Jo and said hi to Martin the skipper. Only Dave and I were on the boat and it was complete luxury! LOADS of space! After a short while we got out to the Kyarra and found that we were to be the only two on her! ACE!!! We got down the line and found the 2 - 3m of vis predicted. With a might torch it was great though and Dave and I set to work exploring! We dropped into numerous holds and spotted a load of lobsters and a few edible crabs (but none were playing and didn't want to come back to dry land with us) and even a conger. After 40 mins bottom time we started our ascent and due to not cutting any tables ran deco off my stinky stinger and padded some deep stops in and were eventually out after 69 mins.

As we got out and started lugging our kit back to the cars we saw ScubaJay and Mary kitting up for a bit of a pier bimble and weight check. After some bobbing around and finding that more weight was needed for Mary we saw them coming back to the steps to get out. Jay had obviously been working hard as he was complaining of being sweaty and promptly stripped off to show the world.... not expecting me to have my camera to hand! :D From that moment ScubaGay was born...

A quick fill was had (of cylinders... Not Jay!) and then it was off to the B&B before heading out for a feast of a dinner at the Purbeck Hotel.

The Saturday brought with it full boats and 3 more dives!
KYARRA - Saturday 28th Apr 07 0830 ropes off
Alibongo and I, Jay and Mary headed down to the pier in good time to meet up with Addive (Adrian) and load ourselves onto the Mary Jo again ready for an 0830 ropes off to the Kyarra. There was quite a hurry for our departure as there were 3 or 4 other boats that needed to load up with divers and head out to the Kyarra. After a fairly bumpy ride out and some worrying moments for Adrian with a popping HP hose Ali, Adrian and I rolled off the boat and started our descent into the murk. The vis had dropped off a bit from the previous day and was more like 1 - 2m in places now but still completely do-able. After about 10 mins of popping in and out of holds we lost Adrian but as previously agreed we all continued the dive. With torchlights and divers everywhere and the silty holds being dislodged there was little chance of staying together. I entered one of the holds and tracked down a lobster and brought him out with me. On signalling to Ali to remove my bag I dropped him though... D'oh! At about 30 mins run time the current started running pretty rapidly and so we gave the thumbs up and drifted off the wreck and blobbed up whilst drifting. A nice little dive for all.

OLD HARRY DRIFT - Saturday 28th Apr 07 1230 ropes off

Ali and I still had a bit of air left in our twins and so decided to just do a short drift as the 2nd dive. Jason and Mary joined Adrian, Ali and I for this and we headed out towards Old Harry for a nice shallow scenic dive. Mary was after some shells to decorate the bathroom so I took my goodie bag to see what I could find. Unfortunately she suffered some seasickness on the way out and the dive was over before it began for her. :( After I'd sorted out some weighting issues Jay dropped in with me and as is commonly the case with our drifts we descended and that's where our buddiness ended for the dive. Same ocean diving. We both came up with shells... Jason with some ammunition shells, me with some pretty sea shells and a spider crab :) Did see what looked like some big gun shells but they were too heavy to lift :(

CARANTAN - Saturday 28th Apr 07 1430 ropes off

We needed a quick turnaround between dives and needed a rapid fill. The great people at the airfill station obliged and we were back on the full boat, kitting up as we bounced over the waves. Ali had opted to sit this one out as she was suffering with sea sickness. The Carantan is a small, narrow wreck and so is also quite difficult to shot. Martin is a wonder at this though and hits it well each time. To make sure of this he asked Adrian and I to descend first and send up a small buoy when we had made sure the shot was on the wreck. The wreck is at 30m and as the vis was getting darker and darker I decided to turn on my mighty greenforce at about 22m.... then I tried again.... Then in my head said a swear word after thinking I should have re-charged the little blighter overnight ready for the 3 dives that day!!! So I switched to my back up LED torch and we hit bottom. After some brief communications and investigations it was deduced the torch wasn't coming back on today. We dragged the shot a couple of metres onto the wreck and sent up the marker.
Adrian and I stuck close as a buddy pair and did a bit of exploring whilst having the wreck to ourselves and although we kept drifting off of it we came back to it each time and explored a little more. With 2-3m of dark vis I think this would have been an excellent dive had my torch been working fully. Unfortunately it meant that I would leave it for another day and when Adrian had got to the pre-arranged 100bar we made an ascent together and cleared my computer before making our way back onto the boat to meet up with the others again. Mary had again been feeding the fish with her breakfast and so stayed on the boat.

This was a great couple of days diving and the weather and company was spectacular! I love Swanage and can't wait to get back down there again for another sunny weekend!

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
Friday and Saturday were definitely the days to be diving. Saturday was good in Weymouth, but Sunday deteriorated, and Monday was a lost cause.
Sounds like you had some good dives, thanks for the report :)

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Friday and Saturday were definitely the days to be diving. Saturday was good in Weymouth, but Sunday deteriorated, and Monday was a lost cause.
Sounds like you had some good dives, thanks for the report :)
Do try to keep up Derek , this report is for April.:angel:

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Nice report :)

I wonder when reference to it will crop up again ;)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Well I see that Paul has already noticed the thread, so Dover will be hilarious the next time I go.

You wait Simon........there will come a time, and when it does - I'll be there, and payback will be ssswweeeeeetttt.:angry: :teeth:

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Digger and I have discussed this at some length - and frankly - you're a very attractive man ;)

Reactions: Buoyant Babe

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Transvestites and/or ladyboys?

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
My wife took a look and she reckons your fit M8.

Mind you she did sigh, and ask why all the good looking ones were gay :D

ATB

Mark Chase

Reactions: 3141592654 and HP

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well that's my good deed for the day done! :D May the hilarity run and run! :D

·
10,161 Posts
So Jay or is that Gay ;) have you ever met Monty? :)

If you are going to strip off like that in Dover can you please wear clean boxers mate ;)

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
So would the YD massive like to speculate as to whether Scubagay is a pitcher or a catcher? I have to say that with those skanky boxers it's unlikely he'll be getting much action at all *tsk**tsk*

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
So would the YD massive like to speculate as to whether Scubagay is a pitcher or a catcher? I have to say that with those skanky boxers it's unlikely he'll be getting much action at all *tsk**tsk*
I neither pitch nor catch. I am catnip for girls and they are the only ones lucky enough to get some of Jay action.

Why thank you. Now if only my true target demographic would notice this fact I would be a happy man.:frown:
Transvestites and/or ladyboys?
Actually.....believe it or not, my hot target is the ginger girl from girls aloud. Now if she saw this thread and got in touch with me.......

My wife took a look and she reckons your fit M8.

Mind you she did sigh, and ask why all the good looking ones were gay :D

ATB

Mark Chase
I used to like you. but then I stopped.:)

Well that's my good deed for the day done! :D May the hilarity run and run! :D
You are still a tit.

So Jay or is that Gay ;) have you ever met Monty? :)

If you are going to strip off like that in Dover can you please wear clean boxers mate ;)
The mankiness was sweat from the rushed weight check we had done, not wee.........

Oh why am I bothering anyway. I am obviously going to be YD's token gaylord now anyway.

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Oh why am I bothering anyway. I am obviously going to be YD's token gaylord now anyway
Got it in one :D

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Look. I am the exception. Good looking and NOT gay.

Clare - back me up. I passed fundies for a reason. let me summon the power of the dark ones to stand my corner.

:teeth:

Oh for god's sake. There is music on it as well. Simon must die.

·
10,161 Posts
I was expecting the Village People to be the music though ;)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts