YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick note to say that the dives that have been claimed as new wrecks have already been done by TecDeepBlue with various other divers from TDI and ANDI in the past 3 years.

One set of these numbers were dived by Mark Powell and Stuart Jones in 2008, another by Jonathan Thomas and Stuart Jones shortly after, with yet another wreck in the same area having been dived in 2010 by a team from ANDI Europe led by Helmuth Biechl, which returned with actual footage from the wrecks.

Tec Deep Blue showed this footage to two of the members of the IANTD Expedition which was incorrectly accredited in the IANTD Report . They are German divers by the way not Scandinavian!! You can view the report of the project at

Andi Europe - DEEP WRECK EXPEDITION

We wanted to post this information with some stills of the wreck to clear up any discrepancies as to who it was who has already dived these sites. The project was proposed by ourselves several years ago and it appears to have been piggy backed by others for commercial reasons, such as selling drysuit undergarments.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Have you addressed this with the guys who wrote the report? Perhaps they will be able to edit the information in the public domain.

Did the IANTD guys know all this? Seems odd that they would mount a large scale expedition to wrecks that are already known and dived unless there was information to be gained and research had been done.

Digs.

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Hi Stuart
I think I mentioned in the report that one of the wrecks we dived had already been explored.
I was told by a Scandinavian Team - that was by Al Wright who I believe works with you?
Apologies for any discrepancy - I don't think we "claimed" that one at all
As I quite deliberately made no attempt to describe the other wreck and there are a large number of undived marks in this depth range out there - how could you say whether you'd dived it previously or not mate?
I'd be very happy to work with you guys on this going forward - I've met Jonathan your business partner on a number of occasions and we got on very well
Had we managed to find anything significant, we would have discussed it in more detail obviously.
This is very much an ongoing thing and we would welcome wider involvement.
There are a number of significant wrecks still to be found out there as I'm sure you know, and we see this as a project lasting a number of years
Clearly no-one has the monopoly on diving deep wrecks in Malta, a number of people have been talking about this for some time, which is very different to making it happen in a sustainable and ongoing way?
The project has kindly been sponsored by IANTD UK and Fourth Element - I make no apologies for the fact or giving them a mention - these thing are expensive to put on as you know
With all this in mind - I find the tone of your post a bit odd to say the least?
All the best
/H

Reactions: Two Hats and 1138

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Howard thanks for your reply, and while no disrespect was intended to yourself or the renowned CCR divers involved in the expedition we were slightly annoyed by the discrepancy in your report regarding the video we made available.

I have not met you but your answer to our post is open and I appreciate that.

As you mentioned in your reply to our post, diving at these depths is expensive and requires a lot of funding and time by anyone who takes on the challenge.

Along with many hours of patient enthusiastic research (and some good luck) we have self funded our dives to these deep wrecks for the past 6 years so you will understand that we have developed a strong bond with these wrecks of the coast off Malta. I am sure that you will agree that this kind of diving is much less a hobby but more a passion and an obsession.

You are correct in saying that there are many marks out there, in the area that you have made your dives. Many are yet to be dived and many are nothing too exciting as the area is an old spoil ground. That is why they are often covered in large amounts of stone and debris. However there are still a few historic wrecks to be found and there have been expeditions to the area before.
For us a big part of the enjoyment is the hunt and we feel that every dive reveals something positive even if it is only to cross off a possible mark as having no historic impact.

We are always open to collaboration in these efforts and are happy to help out with information and photos to help identify wrecks, as we did with the information passed on to your team. We do this in the hope that the co-operation will work both ways though.

We very rarely post information unless we feel we have something new and relevant to interest the many wreck hungry enthusiastic divers out there and I will close by stating that we wish you luck in your ongoing project and would be glad to meet with you next time you are in Malta.

All the best Stuart and Jonathan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.