YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

For ages now I've had the desire to just jack in the job and move somewhere else and lead an easier life (one which doesn't entail spending half my life in cars, airports, ariplanes etc etc).

So,  where to go?  Somewhere warmer, near the coast (obviously), good schools etc.

Where do I go for info on emigrating, visa's etc.

As I see it, I got 2 years to get this sorted as once I move over to Ireland I'll be there for at least that length of time.  This means I'll have time to get my stuff together.

Seriously folks, any advice gratefully received - especially from those that have already done this.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
Imported post

Are you looking for somewhere to live and work or just somewhere to live? My life in Thailand is great but to earn money I'm working in Saudi Arabia, not great.

It's very important to thoroughly research your intended destination, adapting to a whole new beurocracy can be very frutstrating, particularly when you don't speak the local language. Cultural issues can also lead to odd experiences if you don't do your homework.

I'd suggest deciding what it is you are trying to find (relatively easy bit) and also what it is you are trying to get away from (most ex-pats I know are basically escaping from something!). Once you know which bits of your homeland you can do without you know what kind of country to consider. For example if you are really only trying to find better weather with a relatively British lifestyle you might consider Australia or Canada. If you wanted to get away from Western politics & high taxation you might consider SE Asia.

Good luck with whatever you decide but please do your homework as a lot of people don't and it can be a very expensive lesson to learn.

Ian

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Imported post

Well, a bit like Ian I too am an expat Brit. I live in Oman which is not that far from Saudi in miles but a light year away in mentality. Life here is good if you can ignore the odd grumble and strange processes. You just have to remind yourself that instead of driving for over 1 hour in the rain to get to work you now live by the beach and go home for lunch (unless you are at the marina playing with boats).

I don't know what field you have expertise in but there are several  web sites that cater for all job vacancies abroad. Try www.escapeartist.com to start or search Google.

For more detailed info email me offline and I will tell all that I know.

Neil

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Any idea where you wanna go, I have a better than good idea what it takes to get into the States and Aus having got into both places at some point in my life. Know a bit about NZ. But thats my limit.

If you want to know more, e-mail me.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I'm currently awaitng DIMIA approving my visa to migrate to Australia....

Sorry n' all that

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I know last time we spoke ( so to speak) I lived  in Nantwich near your inlaws, now I spend most of my time in Egypt allthough I'm still residernt in England. I know quite a lot about moving within the europe if you want to pm me.

As others have said, why do you want to? that's one of the main reasons to choose your destination very carefully. I know many expats from all over the world who have given up and gone back to blighty. The other mans grass is not allways greener.

good luck

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm currently awaitng DIMIA approving my visa to migrate to Australia...
I just got a two year extension on mine because my mother is ill. So I already got one, ha ha.

Andrew

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the comments guys.  We lived in Holland for a few years before a 'forced' move back to the UK - we really enjoyed ourselves and met loads of great people - Dutch and other nationals.   All the odd burocratic differences were just things you just got on with - tho the Dutch do seem to be easy going in this respect - unlike the Italians!

We've been trying to move away again ever since but have really had no luck doing so through the companies I've worked for.  So, we are now at the stage of looking at moving off our own back.  The choice of potential destinations maybe somewhat limited tho as we now have 3 children with 2 of them at primary school.  For ease of move then somewhere in Europe would be at the top of the list given that we won't need a Visa or such nonsense but we don't speak any other languages other than English and a reasonable amount of Dutch (which is not really too useful outside of Holland).  From a language POV then clearly the above mentioned destinations (US, Oz, NZ, Canada etc) would be the obvious choices - OZ and NZ being top of that list with Canada being a close third.  I can't help feeling that I'm missing somwhere tho.

I've done a few searches on Google but got fed up wading through all the crap and that's why I made this request here.

I take on board comments about making the right choice and I've given myself a couple of years to do the research and planning but really need to draw up a shortlist and start working on it.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

If I were to move out of Sweden, which I won't, I'd choose British Columbia (Vancouver or somewhere on Vancouver Island, perhaps Victoria) for quality of life, scenery and superb diving, but you might have difficulty getting in and the weather isn't much different from southern England.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts