YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got to say this dive season would of been Crap this year if it had not been for Bob ( Halton charters) diving the wrecks at scapa flow. Thanks Bob.
My question is lots of divers on yd have been diving in uk for years. Is this bad weather too be expected every year. Does The law of avareges say it's usually better weather than what we are getting this season.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
This is my worst year for diving ever and i have been activly diving in the UK for 7-8years.

Bad luck or not id say 60% of my diving has been blown out and of the dives I have got in most were in a force 4+

Last year we had F2 -glass flat on most of the dives, it was lovley.

ATB

Mark

·
diving member
1,996 Posts
I have got to say this dive season would of been Crap this year if it had not been for Bob ( Halton charters) diving the wrecks at scapa flow. Thanks Bob.
My question is lots of divers on yd have been diving in uk for years. Is this bad weather too be expected every year. Does The law of avareges say it's usually better weather than what we are getting this season.
explain season to me please

steven

·
diving member
1,996 Posts
April to October for sea diving in the UK. All year if you use inland stuff or go abroad. At least that's what i thought was meant by the term diving season.:)
strange I managed to do more diving from October last year to April this in uk waters than I have done since april to now...... which is why I put the question in.
Really you can dive all year in the uk - try it!!

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Hmmmmm.
Would seem so, pretty bad sea conditions and weather.

All is not lost still another 2 months for things to get better!!!!.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
strange I managed to do more diving from October last year to April this in uk waters than I have done since april to now...... which is why I put the question in.
Really you can dive all year in the uk - try it!!
Similar here, Oct and Nov last year were slow, but Dec-Apr this year have been good, well apart from Feb, with March being a cracking month :)

Edit:- March - What a great months diving

·
Mark Milburn
4,077 Posts
April to October for sea diving in the UK. All year if you use inland stuff or go abroad. At least that's what i thought was meant by the term diving season.:)
There is no season, there are seasonal divers.

This year is about the same, dive wise, as any. We're still diving loads down here. There has had to have been a lot of last minute changes and re-organising but there's usually somewhere to dive when we want to.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is no season, there are seasonal divers.

what i meant by season is when we likely to have nice weather less wind which is in the summer april to oct. I Just a thought if weather stays as it has been i will have to change my dive plans to mostly diving in scapa as there even in bad weather you can still get a dive in .

But sombody posted there is still two months left which could be the best uk diving on record.

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Do you not think that some of you might not be in danger of over-generalising here? I think maybe some are making the common error of mistaking "The South" for "The UK". We get it here too, NSW people think the same about Sydney/NSW in the context of Australia as a whole.

From what I'm understanding, the normal wreck sites in exposed deep water in the Channel have taken a hammering but this does not appear to be the casde, or at least not to the same extent, in other parts of the UK. (ie NE England, Scotaland etc).

From personal experience, I can recall two occasions where I spent a week in Oban in glorious calm weather in Summer, whilst England had several days of storms, floods etc.

I'm looking at this from afar but I'd be interested in how divers north of Watford Gap are finding things.

·
Getting Grumpy, Old and Twisted
3,115 Posts
Do you not think that some of you might not be in danger of over-generalising here? I think maybe some are making the common error of mistaking "The South" for "The UK". We get it here too, NSW people think the same about Sydney/NSW in the context of Australia as a whole.

From what I'm understanding, the normal wreck sites in exposed deep water in the Channel have taken a hammering but this does not appear to be the casde, or at least not to the same extent, in other parts of the UK. (ie NE England, Scotaland etc).

From personal experience, I can recall two occasions where I spent a week in Oban in glorious calm weather in Summer, whilst England had several days of storms, floods etc.

I'm looking at this from afar but I'd be interested in how divers north of Watford Gap are finding things.
Same again this year Richard, early June in Oban was exceptional with glass calm water and hot sunshine. I have had one day (2 dives) blown out this year and that was in Plymouth. ( Quite a high pecentage out of only 14 UK sea dives I suppose) Muddy puddles no problem though.;)

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
Apart from one weekend blown out back in March (I think) every time we've had weekends away planned we've returned with sunburn :) The viz wasn't so great at the start of the year but that's improved lots. Two dives in a puddle this year and that's 'cos I got a new wing, otherwise I've been doing all proper real diving :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
This has been the worst year since I've been diving (eight years). March was amazing. Was a shame I couldn't get in more. Then the bloom came in and screwed it all up (it still hasn't died off or it's come back in some parts of Lyme bay!).
The conditions are fine to dive if you're used to limited vis, but the sites aren't what they could be at this time of the year. It's just a bit of ball ache when you're taking people in for their first dives. It's just not happening at the moment!
It's a shame I don't have transport or my own boat. I'd be out there in worse weather than what some boats have cancelled on. I love the rough stuff!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.