YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Wrecked Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the last few weekends have been frustrating, exhausting, demanding, rewarding and most of all, fantastic fun. Sunday was the last day of my IDC and now the IE looms next weekend in Bristol.

I now find myself reciting strange incantations like some mad druid in mid summer. ”One one thousand, clip, flick, prepare, breath” “I particularly liked . . . However I did notice . . . Therefore may I suggest . . .” I think that my friends and family think that I have finally flipped.

With a few evenings of revising for the theory exams I think that I am about as ready as I can be, but the old nerves are starting to kick in a bit.

From the vast experience of YD does anyone have any tips/tricks for preparation, or experiences from their IE that they can pass on to help me not spend the next few days within close proximity of the toilet :embarassed:

Many thanks
Geoff

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
Just relax, almost everyone will be bricking it. By the end, you will be laughing your head off, we were. Had a really good time with the Examiners. They were firm, but fair.
If you do fluff something, listen to what went wrong, grab someone to practice on, then go again (assuming it is something you are allowed 2 shots on).

Are you going on you tod, or with a few from the same centre? We went as a group of 4, and made sure we had between us one of absolutely everything that might have been needed as a prop/non-diving aid (liftbag, SMB/Reel - that sort of thing)

And don't forget "In the unlikely event...." :)

·
Wrecked Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sean. There are a group of six of us all going from Divecrew in Bracknell so at least we have each other to bounce off a bit. Over the last few weekends we really do seem to have built a great team.

Good tip about the prop box, we have been gathering together all sorts of weird and wonderful things to use as non training aids so hopefully have that covered.

I am looking forward to in a sort of masochistic way, but have not been in an exam situation for quite a few years, hence the nerves.

Geoff

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
One question, how comes you are doing it over in Bristol? PADI came down and did one for 44 of us, using a school in Leatherhead and Wrayspuddle for the OW stuff.

Is it just a matter of timing?

·
Wrecked Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sean

Not sure why Bristol. I know that there are a total of 30 of us doing the IE.

The exams and confined water are at Badminton School on Saturday with the open water at Vobster Sunday.

If anyone is down at Vobster Sunday please give us some encouragement!!

regards
Geoff

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
There is a couple going from Divestyle too - Hope it goes well for you all :)

oh - and as a CD said to me - IE stands for 'It's Easy' - bear that in mind and you'll be fine, just repeat what your CD has taught you on the IDC :)

Sean - They do IE's all over the place.

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
Sean - They do IE's all over the place.
I know.

I was just wondering why someone from Bracknell would drive all the way over to Bristol, when there is the possibility of one more local.
Then again, as Bracknell is near the M3/M4, Bristol is quite an easy run.

I assume it is just to do with timing, as other dates might not fit in with their needs.

We had a 3 month gap between our IDC and IE, as we wanted to do it fairly local.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
From the vast experience of YD does anyone have any tips/tricks for preparation, or experiences from their IE that they can pass on to help me not spend the next few days within close proximity of the toilet :embarassed:
Well, not from vast experience but here goes: -
  1. Chill! Try to stay as calm as you can and stay focused! Get some good sleep the night before - day 1 is usually very busy (in my case 6:30am until midnight) but then, as a plus, day 2 is much quieter.
  2. Bring everything - literally! If in doubt, bring it. Better to have it and not need it, than vice versa! That also applies to potential non-diving props etc.
  3. Deal with the tasks one at a time. Focus on what you have to do next and don't worry about something tough that you have to do tomorrow - you've got ages before you need to worry about that and if you don't concentrate on the task in hand, you're more likely to make a dog's dinner of it and fail before you even get to the "tougher" part! I got given probably the worst of the OW skills for one of mine but the above advice paid off for me.
  4. RTFQ - read the exam questions VERY carefully then read them again. They are very trickily worded - I know of people who have failed because of not doing this.
  5. Help each other - you're all in the same boat so stick together, bounce ideas of each other and be there for support etc. I was lucky and had a great group. This applies to the practicals too - don't be an ass and make it tough for each other!
  6. Try to enjoy it! You are meant to enjoy this game as well!

·
Life is rushing past!
1,206 Posts
As Sean has said relax take your time and if you do muck something up you'll be able to have another go.

If you happen to fail any of the exams you can have a second chance (I did on the physics one). The only one you can't retake is the standards one as that is a one shot exam. If memory serves I think only 1 person failed that on ours and that was because english wasn't her first language and the exam was in english.

Take a prop box and remember to make the teaching demo fun and involve the rest of the class, it should be the group you're with so you will know them. that makes it slightly easier.

Oh and if you loose something in the water before you start teaching, don't go for a solo dive to find it!!!!!!

·
Wrecked Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the advice guys.

The main tip seems to be to keep calm and enjoy it. Think that may be the hardest tip to stick to.

I must say that we have a fantastic and supportive group going, including our CD who is mister enthusiasm personified so I dont think motivation will be a problem. I guess its just fear of the unknown.

Deep down I know that we have been well prepared and will probably enjoy it once we are there, I just wish it was tomorrow :teeth:

Thanks again for the support.

regards
Geoff

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Hmm, let me think ...

As already said, take each stage of the weekend at a time - forget the presentations while you are doing the exams, forget the rescue scenario, till the presentations are done - don't overwhelm yourself - just breath in, breath out, and relax :D

For the in water stuff - make sure that you are in control of your DM, and therefore s/he's in control of the student/s you aren't concentrating on.

Erm, know your knots (Animated Knots by Grog) especially the bowline.

Re the 'useful' box (don't call them props, they are aids to training):

• A map or atlas, for the 'holidays'
  • A phone 'for communication'
  • A toy car - anything about cars can be used for the 'contact' and a 'little bit like diving' ;)
  • Project Aware, or EANx manual - for future courses
they will cover almost anything

And finally, they are probably holding it in Bristol, so they don't have to pay for the Instructor Examiner to have a hotel ;)

Oh, and of course good luck - at the end when you've passed you'll be totally underwhelmed - after all that time that you've spent studying and working for it, you'll get your life back and wonder what to do with the time :D

·
Wrecked Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As already said, take each stage of the weekend at a time - forget the presentations while you are doing the exams, forget the rescue scenario, till the presentations are done - don't overwhelm yourself - just breath in, breath out, and relax :D

For the in water stuff - make sure that you are in control of your DM, and therefore s/he's in control of the student/s you aren't concentrating on.

Erm, know your knots (Animated Knots by Grog) especially the bowline.

Re the 'useful' box (don't call them props, they are aids to training):

• A map or atlas, for the 'holidays'
  • A phone 'for communication'
  • A toy car - anything about cars can be used for the 'contact' and a 'little bit like diving' ;)
  • Project Aware, or EANx manual - for future courses
they will cover almost anything

And finally, they are probably holding it in Bristol, so they don't have to pay for the Instructor Examiner to have a hotel ;)

Oh, and of course good luck - at the end when you've passed you'll be totally underwhelmed - after all that time that you've spent studying and working for it, you'll get your life back and wonder what to do with the time :D
Great knot demos, thanks ScubaSue. I did struggle at Wraysbury on Sunday with 5mm gloves. Have now been practicing with gloves on and eyes closed. My wife is getting quite concerned :angel:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I did my IE in feb and i was bricking it but my CD said to me

IE stands for 'It's Easy'

I did not really beleve him on the day but it realy was easy (after the time). as long as you were getting passing scores on your IDC you just need to understand that it is the same and you can do it. 'Easy'
Good luck and have fun with it

Reactions: Miraman

·
6,935 Posts
I did my IE in feb and i was bricking it but my CD said to me

IE stands for 'It's Easy'

I did not really beleve him on the day but it realy was easy (after the time). as long as you were getting passing scores on your IDC you just need to understand that it is the same and you can do it. 'Easy'
Good luck and have fun with it
Same CD as a lot of us have used then ;)

Reactions: 19696

·
6,935 Posts
Great knot demos, thanks ScubaSue. I did struggle at Wraysbury on Sunday with 5mm gloves. Have now been practicing with gloves on and eyes closed. My wife is getting quite concerned :angel:

We've got (to my knowledge) three IDC's worth of students tied up to chairs, wet kit racks and pillars all over the place - we'll let them go soon ;)

The Instructor Examiners aren't evil b*st*rds, even though you might think so at the time :rolleyes: - they don't want you to fail (even though it's possible - you just go through to the next round), they will help wherever possible - honestly - just enjoy one of the greatest challenges of your life :D :thumbsup:

Reactions: Miraman

·
Registered
193 Posts
Same CD as a lot of us have used then ;)
I did find him on YD.
taking my frist open water dive 1 students in the sea was worse than the IE.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.