YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A feel the need for a gentle rant....

Isn't what a person says more important that how they say it?

So why the comments about people's spelling, grammar, etc? Is YD going to spin out of orbit and crash and burn because someone has forgotten a comma, misspelt 'a'?

I think this forum is great, quality information, very funny and frequently caring as has been shown so well this week. So could we show a bit of understanding here as well.

I have several friends who have dyslexia and have counselled people who have had to continually prove that they are not stupid or rude because they can't spell in the same way the rest of us can.

Spell/grammar checks do not necessarily help either. How often have we used them and still got it wrong?

So could we just ignore the blips (apart from comedic effect!) and enjoy what they have to say?

Please? ( eeek I'm going to get redded... run away....run away!!!)

·
Is somewhere else!
4,728 Posts
I always thought all those pedantic posts about grammar were ironic digs at people they have a friendship with.
No one ever takes that stuff seriously do they?

Personally I write as well as I can which is still pretty rubbish tbh, but I dont mind being reminded of Proper English on here.
In fact I quite like it. It helps when I'm having to respond to Mr Chumley-Bumstead Esq's emails at work.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
You don't go to a job interview without taking a little care in your appearance do you? Therefore you ought to present yourself on-line as well as you can too. Yes, some of us genuinely struggle with English but a lot of us are just lazy and claim dyslexia.

There are several people on YD who present themselves badly. I don't tend to read their stuff because it's so poorly written. It may well be my loss.

And before you all jump down my throat, my brother was diagnosed as Dyslexic aged 13 (he's now 40) and I struggled with my written English for many years so I do have an idea of what it's all about.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't go to a job interview without taking a little care in your appearance do you? Therefore you ought to present yourself on-line as well as you can too. Yes, some of us genuinely struggle with English but a lot of us are just lazy and claim dyslexia.

There are several people on YD who present themselves badly. I don't tend to read their stuff because it's so poorly written. It may well be my loss.

And before you all jump down my throat, my brother was diagnosed as Dyslexic aged 13 (he's now 40) and I struggled with my written English for many years so I do have an idea of what it's all about.
Fair enough, but then this is not a job interview. Whilst I am sure people will pull out all the stops at an interview and when compiling their CV, why does it need to be a factor when people are chatting in a forum?

By the by, I'm writing this in my flannelette nightie with my fluffy puss slippers on! Have I got the job?:D

·
Not in the YD clique......
241 Posts
The odd spelling mistake here and there isn`t an issue.
However, the post we`re all referring to is just plain painful to read.
This guy is selling equipment and cant even spell Suunto ffs!
It reads as if it were written by someone who doesn`t speak english as their first language.
Couple that with the fact that he only joined YD today and it looks dodgy.
Pedants are tiresome but first impressions in this case were valid.

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
It reads as if it were written by someone who doesn`t speak english as their first language.

It's not just that one. That is just one of many lately. There's no need for it, and if people have trouble reading the posts then look at another one.

It isn't rocket science!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can understand the initial questions as to whether he was 'dodgy' or not. That still doesn't mean there is a need to pull the guy for his spelling.

I don't understand why you have mentioned how it reads "as if ..... their first language" - is that a requirement on this site?

Also, pulling people for their spelling has happened several times, and quite harshly too. Looking at whether or not he is a genuine poster is fair enough but please, not his spelling.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Fair enough, but then this is not a job interview. Whilst I am sure people will pull out all the stops at an interview and when compiling their CV, why does it need to be a factor when people are chatting in a forum?
No, it's not a job interview but so people are occasionally trying to be taken seriously. I think the thread that caused this anti-grammar backlash was started by someone trying to sell something - so wanting to be taken seriously. And from reading his posts I sure that the main protagonist takes himself very seriously. Personally I try not to be serious but I do try to speel it awl reet.

By the by, I'm writing this in my flannelette nightie with my fluffy puss slippers on! Have I got the job?:D
You have for me dear ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.