YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

My daughter is going abroad on her holls to the med while she is there she will be doing padi open water course but before she goes she would like to gain some diving experience in good old cold wet miserable uk.
What are your thoughts on me giving her some instruction in shallow water so she can do basic drills and get used to using her kit.She does not want to join a club and she is 19 years old.
Any thoughts, comments,criticsms,abuse,advice,slaps to the head.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Nigel, there nothing on your profile to say that you are an instructor so I'm assuming you aren't (apologies if you are). I'm also assuming that your daughter has zero experience of scuba, even in a pool scenario.

Of course the problem would be if things "went south" (and I've seen trainees have scary moments at 6m or less), I think "the law" would be all over you like a cheap coat.

Can I suggest that maybe a local club (or PADI shop) would do a try dive or two in a pool first ?

Personally, in this country, I would not recommend taking a complete beginner to a sheltered water site until I'd done a few sessions in the pool with them first.

But assuming that she's done some try-dive stuff,
what about kit? semi-dry or drysuit etc? I'm guessing you've got spare kit of your own

Alternatively there are a number of instructors(of various agencies) on this board, perhaps someone would volunteer their time, I'm happy to help if you like but we'd have to meet somewhere like Capernwray (ie half-way point), and she'd have to be talked through some basic theory first (physics of scuba lecture).

Lastly, teaching someone (whether scuba or driving or suchlike) who you are close to already, can be ill-advised, as I know only too well...  
HTH
Chee-az
Steve

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

My only sugestion would be to do her course here before she goes, i am assuming that diving in this country does not worry her. When she learns here, she will be able to dive anywhere.

Unless you are an instructor, and because she is your baby, you may not be the best person to teach her, i would not teach my daughter.

If she thinks about it does she really want to spend tome on her holiday sitting in a classroom? i know i wouldnt, after all it normally costs a few quid to get there.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

There are many options here..... My personal view would be for her to go on her hols and do OW and then when she gets back introduce her to the cold water. When she has her c-card you can dive with her and the AOW is the next logical step. I am still taking students in at Capernwray at the moment ,5degs and it is bloody cold. It is easy for somebody to be put off by the cold who had they learnt when the water was warmer would have sailed through and continued to become used to the cold water when they have built up thier skill levels.

Just my opinion, I am sure there are those who may disagree.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Thats the way I did it, warm first, then colder, then no viz., then Dsmb, then dry suit. Worked for me and my son. Next up Shore based dive, cold and no viz. and an SMB.
One step at a time. My opinion for what its worth.
Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Imported post

Hi Nigel,
She might find it alittle more enjoyable to learn her ow in warmer waters in this time of year.
Nothing to say she is will not enjoy learning to dive over here, but at the end of the day there is so much to learn and understand at this level the coldness of the water would be one less issue for her.
Please recommed her to do her advanced as soon as poss over here when she comes back, please make sure she uses a semi dry as well as a dry suit so she can make her own mind up on which she prefers.

Tara

·
PSAI Instructor Trainer
199 Posts
Imported post

Hi Nigel Im in Derbyshire too! (nr Alfreton)

you could try go-dive who do pool try dives for a £5 in Moorways (derby city) My Daughters been 3 or 4 times prior to her doing a OW course and the guys there are happy to give them basic drills intro / instruction ie. mask clearing, reg removal and replacement, which is good of them. and I know she enjoyed.

I think you probably know about Chesterfield and Ponds forge with Divemaster scuba..

Hope this is of Help?

Ian

·
Registered
106 Posts
Imported post

Nigel,

If your daughter is going to qualify as a PADI Open Water Diver then why not sign her up for a Referral Course where she can complete the theory and confined water training before leaving the UK.  She can then complete her four open water dives in the Med.

It will certainly save her having to sit around a classroom or spending time in the swimming pool during her holidays.

Safe diving.

Kev

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Thanks every one for the advise she is going to be trained abroad and then take up uk diving

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Well done Kev.   I'd forgot about the referral course business.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts