YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I've had the kind offer of some sheet stainless steel, I think it's between 6mm and 12mm thick.

How the heck do you bend something like this???

What sort of company does this sort of thing?  Sheet metal fabricators?  

Anyone know?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi John

I'll give Chris a ring in the morn.
He's bound to know.
Go on Iv'e got to ask!!!.... what do you have in mind for it?

Cheers
Bob

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

It's probably going to be 6mm, And your going to need hydraulics to bend it or a huuuuuuuuuuge hammer and vice.  Just buy one you tight git, you'll get a hernia trying to bend it yourself. Should get it today.:p

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

What you need is equipment that I'd seriously doubt you have. Combro have got the sort of presses I think you'll need, but then unless they're round the corner, the courier is probably going to make it pointless for the saving.

Whatever it is, I'd just buy one. It's not the raw materials that cost the money!!!

I do have a mate who can bend up to 1" thick, but it beats me as to why you'd want to. Also, if you want to cut any slots or holes, I'd do them before you bend it, as you can't get it in the bed for the laser-cutters once you've bent it.

So, what are you using it for? I presume an S/S plate? For £35, you could have a combro plate. Is it worth all the time and effort?

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

A BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG hammer Dom!

I'm hoping to make a valve guard - and before you start, that's £55 to £120!

Good point about the cutting though - so I'm after a laser cutter then?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Laser cutter is what you need. The metal goes on a bed, and is then cut by a magic beam that I wasn't allowed to go anywhere near. A lot of places have these, and failing that you might be into a milling machine, but I'd avoid it if you've got the dimesions you want to make the thing with.

And Online Scuba do a valve guard for a very reasonable price, you know. Next day delivery, no hassle service, good guarantee...

Are you sure it's worth it?

Other thing is that a valve guard which is out by just a little bit can stress a manifold and make failures more likely. That was another possible cause on the one we had blow last week. Just make sure you get it spot on, and you're fine.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Can I make another suggestion? You may find it much easier to cut and weld this sort of thickness which will probably be more than strong enough for what you're doing. That way, there's no bending at all!!!

Just another idea, trying to think round the problem, not through it!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Ritherdon

£35 + Vat + Delivery....  OK I know it adds upto about £50 all in but this is for a double valve guard.

But best of luck with the sheet steel,  and if it does not bend then you need an even bigger hammer.  

Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

You could avoid stressing the manifold by making it T-shaped and attaching it to the steel bands rather than the valves... just an observation.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

Now look you lot, I'm not spending £50 on a bit of bent metal!!! (Other than my cylinders. Oh, and my 1st stage.  DOH!). Dole money will only stretch so far!

Like the lateral thinking Digger.  And I hadn't thought about stress on the manifold either - I have a photo of a T-shaped one attached to the bands somewhere.

The design I had in mind was like a giant "7" side on.  two slots at the base allow u-bolts to attach to the necks of the cylinders.  Job done.

So, no-one knows what you call someone who bends metal then? Guess I'll have to do a search on the internet for "bender"...

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Not convinced. That's all I can say. I find that trying to make stuff like this myself never quite turns out the way it should. Especially when it has to fit something exactly, like the distance between the necks of the tanks.

If you do come up with a decent way of doing it, though, let me know. I might be interested in a similar sort of thing, as I'm going on the twinvert route at some point I think.

What about making it out of tubular steel, like the CD one? I would have thought it would be much easier to bend some tube and weld it than trying to put a decent crease in a sheet of S/S or weld it well along a join as long as some of these valve guards have. Then again, if you know a good welder...

Dom, you could put it on the bands, but how are you going to attatch it? You could weld it on, but that's a bit permanent for my liking.

Just a sec, I think I've got a mate who's selling some CD bullbars. If you want me to e-mail him, let me know. I might well get them for my set. Damn it! That's more money spent!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ July 17 2003,17:27)]So, no-one knows what you call someone who bends metal then?
Guess I'll have to do a search on the internet for "bender"...
Try

Uri Geller

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]you could put it on the bands, but how are you going to attatch it?
Ehhh... in a similar way to how I attach my backplate - there are these two threaded things called "bolts" on my bands

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

OK, my lateral thinking didn't go that far.
 Thanks for the sarcasm. Really know how to make a boy feel special, don't you?

Actually, that's a pretty good idea, but is it strong enough to be able to hold things in the right place upright? You'd have to have some sort of section that went over both bands, wouldn't you? Otherwise it would just twist when you stood the unit up on it, surely?

There must be someone out there who has done this properly, and has a website. So, photos on the web, anyone?

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Imported post

Slots, rather than holes, so u-bolts adjustable - 12s to 7s!

Guess you can see what I found on the internet under "Bender"...

Tried to sketch the guard on a touchpad - don't do this pissed...

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

If its that thick why try and bend it. Cut it but joint it , drill it tap it, bolt it.  Or god forbid get it welded.

Back when i was a tool maker (20 years ago) we didnt have lazer cutters or wire eroders wec had die files, band saws and drill bits, and we still worked to 0.001mm. It can be done it just takes time and patiantce.

Bugger I have just realized what a sad old git this makes me sound like.

Back in my day........

Bugger

Mark Chase
Pass the zimmer fraim

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Any particular reason why it has to be a double?  Two singles would still protect the valves and allow you to stand it upright if inverted.  You could also fit a single flat plate across the top on slots if you really felt the need to cover the isolator valve as well.

Anyway, oxy-acetelane torch, large hammer and a square edged vice - you're in business.  Used to manage similar sized rectangular bar like this when I customised wheelchairs.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

So, no-one knows what you call someone who bends metal then?

URI GELLAR

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seadart Bob @ July 17 2003,19:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ July 17 2003,17:27)]So, no-one knows what you call someone who bends metal then?
Guess I'll have to do a search on the internet for "bender"...
Try

Uri Geller

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Andy the Commie 2 Posted on July 18 2003,11:51
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, no-one knows what you call someone who bends metal then?

URI GELLAR
There's an echo in 'ere!

Wouldn't mind but it wasn't even great the first time round....sorry Bob!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts