YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Sorry,

I may just being a tw*t again, but is this serious or a jest? If it is serious (worrying), it marks the sorry beginning of be able to buy your diving course at Tesco along with your home insurance and groceries.......

Something evil this way comes.......

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Yes people, this ridiculous item is indeed no piss take. As Gavin has said, you can look it up and buy it for about £15 on the net.

What really make me mad, as a PADI instructor I didn't know it existed (and it does have some PADI affiliation by the looks of things) and at first glance seems to give out some unsafe and downright stupid advice. Needless to say I can't find anything on the PADI website - even in the Pro section. Mind you, it took ages for them to tell me that RDPs were being recalled.......

Still, I'll continue to pay my annual fees to be made to look like a prat by the publication of this sort of rubbish....

Anyway, off my soapbox now and I'll get me coat 'cos I'm off to write a book myself in time for my PADI Distinctive Literature Speciality !

Dive safe all and happy reading

Paul

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>The phrase Mc Dive comes to mind.

Michael

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Look out GI3 Microsoft are on the case. We will have Bill Gates configuration which basicly meens he nicks the best bits off of every one else, pretends he invented it and gives the training away free as long as you buy his own brand equipment,

Makes JJ and GI3 look like kindergarden

Mark Chase

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Free - with every pack of Corn Flakes......'kin outrageous.

Not only does it undermine the livelihood (where they could scrape it) of PADI instructors everywhere, it allows an 'unused-to' public the 'grab-n-smash' availability of a Woolworth's Sale!

'Add Two Sugars-n-Stir' diving......by numbers.

Look forward to the next set of BSAC 'death-by-diving' surveys. A sad set of information for divers.

Good luck ALL - and dive safe, ALWAYS.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Hmm... if you check the Dummies website, it says the book gives "In-Depth Advice on How to understand what it takes to get certified"

So hopefully, it's pushing itself as an ADDITION to proper tuition, not an alternative..

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Sad but take this with a pince of salt. It's probaly quick toilet read and doubt this is anything other than some extra literature to the holiday maker who would want a holiday dive. I'm curious to see it but no way will I buy it!

As by having PADI associated with it it was an opportunity for them to market their name, again a commercial decision where they hope that someone who will buy the book will say -ha! if I dive I must go with PADI!

Rememebr there are many categories of divers: 1) Those who dive on a holiday and will not really dive again, possibly on their next holiday. 2) Then those who dive occasionaly making an effort to go out throughout the year and looking to expand theuir diving. and 3) Those who are insane like ourselves who have their own equipment and go out regulary.  In the end the book is for the first category. Imagine getting this as a present from a family member for birthday/Christmas!

I'm not impressed that John Michel Cousteau is endorsing everything, I am beginning to think its commercial on a name, maybe he does some good work but his name is popping up everywhere.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>You just know that there's going to be some people who buy this, then buy the kit without any proper training.

If there's one consistent thing I've found about human nature it is the unbelievable amount of effort that some people will put into  avoiding good systems developed specifically for their own protection!. I'm sure established YD-ers will know what I mean when I say -  what's the publication date for the "CCRs for dummies" book ?

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]avoiding good systems developed specifically for their own protection!
PADI forbid deco diving, 'for people's protection'.
BSAC forbids using pure Oxygen on deco stops, 'for people's protection'
Dive computers, tables, and commercial software typically demand more deco than the algorithm actually requires, 'for people's protection'

Screw all of them, I'd rather find out the facts and make an intelligent decision about the risks than rely on Big Brother to tell me what's safe and what's not.

C'mon, people, let's not blow this out of proportion.

Face it, there's any number of books that tell you how to scuba dive - my local library has "Teach yourself to scuba dive in a weekend" on the shelves, for crying out loud!

And with Ebay, Amazon, and the like, there's no real barrier to stop people getting hold of the training materials produced by agencies.

Anyone with a modem and enough patience can teach themselves right up to trimix with accelerated deco, the number of websites about diving there are in the world.

This Dummies book is NOT a new source of information bypassing established agencies, it's just a new addition to the crowd.

I really don't see the point in getting worked up about it.

P.S. I've encountered at least half a dozen "Build your own rebreather for dummies" sites out there...

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Don't get me wrong Dom, I'm all for people removing theirselves from the gene pool if they choose to, otherwise we would have no Darwin Awards ;)

But I was making a more general comment on a wider range of "not following procedures", like some of my colleagues who don't wear gloves when handling (and I mean physical contact with) carcinogens etc - it's their choice but I reserve the right to point out that they're being incredibly stupid.

BTW did you get the message about the check valves

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Mar. 16 2003,12:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm all for people removing theirselves from the gene pool if they choose to, otherwise we would have no Darwin Awards ;)
Hey, didja hear there's a new volume out?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]BTW did you get the message about the check valves
Ummm... rings a vague bell but I can't recall anything about check valves...

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Mar. 16 2003,12:26)]I'm all for people removing theirselves from the gene pool if they choose to, otherwise we would have no Darwin Awards ;)
Yes Stevie,

And sometimes the gene-pool needs a little chlorine  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Good un Bren, I'll be stealing that in the near future  

Dom, couldn't get onto Scubadiy to post re the p-valve, so if you can pass the info along  - B&Q stock "speedfit"  brand double checkvalve 15mm diameter, plastic, about 4" long, £6.26. (this info should also be in  YD-PM I sent you yesterday)

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Cheers, Steve, I'll check that out!

Oi! Mods! Why haven't I received Steve's message?

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Ah, an outbreak of morale!  I think that if there is more info about a subject then that's likely to be a good thing.  And if it encourages more diving then so much the better.  Hang on, we're dangerously close to April the 1st here aren't we?!!!

OK, I'll bite.  If this book exists, I'd bet my left twin that there will be huge disclaimers along the lines of "go and get trained by a professional agency" in it.

And before we get too carried away, what's to stop people getting info on the internet, and just doing it?  Like, erm, here for example?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts