YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a relative dunce when it comes to RB's I have a quick question. I am led to believe the scrubber material(sofalime?) only lasts about three hours before it needs changed. How do the boys and girls that do long cave dives(6,7 or 8 hrs) deal with this? Do they just squeeze more in and is this safe?
Peter

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Pete,

There's no such thing as an 'idiotic question' in diving - except perhaps for the one yer didnay ask! I've got 'uckall experience of RB's and I'd like to the know the answer this one ma-sell.

OK box users - fill us in!.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Scrubber duration is determined by quantity of material - bigger scrubbers last longer. The Inspiration was, I gather, tested extensively in the worst possible conditions (Cold water, heavy workload, etc) and given a 3 hour rating.

AIUI, if you want to dive for longer than that, you can either use a bigger scrubber, or gamble that your scrubber will last longer than the rating because you're in better conditions.

Plus you could take along OC stages to extend your dive time without pushing the scrubber.

Or you can get exotic with Twinspirations or that triple-redundant RB I read about somewhere a while ago..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

the longest i have been on a single-scrubber was 11 hours last year.
The duration is of course directly related to the amount of CO2 beeing absorbed. So when you scooter you are not only faster, you also produce a lot less "CO2 per km".
Most people do not understand why we carry so many scooters, but when you have to swim back, not only your gas-supply might be critical, also your scrubber gets eaten up.
We also use the Sofnolime grade 2-5mm. If we would use the fine one we might squeeze another hours, which is not necessary.

Michael

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

hi all! the scrubber duration is 3hrs on the dolphin although im not sure of how rigourous the testing was to determine this, ive used mine with the half fill adapter for well in excess of that time with absolutely no ill effects due to co2, but this is obviously proportionate to your workload. with a full scrubber ive done over seven hours but suffered sphincter convulsions and decided to stop being a tight northern git and buy some more lime.

regards and a very prosperous new year to you all

nitrox

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

My shallow surface scratching into CCR has found that the CS Luna CCR and the KISS have much larger scrubbers and can do much longer dives within the design margin. I read one artical which claimed 15hours for the CS Luna??? but this was totaly unoficial.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I've heard mixed reports about the scrubber duration of the KISS - the 990 article said 4-5 hours with coarse grade, and 50% more than that with the grade used over here.
But other places, including owners, have said that its duration was only 3 hours, same as the Inspiration.
Have to find out someday..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

woah!!! is there a new unit on the market that im not aware of?
? what the #### is a cs luna??? was that the planet roaming vehicle the septics supposedly drove round the moon or is it a klingon starship??? mind you i cant comment! .... i only watched star trek for years cos i thought spock was a vulva!..........just goes to show how disillusioned we can be eh!

regards

nitrox  

(Edited by nitrox at 7:14 pm on Jan. 5, 2003)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Last time I checked Cis-Lunar went up the spout (filed for Chapter 11 as the Yanks say) bankrupt? That was 18 months - 2 years ago?

Could be wrong.... Did see an email about it on DiveOz

(Edited by Driftwood at 7:27 pm on Jan. 5, 2003)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts