YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On easter sunday i decided to go shore diving (even though easter egg hunt sounded tempting) to parksville south of vancouver island, managed to get a group of us together in total 6 divers. One guy had a brand new high definition video camera which he was doing some practice footage with. So we drop clamber down t'entry swim out to 20 feet drop down an do a checkout. We re all good n ready to go so we follow sand bank out to 60 feet to find a fair ground rocking horse reminding me of capernwray. :angel:
Took a right to find a impressive wall with cloud sponges blooming from the cracks n crevices, dropped to 115 feet with rock cod, ling cod n rockfish everywhere, just searching for wolf eels which i want to see before i return to england. Turned back on half tank when suddenly a grey object flys by an something felt like it was tugging my fin, look back and theres a big eyed whiskery face looking back it was a juvenile sea lion wanting to play, he started spinning, looping, tugging swimming at my head at 50mph an deeking off at last minute making my heart skip a beat almost. Then he disappeared for air but returned 5 times throughout the dive he attacked the rocking horse and the video guy goyt it all on footage so hes burning me a disk then ill post it ont forum. It was only just before we got in when i said i wouldnt mind seeing a sea lion underwater. Then on the 2nd dive 6 sea lions were on the surface but thgey didnt play this time they just passed through.

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
How exciting for you. For me, its experiences like which you described that made me want to take up scuba diving in the first place.
Its a long way to go for it though, why Vancouver when the UK has Farnes and Capers for seals and fairground horses? lol

·
The plan is vital, it's something to deviate from.
487 Posts
Fantastic!

I just wish I'd seen those fairground horses...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How exciting for you. For me, its experiences like which you described that made me want to take up scuba diving in the first place.
Its a long way to go for it though, why Vancouver when the UK has Farnes and Capers for seals and fairground horses? lol
Well I came here because I was divemastering in cyprus n sharing a room with a crazy canadian from vancouver island who just wouldnt shut up about diving around the island about how nice, cold, deep the place was, so I did some research in all 3 diving encyclopedia I have and realised just how nice the place was, and got offered a job from the diveshop my buddy was from, so it seemed stupid not to take it especially seen hows theres snowboarding 30 mins away too with 12 feet of snow:teeth:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Lucky you! cant wait to see the video!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts