YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Evenin'

I've bought me a bargain off ebay. MX10 & Strobe & close up lens for 137 quid. Smart. Only problem is I haven't got a clue what sort of settings I should be using. I realise that this is just the start of a very long learning process, and was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice or point me in the direction of some online instruction.

I've managed to read a fair bit of advice on the net about the more general principles of underwater photography (ie get close, and bracket) but haven't found much on the MX10.

I'm off down the pool on Wednesday to shoot a roll of film at the pool tiles, but would appreciate some very basic advice on where to start on the MX10: What f-stop should I start on (I'm using ISO 400 film in the pool), and does the MX10 have a TTL setting (is this the 'auto')

Apologies for being thick here,
   Janos

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Hi Janos,
I strongly recomend you get "The New Guide to Sea and Sea", by Joe Liburi and Cara Sherman (ISBN 0-9621111-3-9). It is the definitive bok on underwater photography with Sea & Sea cameras, lenses and strobes and answers all your questions. Any diveshop that sells Sea and Sea should have the book. Regarding the flash, it's not clear from the book exactly how it works on the auto setting but I don't think it's TTL although the end result seems to be the same – I quote:"guesless f-stop figuring". Good luck with the camera. I haven't used it myself – had the simpler MX-5 and am now trying to learn to use the MotorMarine IIEX – but have seen nice pics taken with it.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Hi Janos,

I use the Mx-10 myself and as think that ISO400 is F4.5 and F8 in auto mode - It should tell you on the YS40-a strobe. I personally don't use this stobe as I have the Bonica neon which slaves off the internal flash and screws into the tripod mount at the base of the camera.

I have to agree with John though about getting the book - it's a great help.

Hope this helps,

Noel

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Cheers for the book recommendation guys. I'll go huntin' tomorrow.

Now all I need to do is take several rolls of dodgy [1] pictures and the learning process can begin.

Laters,
  Janos

[1] - Not that sort of dodgy, unfortunately

·
Registered
141 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Once you have figured out how not to flood your camera, set it to F8 and get in the water! Books are for losers.

Happy snapping.  

1 - 5 of 5 Posts