·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:note: I love to go a wandering
But mostly in my head
And now my mind keeps wandering to a big green boat instead

Valkyrie, Valkyrah :note:

I’m sure they’ll be a trip report along soon with some pics from a ‘proper’ camera but in the meantime here’s an introduction with some woefully inadequate photos off a mobile phone. Think of this as a contents page with teaser trailers if you will

Friday 3rd August
– on our way to Scotland

Toilet stop in Perth & Bridge out of Inverness

Saturday 4th August
- Scrabster

Ferry across, gaze at Old Man of Hoy and brim over with excitement. We settle in on Valkyrie and Hazel advises us of the force 9 coming in :lightning: This means we'll head off to Kirkwall Sunday so we're safely moored up for the Monday blaster, and it really was a blaster

Sunday 5th August

Dives :
The Brummer, Scapa Flow
Max depth 32m Total dive time 44 mins
Aorangi, Barrier # 1 (on the way to Kirkwall)
Max depth 10m Total dive time 25 mins

·
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Feel the force

Monday 6th August - Force 9 day

Short video from mobile phone which 'flattens' it and this was in the morning, it got a hell of a lot stronger (loading video has enlarged it so, sorry, bad pic but you can hear it)

View My Video

Tuesday 7th August

Dives :
Loch Garry, The String
Max depth 21m Total dive time 55 mins
Lock Maddy, Inganess Bay
Max depth 13m Total dive time 40 mins

Back to Kirkwall due to sea conditions. Like..... can you see anything across the bow ? !

Despite some warnings David was keen to get to the pub and, after having conceded to just a cup of tea, he was pleased to find Deep Baloo and Kirstie were up for it.

Wednesday 8th August

Here begins David's trials for rubbing an Orkney fisherman up the wrong way down the pub last night (hee hee hee)

Due to conditions we dived the Loch Garry again but the vis seems always great and there's plenty of hunting.
Max depth 21m Total dive time 39 mins

Out to the Islands, yippee, and we dived The Char (Oceana) somewhere near Sanday (Dragon Island :teeth:)
Max depth 21m Total dive time 33 mins

Stronsay for the evening with a late slack Thursday so it's off down the pub where I enjoyed a few Highland Parks and, IIRC, Deep Baloo played a didgeridoo, or maybe it was the whisky playing tricks on me ...

Thursday 9th August

The Cotovia :teeth:
Max depth 39m Total dive time 65 mins

Excellent dive :D and I'm sure others will have suitable pictures

In the evening we set off for Burray but sadly had to turn around due to sea state. Rob and I ended up till 3am drinking Helen's Highland Park :embarassed: Thanks Helen :thumbsup: Rob assured me he was buying you another bottle :angel:

·
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Five venture out

Friday 10th August

Sea state is a concern for Hazel and she offers everyone the opportunity of taking the bus to Stromness while she gets the boat round. It just seemed all wrong to me to get off, possibly as I had now manifested quite an attachment for Valkyrie, and I really wanted to stay. I was thrilled to find David and Rob felt the same so we elected to stay on board and were rewarded later with porpoises/dolphins and a Basking shark :D

Bad pic from phone but hoping I managed to get some on the Sea & sea

·
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Re-group

So, we five arrived safely and uninjured into Stromness at about 18:30 and collected the others from here ....

After stopping for a few swift Scapas we proceeded to party the night away on Valkyrie courtesy of Hazel, Helen and Caroline. Thanks guys :teeth: I, of course, was first to bed. Long journey ahead :sad:

Sat 11th August

The result of much early morning fun (and copious quantities of alcohol for some)

Sadly :cry: I wrenched myself from Valkyrie and we started our journey back south. Scribs and I were happily accompanied by David on the Ferry and then off we went returning to Stirling via the Scenic route :)

It's horrible to be home and I've lost my 4th element socks so if anyone from the boat has acquired another pair can you let me know.

Thanks for a wonderful trip Hazel and Helen and keep an eye out for my socks please. Theyre black and probably really stinky ;)

·
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome back Sixy, it's been strangely quiet for the last week. :teeth:
Thank you :teeth: and thanks to all the other welcome home messages and greens :D It helps cope with the thought I may not get back up there for another year. I'm not sure how I managed to feel such affection for an inanimate object but I really love that boat :love:

I'm sure there will be some stunning trip reports from the others with super dooper cameras and I'm particularly looking forward to Rob's video (although I'd quite like to censor it first :eek:mg:)

Never did get that go on your scooter Rob, must do that soon :D

·
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Great pics :teeth: (couldn't green you though :frown:) I have washed/showered three times now since 'dive stamp night' and still have YD on my arm, yours has come off now.
Can't wait to see the rest of the pics :thumbsup:

2 members of "Team Canoe" ;)

·
life is too short
1,987 Posts
It was indeed a great week aboard the boat (my 6th and as far as i know final one for the year) with a lovely group of YD'ers and lets be honest on a few days some 'uber pants' weather to quote Helen.

Best dive of the week for me was the Cotovia - so many lobsters, dog fish, conger eels, gin clear viz and squeky gas :teeth:
Many hours spent watching family guy with the never emptying sweetie box, not to mention several bottles of gin & scotch.

Definately a place and boat worthy of several return trips.

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Nice to have you back Sixy, I was wondering how you got on. Check out the Valkyrie write up in this month's Dive mag!!

Dolphins and basking sharks - woo hoo, glad you had a good trip. Remember that pale is this year's brown so never mind that you didn't see the sun.

I look forward to what others say about what really went on. You weren't THAT well behaved all week were you?
:teeth:

·
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice to have you back Sixy, I was wondering how you got on. Check out the Valkyrie write up in this month's Dive mag!!
Will do, thanks. I think it's amongst my big pile of post :eek:mg:
Dolphins and basking sharks - woo hoo, glad you had a good trip.
I know. Totally chuffed we saw a Basking shark :D We also saw seals and learned how to call them :p Jo R and I got pretty good at "boo whoo - ing" When we stopped at Stronsay I enjoyed standing out at the stern under the stars looking at the crescent moon and listening to the seals communicating. Simply fantastic :love:
Remember that pale is this year's brown so never mind that you didn't see the sun.
I never was very good at being in fashion. I'm still a bit tanned from Egypt, but I look better that way even if I am out of date :)
I look forward to what others say about what really went on. You weren't THAT well behaved all week were you?
:teeth:
Actually I think I was very well behaved :angel: Partly 'cos I was finding time to read the latest Harry Potter :redface: Of course 4 from the trip won't be back from the Orkneys for at least another week so I think I'm safe :p

So what do ya reckon Vonny, can I get you up on Valkyrie for a week next year ? Maybe another North Isles trip in August again :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.