YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Gettin' busy with the fizzy..
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been playing about with ideco for the iphone as i want some dive planing software that i can take away with me with taking the laptop and just set a dive to 36m for 25mins and compared to Pro Planner below are the results, does anyone know of any app for the iphone that compares better to pro planner?

IDECO for Iphone
Dive #1
Dive: 36m for 25 [ 25 ] on Air
Asc.: 26m for 1 [ 26 ] on Air
Deco: 18m for 1 [ 27 ] on Air
Deco: 15m for 1 [ 28 ] on Air
Deco: 12m for 1 [ 29 ] on Air
Deco: 9m for 1 [ 30 ] on Air
Deco: 6m for 16 [ 46 ] on Air

PRO PLANNER
********************************************************************************
MISSION UNTITLED 11/24/09 Dive number:1
********************************************************************************
Atmospheric pressure= 1000mBar Safety factor=0%
Depth1= 36msw: 25mins 21%O2 Run Time= 25mins
DIVE 1 DECOMPRESSION REQUIREMENTS
Stop= 21msw: 1mins 21%O2 Run Time= 28mins
Stop= 14msw: 1mins 21%O2 Run Time= 29mins
Stop= 9msw: 1mins 21%O2 Run Time= 31mins
Stop= 6msw: 25mins 21%O2 Run Time= 56mins
Total time to surface=32mins
Time to first stop=4mins
CNS exposure: 7%peak, 0%dive end
CNS exposure= 0%
Max PPO2=0.96bar OTU=27units
Dive Start: Day 1 Time 00:00
Dive Finish: Day 1 Time 00:57
Surface gas=21%O2
Surface interval= 120mins
Depth1= 36msw: 25mins 21%O2 Run Time= 25mins
Depth, Gas, Stop, RT
6, 21, 25, 56
9, 21, 1, 31
14, 21, 1, 29
21, 21, 1, 28

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
I am sure in iDeco you can change the gradient factors to allow you to extend the shallow stops to get a longer 6m stop if you want.

Regards

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Is Proplanner the thing they used to give away with VR3s? If so you'll need to find something that matches the VR3's mysterious algorithm which seems to be Buhlmann with some Pyle stops.

iDeco allows you to change the GFs, so you could play with that until you find something close.

[EDIT] beaten to it :D

This is V-Planner with +2 conservatism:

36 22 (25) 21
18 1 (28) 21
15 2 (30) 21
12 3 (33) 21
9 5 (38) 21
6 30 (68) 21

Bugger that - use 30% nitrox:

36 22 (25) 30
9 2 (30) 30
6 13 (43) 30

and some O2 for deco:

36 22 (25) 30
9 1 (29) 30
6 5 (34) 100

That's better :D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Like the others said, you can change the conservatism and gradient factors in iDeco to get close to what you're used to in ProPlanner.

Or just dive the iDeco run times and get out of the water quicker? :wink:

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
Proplanner is the VR3 S/W tool isn't it?

Good luck getting anything to match that - it's a proprietary algorithm, ZHL-16 with non-user definable GFs, combined with Pyle stops and inert gas loading based on user defined conservatism.

You'd be better off either going with ZHL-16 GF as used in something like GAP or VPM-B/E as used in V-planner. Proprietary algorithms is like painting yourself into a corner - only S/W produced by that company using their algorithm is going to give you those results.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
OK, it looks like setting the GF to 30/75 gives you a similar profile (well, overall run time and 6m hang at least)

Off-topic: WTF has Brock designed it so you have leave the program and to go into the Settings menu to change the GFs? It makes tweaking profiles a pain in the arse.

·
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys just found the gf's so will have a play with them, has anyone used v planner for i phone as the £26.99 price is putting me off trying it i'm sure a lot more people would give it a go if it was around the £5 mark or if there was at least a trail version which you could play with.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
...has anyone used v planner for i phone as the £26.99 price is putting me off trying it i'm sure a lot more people would give it a go if it was around the £5 mark or if there was at least a trail version which you could play with.
I have it but don't use it much - I hate the interface. The iDeco interface on the other hand is brilliant (aside from the settings thing!)

I've also got V-Planner licences for Windows Desktop and Mobile versions. Both of those are great and well worth the money IMHO. In it's defence, the iPhone version is a lot cheaper but there's still work to be done I reckon.

·
4,501 Posts
thanks guys just found the gf's so will have a play with them, has anyone used v planner for i phone as the £26.99 price is putting me off trying it i'm sure a lot more people would give it a go if it was around the £5 mark or if there was at least a trail version which you could play with.
The models will diverge as time and depth increase especially when He is added to the equation so don't assume that using the GFs Nick has suggested will turn iDeco into Proplanner!

Vplanner is excellent across the platforms although the last iPhone version I used didn't seem to be quite there yet; although that was probably a few releases ago now.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
The models will diverge as time and depth increase especially when He is added to the equation so don't assume that using the GFs Nick has suggested will turn iDeco into Proplanner!
Yeah, good point Rob

Vplanner is excellent across the platforms although the last iPhone version I used didn't seem to be quite there yet; although that was probably a few releases ago now.
It's at 1.20 at the moment. There doesn't appear to be much happening to bring it in line with the set of features available on the other versions, but that may be due to the shortcoming in APIs available for iPhone development.

·
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just trying to get a iphone app that will give me close deco to pro planner as i've used that for a while and always felt ok after diving i know it can give longer deco stops that some but i'd rather be on the safer side of things, dont use hellium yet only a bit of nitrox and only just starting to get in acc deco.

·
4,501 Posts
just trying to get a iphone app that will give me close deco to pro planner as i've used that for a while and always felt ok after diving i know it can give longer deco stops that some but i'd rather be on the safer side of things, dont use hellium yet only a bit of nitrox and only just starting to get in acc deco.
I very much doubt you'll find something that consistently gives you similar results to Proplanner for the reasons I have already outlined. I would urge you to get over this apparent fixation with that particular model, use the money you were going to spend on S/W to purchase a copy of 'Deco for Divers' by Mark Powell. Read it.

Then, armed with a better understanding as to what is occurring within your Vr3 go out obtain any of the numerous *free* deco programmes and cut tables from those. Your Vr3 is not doing anything magical nor is it the only algorithm that will get you out of the water safely. There are others - it is OK to look at alternative options.

·
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Rob just order a copy of Deco for Divers so will give it a good read and hopfully it will give me a better understanding of deco. untill then i'll keep playing with ideco and pro planner

·
Founder of the S.F.T.D
523 Posts
OK, it looks like setting the GF to 30/75 gives you a similar profile (well, overall run time and 6m hang at least)

Off-topic: WTF has Brock designed it so you have leave the program and to go into the Settings menu to change the GFs? It makes tweaking profiles a pain in the arse.
Get the new version then, sort's this little problem out.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Get the new version then, sort's this little problem out.
Even in iDeco Pro you still have to leave the program to change things like the GF settings and is probably the only thing I dont like about it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Even in iDeco Pro you still have to leave the program to change things like the GF settings and is probably the only thing I dont like about it.
To access the settings within iDeco Pro, if you click on the field under 'Dive 1' (or whatever dive you want to change it for) where it lists depth and BT, then click 'Options' in the bottom right corner of the page that appears for selecting depth + time, you can access your GF settings (as well as descent rate, ascent rate and the depth of your last stop). Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
To access the settings within iDeco Pro, if you click on the field under 'Dive 1' (or whatever dive you want to change it for) where it lists depth and BT, then click 'Options' in the bottom right corner of the page that appears for selecting depth + time, you can access your GF settings (as well as descent rate, ascent rate and the depth of your last stop). Hope that helps.

Cheers for that I just sent an email to brock as mine doesn't have that option so might be a dodgy install of it I did have some problems getting it to download/install when I first got it so it could be something over from then.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts