YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Evening all,

I've got a Dive Rite Rec Wing, which has two ways to dump air. One is a dump valve near my arse, the other is the hose itself (but lifting the hose up - it's not a pull-to-dump) I'd like another dump on the other shoulder, as I quite like the idea of routing the hose under my arm.

So:
Is it possible to get a dump fitted?
Can I do it myself?

Laters,
   Janos

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

I learned with a sherwood 27th hand BCD (all faded and frayed at the edges but still going strong), and loved the pull dump hose on it.  My Buddy Trident doesent have one but has the bobble pull on the opposite shoulder (and obviously the standard hose dump), and i have toyed with the idea of putting one on it.  
So far the only problem i had was when i dived the wing with only one tank. The wing wrapped around the tank and acted like two separate bladders, not letting me dump air out of one side in a hurry while going up feet first (lucky it was a shallowish dive) with the arse dump being on the other (empty) side god dammit.  Two tanks sorts this problem out nae bother.

I would contact Buddy to ask their advice.  They are very helpful and gave me a "boob strap" which pulls the shoulders together on my jacket making it waaay more comfy for the DD's

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>JANOS mate ,

What i did with mine was,,,,,,, as the pull dump was bloody awful ... just swap them round ,,

Put the bum dump on the shoulder, but sew in some stitches on the nylon part of the wing ,, front and down from the dump hole to make it stand upright more.
Attach hose to bum dump hole and what i did was to cable tie the hose to the cumber band, the inflator button was where i needed it , right in the middle of my waist,

Real easy and ya never change it back to how it was

Andy

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Janos @ Nov. 21 2003,22:08)]Evening all,

I've got a Dive Rite Rec Wing, which has two ways to dump air. One is a dump valve near my arse, the other is the hose itself (but lifting the hose up - it's not a pull-to-dump) I'd like another dump on the other shoulder, as I quite like the idea of routing the hose under my arm.

So:
Is it possible to get a dump fitted?
Can I do it myself?

Laters,
   Janos
Hi Janos.

I'm a bit suprised to hear the lift to dump is the only option on the corrugated hose.  Mine is also a pull dump.

Was the hose a special option.?

If it is a standard diverite hose (I guess they have been pull dump for some time?) have you checked to see if maybe there is another reason why it will not pull to dump, broken string or stretched in the hose.

Daz

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Nov. 21 2003,22:38)]Hi Janos.

I'm a bit suprised to hear the lift to dump is the only option on the corrugated hose.  Mine is also a pull dump.

Was the hose a special option.?

If it is a standard diverite hose (I guess they have been pull dump for some time?) have you checked to see if maybe there is another reason why it will not pull to dump, broken string or stretched in the hose.

Daz
Daz,

I've got a fixed elbow, but it was like that when I got it. How's do you find your pull-dump? Does it dump air quickly enough for you? If so, I might do some research into the cost of changing mine.

OTOH I also quite like the idea of swapping the dumps around, especially as I'm just in the process of setting up my new twins upside down...

Laters,
   Janos (hopefully going out this Sunday)

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Ahhh now the hose under the arm makes sense...

Inverted twins...

Firstly,  The hose pull dump works fine.

Secondly,  You can get away without bringing the hose under your arm with inverted twins.  Both SteveW and myself dive inverted twins.  We both used to bring the LP inflator off the post behind the left cheek (and I'm not talking face here  
) up the left side of the body, under the left armpit and into the inflator.

There is enough slack to lift the hose and dump.

Just for the sake of neatness,  I finally got a longer LP inflator hose, which I bring off the post behind my right cheek, up the back right hand side, behind the neck (tucked down into the backplate) up over the left shoulder and then down the side of the corrucated hose.

Hope that helps,
Daz

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Sorry. I should have mentioned the inverted twins - guess what persuaded me to go this route...

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll spend Saturday (post Rugby) wandering around the living room kitted up while the missus (and neighbours, not to mention any randoms walking past) give me funny looks.

Laters,
   Janos

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Thats part reason i went that route Janos ,,,,,,, twin inverted 12's ,,,, and Indies as well

Andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts