YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a couple of questions I've been trying to find an answer for, so far without success. Was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this!

1) I've got BSAC Adv Nitrox, which qualifies me up to 50% nitrox. I can obtain 100% O2 for the rebreather once I get my MOD1. Can I get nitrox mixes like 80%, for bailout in open circuit mode, if I wanted to, using my IANTD qualification?

2) I found a post from Tom Mount somewhere, which said various IANTD (or IANTD recognised quals?) quals could be combined (Mod 2 vs Adv Rec trimix - Page 4 - Rebreather World Forums. It implied that you could do more than the 10 mins of deco that MOD1 allows you to do, officially, if you have done a deco procs course. As I'm a BSAC SD + adv nitrox, I think this includes enough Deco information for them to recognise it. If this is the case, can I do >10 mins deco, and still be within the limits of my qualification as a whole?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Basically, you won't have a problem buying any nitrox mix with your Mod 1 badge. You can just tell them you use very large drive bottles for the unit if need be, but no-one is going to question it.

I don't know what the official line is, but you're going to be spending some time doing a lot of dives where you're miles off deco anyway, and when it comes you'll probably be looking at Mod 2 courses in good time.

You still thinking about RB then?

Digs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's a couple of questions I've been trying to find an answer for, so far without success. Was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this!

1) I've got BSAC Adv Nitrox, which qualifies me up to 50% nitrox. I can obtain 100% O2 for the rebreather once I get my MOD1. Can I get nitrox mixes like 80%, for bailout in open circuit mode, if I wanted to, using my IANTD qualification?

2) I found a post from Tom Mount somewhere, which said various IANTD (or IANTD recognised quals?) quals could be combined (Mod 2 vs Adv Rec trimix - Page 4 - Rebreather World Forums. It implied that you could do more than the 10 mins of deco that MOD1 allows you to do, officially, if you have done a deco procs course. As I'm a BSAC SD + adv nitrox, I think this includes enough Deco information for them to recognise it. If this is the case, can I do >10 mins deco, and still be within the limits of my qualification as a whole?
Hi David

The CCR and OC quals are in essence independant. I am CCR Adv Trimix with a 100mtr ticket. I am not OC Adv Trimix and strictly speaking my qual would not cover me to dive at such depth on OC (strictly speaking anyway!).

Not sure about the deco proc and extended deco time allowed on CCR though - haven't come across that one. Maybe you'll get an answer from someone else on this.

In terms of the BSAC Adv Nitrox qual I am afraid that it is not the equivalent of deco proc. Deco proc inc the skills and techniques to carry out accelerated deco. Its equivalent is therefore Extended Range.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Garry Whyke

·
Registered
4,683 Posts

you can do what ever you like m8 , there are dive police on the net, but i ant never seen them on a dive trip , just the odd knob that want s to tell you what you can and cant do , if you come across one of them just take the piss out of them and they will go a way ,

have fun m8

ps
i have a mod1 , and im a crap diver some times im so slow coming up the shot it take s me 120 mis but i never do deco cos its not on with a mod 1

·
Retired depth-junkie, just a holiday scooby now
1,130 Posts
i have a mod1 , and im a crap diver and some times im so slow coming up the shot it take s me 120 mins, but i never do deco cos its not on with a mod 1

:D :D :D :D :D

ATB
Gareth

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
As you are aware the mod 1 ticket covers you for limited decompression diving, I mean you can dive for almost three hours at 20m with no deco. Now for deeper diving you ideally need mod2 and you can do it combined but only if you are trimix trained on oc first. So this is not really an option for you. As a sports diver you are qual to 35m, what you do is your own business. But with mod 1 you are qual to 40m. Personally I would say go down the oc route till you know you are happy at depth(unless you just want a deco ticket and not mix diving ticket) and then swap to CCR, then you know that you are happy swapping from CCR to OC at 60m, when you need to bailout. This is just advice that was given to me and makes a lot of sense.

Whether or not you do deco is your call, you dont need a ticket but as a BSAC instructor and IANTD instructor the sports diver plus BSAC adv eanx does not really cover enough about decompression in the courses themselves, and the adv eanx course does not cover stage management whereas mod 1 will do with one stage, things like gas planning are only glossed over in the notes etc.

In my opinion if you want to do longer bts on the CCR then just work upto it, if you do not want the depth. You can always stick on the BSAC route and do DL and even AD on the rebreather so its your call, or even the BSAC SMG course on your CCR after 25 hours(dont quote me on that).

Just my 2p

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I'll get my hours up on minimal deco, and then eventually get round to MOD 2. I don't really have any desires to get incredibly deep, I just like to take my time (particularly on wrecks ;)

Cheers,

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.