YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
"Kite is right"
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok you orrible lot..

I am after a new knife as my existing one I found a long long time ago underneath the JEL and is now a tad rusty and battered.

To be used for general digging around and line/net cutting. Going to live in a leg pocket so doesn't need straps etc, but nice and thin would be good

any recommendations ??

ta

ash

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
EMT shears. Knives are rubbish (and silly expensive)

Chris

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
T-rex ? i like mine

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a girl here, I like my little Typhoon knife with a serrated edge, blunt tip and line cutter. I've never had to stab anything yet but it sharpens pencils nicely, cuts bits of line and sits on the front strap on the BCD. Get a cheapie pair of trauma shears for your pocket, they are probably more useful than a knife anyway.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I too have the t-rex (stainless) it is a great knife, not too long but quite broad and strong, the best thing is that it has parts on it for everything you'll need, particularly line cutter. It comes with attachments to put it onto shin, or onto BCD hose and a sturdy plastic sheath.

To elaborate on purples comment, I too have never had to stap anything, or cut myslef out of difficulty, I have however used it for cutting apples, kiwi, orange peel, bananas etc for the between-dive refreshment.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
These are good little knives:

Beaver Scorpio

This one's branded Beaver but several companies sell the same knife.

Blunt tip, serrated edge, line cutter, nice size. Works for me anyway, along with a pair of trauma shears [I reckon one needs both, as an attempt to cut rope with trauma shears will demonstrate]

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I'll go with the pack and say serrated/sharp sides with a screwdriver point between them plus the mandatory trauma shears (three quid or less from B&Q). The knife is insurance and the shears do the real work.

I bought titanium 'cos I'm a poser but frankly it doesn't hold an edge as well as old stainless steel. You notice that doing a big net cutting job.

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Have you had a look at the Aqualung combined knife/shears thing?

I bought one a few years ago and it still works ok. Bit pricey though.

Still have my old Spirodag - a real knife about 5kg and makes you swim with a list :) Blunt as mud though.

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
I got a cheap 'always sharp' kitchen knife and made a sheif / sheith / sheaf / cover for it :)

I also have shears that do most of the work, the knife like has been mention is for rope and stuff that trauma shears won't cut.

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
I have this knife shears combo:

Accessories - Scissors & Knife in Pouch

Like it so far. Knife has seratted edge and line cutter. Blade is smal though so if you regularly want to dig or cut ropes maybe you want bigger. Persoanlly Ive never had to use either in anger, but always carry for that fateful day which is on the way.

HTH

Dave.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Macho knife

I'd go for shears every time, Not many great whites in the Clyde now so the big knife is not needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts