YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Right, the time has come to buy a decent torch.

Any advice on what I should be looking out for? Pros / cons of any particular technologies, standard/ rechargable batteries, Brands etc

Budget: not too much - I have a lack of the readies burning a hole in my pocket - yet I feel the dive show drawing me in like, like, like a great big attractor siren thingy.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

You will have to be a bit more explicid on what you want it for. What kind of diving are you plannig on doing with it. And if you are nightdiving you will need a backup torch as well. I use a "Kowalsky 1250 speed" and a "Tebble light" I also use a small Scubapro as a Backuplight. My Favorite is the Kowalalski because you dont have to take it apart for Charging. So  you can´t get any of the O rings in the wrong place or dirty or what ever makes a lamp leak.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Well thats back at me then - #### now I'm gonna have to think.

Difficult to be explicit really, not having done too many dives and still learning.  So really after a 'general purpose' torch - max brightness, min size, max burn time, min price.

I like the sound of not having to take apart a torch to recharge tho. also I guess something that I can recharge anywhere ie in a car!

I've seen photos of the Kowalski and they look good.

Is it possible to upgrade torches ie add different bulbs / battery packs?

Tim

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Hate to state the obvious here, but you get what you pay for. I always think theres two ways of looking at this,speaking as a chap that at one point was in the habit of losing a torch at regular intervals, I now tend to go for something that's not that expensive,  either way your looking at something not too far short of the £100 mark for a lantern type torch. The site of my buddy loosing a  UK800( £150) spiralling down into the Abyss on the Rondo "nare to be seen again" must have something to do with my philosphy:sad:.

The kalowski( forgive the spelling) already mentioned are the dogs B**locks. no disputing here you can see what you get for the money.  Quite a few of the more expensive ones have dual bulbs giving different burn durations.
These days theres not as many about that allow mains and 12v charging, 12v definitely handy if camping ete etc.

Get yourself down to the dive show , a buyers market:eek:gle:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Imported post

I too am looking for a good main light. When I opted to buy my own dive kit, funds were tight so opted to source as much 'used' kit as possible. This included two dive torches for the princely sum of £25-00. Back-up light being an Ikeliite PC, excellent, but the main, a UK D4 Sunlight, must have been named on a wet weekend in Bradford!! My cat's eyes shine brighter!
As like a few in the forum, I now have a copy of Airspeed's DIY Light book and will be starting a project shortly, but in the mean time would like to source, probably 'used', a decent main light, hopefully re-chargeable, but not crucial given the number of 'sploshes' I undertake.
Any recommendations from the erudite members?

On the subject of DIY divelights, I now have regular access to lathes, millers (one CNC) and drills. So if any of you need machining carried out on your own light projects, get in touch. My fees are reasonable, usually in GBP's! (Great British Pints!!!!)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Best place for Kowalski's I have found is Lighthouse Diving. They also sell ex-demo and second hand torches. Usually there is a decent supply f 2nd's but there is only one at the moment - a 620 in blue, good condition, minor abrasions, original casing. One of the guys in our club got their torch there and recommends them.

The 620 is usually £200

See <a href="http://www.lighthousediving.co.uk/secondhand.htm

I'd" target="_blank">http://www.lighthousediving.co.uk/secondhand.htm

I'd</a> say it's your best midrange bet. Excellent torch, sealed charging point, smart charging, bright as buggery etc.....

You could get a cheapie at Brum but for all the difference I'd go for a decent torch. Umbilicals (Lumb Bros, Green Force, Halcyon, et al) are in a class of their own price wise but not always that worth it. Also HID has advantages and disadvantages compared to halogen.

Final option? Ebay. But BE CAREFUL! Torches are the one thing on there I regularly see go for MORE than you can buy online new!!!!!

One at the mo
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1863148221

There" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws....p>There</a> was an Italian guy selling good looking rechargable torches new for circa £100.....

Also, there is a good (on the expensive end of the range) selecetion at http://www.sebascuba.co.uk/

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Paxo

Gimme a week or so and I might be able to point you in the right direction for some of the components specified in the book, I'll hopefully have a better idea after the weekend.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Cheers guys.

I must say the Kowalski's do look good but given the price I would be looking for a #### good bargain - even £130 would be pushing it after paying for all the other equipment.

I do like the idea of making my own tho.  You'll have to let us know how ya'll get on with it.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

I'll show you my DR4 tomozza - it's not bad for 80 note

Mrs Gavster's buying a UK8 tho'

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

My second-hand big RoHo torch (the one made from a car headlight) cost my girlfriend 70 quid (birthday pressie), well worth it for the power of light you get. The UK range are pretty reliable, the rechargable hand-held one is popular, the SL6 & SL4 are decent and not so expensive in case you lose them. I quite like the little Q10 for average dives, but then I  do have a reputation for quite liking the dark...
"Velcome, enter freely ov your ovn vill...."  :bat:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I knocked up my own umbilical torch for £100ish.
It runs on standard spotlight bulbs (As do a lot of dive torches, though they charge you five times the price for a replacement bulb) that I can vary any time I like - I can put anything from a 20watt to a 100watt bulb in, depending on the dive.
I usually use 20 or 35, tho, which give me a 3 or 2 hour burn time respectively, and a better amount of light than my D4R ever did..

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Sounds very interesting indeed, would you be amemable to sharing the plans, component suppliers etc with the rest of us? Paxo has already offered his engineering services in exchange for GBPs (great british pints)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Umm... let me see....

Cannister body: PVC drainpipe & end caps availble from any DIY plumbing store.

Watertight cable glands: Brass compression fittings, available from any decent plumbers.

Sealed lead-acid batteries & charger, switch & rubber switch boot from Maplins.

Torch: Butchered Maglite.

Glass disks: Any glass cutters.

Cable: Any DIY shop.

Duck tape, silicon sealant, O-rings and the like: Any decent DIY shop.

See http://www.oneandoneis2.demon.co.uk/DiveWeb/torch.htm for a few more details. I haven't had time to put a full-on "How to" guide together yet...

I WILL get a better torch body put together someday, so I can have it on a Goodman handle, but I've been busy with other things lately (The two week holiday and new weight system, for starters)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Good call ! Far more attractive than paying 300-400 quid for similar OEM stuff. Does the gaffa/duck tape stand up ok in water?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I don't know how waterproof duck tape is, but I don't use it as the sealant: It's there to stop the cable taking too much stress, and to cover the silicone sealant that IS used for waterproofing.
I doubt it'd be suitable for any techy divers, as the walls are only 3ish mm thick, but it can go to 35m just fine, and that's all I need it to do..

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Ah..I see. Guess you could always make a more techie torch with thicker material if you needed it.

Forgot to mention to Timing - last months Dive mag (red cover) reviewed a whole bunch of torches of varying prices. If you don't know anyone with a copy I could scan the pages and mail them if your e-mail program can handle several largish files, alternatively I could photocopy them and post them if you like but they'll be in B&W.
Let me know if this is any use to you.
Regards
Steve

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

Thanks Steve,

Just Popped to the Dive website and read the reviews there.  Must say that I'm still none the wiser after reading that tho.

I was suprised that they didn't include Kowalski lights.

I think I may get that ex-demo Kowalski 620 from Lighthouse.  At £130 it looks to be good value - just a pity about the long recharge times.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

Try and get the "Speed" vresion of it . That will charge in about 30 mins. One Bonus about the Kowalski is that you can get different reflectors for it i.e a 5° spot amd a 10° flood giving you a more versitile use for it.

Michael

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

Ok now this is typical.

After all I said about wanting a good rechargable torch that doesnt need to taken apart to charge, what do I go and do?

Thats right, I buy one that you have to take apart and is non-rechargeable.  It's the UK 100 HID.  Can't wait to try it out.

It's a pity that I'm not allowed out to dive tho.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Oh Dear, you still in the dog house then ? Is this because of the pony incident? Perhaps we could organize a petition "Dear Mrs Tim , please let Timing come out and play with us, we promise we won't let him into a dive shop..." ;)
Cheers
Steve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts