YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a confession... I'm not a diver.

I'm actually a final year fashion student in Preston wanting to use neoprene in my collection but before I do so, I need to find out some information on certain things - suppliers of neoprene, if I can get neoprene recycled anywhere (from old suits, end of line etc), suppliers of tape, if I should sew my seams and use the tape, how do I heat seal the tape on to the neoprene seam, do I use another method to join my seams together...

If anyone has any answers to those questions, or any help at all, I would be so greatly appreciative. If anyone has any contacts too - of fabric and tape suppliers, diving shops that would give me old suits that would otherwise be thrown out, companies with a heat rolling machine I could come over and lend... Anything that could help me!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I have a confession... I'm not a diver.

I'm actually a final year fashion student in Preston wanting to use neoprene in my collection but before I do so, I need to find out some information on certain things - suppliers of neoprene, if I can get neoprene recycled anywhere (from old suits, end of line etc), suppliers of tape, if I should sew my seams and use the tape, how do I heat seal the tape on to the neoprene seam, do I use another method to join my seams together...

If anyone has any answers to those questions, or any help at all, I would be so greatly appreciative. If anyone has any contacts too - of fabric and tape suppliers, diving shops that would give me old suits that would otherwise be thrown out, companies with a heat rolling machine I could come over and lend... Anything that could help me!

Thanks guys!
Hate to put a dampner on your ideas, but have you seen the average diver in a wet or dry suit?

As a fashion it may not catch on........ :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok ok it's not wetsuits I'm actually going to be making. The neoprene's so that the garments keep a structured shape and have a futuristic vibe. Looking for old wetsuits is just so I'm being as sustainable as possible. I'm still open to suggestions of people to speak to, places to go, equipment to use, suppliers etc so do please giving me advice!

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
Beaver sell neoprene by the sheet.

However, they 'might' be able to send you some offcuts. The dive centre I worked at ordered a load of stuff from them, and as packing material in the box they used a load of 18" squares of 5mm neoprene (came in very handy for patching suits)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts