YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Completed the BSAC Instructors Foundation Course over the weekend just gone, and would recommend it to any sport diver or above, we learned so much from the great bunch of guys running the course, very intense with barely any time at all between lectures or pool training but it has to be this way to cram so much into a relatively short period of time, a great big thankyou to all the Instructors on the course for giving up their time and expertise, particularly Roy Sherwood ( my groups personal mentor ) and Jack Ingle for providing overall guidance and injecting a lot of humour into the w/end ( even if he tells fibs about not having to present a personal lecturette on the first morning ) !:eek:mg:

·
bored
2,308 Posts
I did this course a few years ago. I recall someone on here saying its the BEST course BSAC does. I enjoyed it very much.

I think I should get round to doing the next courses.. :embarassed:

Dave C
That is certainly a comment I`ve made, and I will stand by it.

I would recommend the IFC to all divers wether they wish to become instructors or not(did mine in 2002, only need to do P.I.E. now, is eight years a record?), its the sort of course that you cant fail to learn something useful about your own diving from.

Agency bashing crap aside, the instructor training scheme is something that BSAC does really well.

·
Not fat or bearded but a BSAC Diver.......
163 Posts
That is certainly a comment I`ve made, and I will stand by it.

I would recommend the IFC to all divers wether they wish to become instructors or not(did mine in 2002, only need to do P.I.E. now, is eight years a record?), its the sort of course that you cant fail to learn something useful about your own diving from.

Agency bashing crap aside, the instructor training scheme is something that BSAC does really well.
8 years........................probably!

This might help and if you need to do some refreshing before the exam your local coaching team would be happy to help.

BSAC / Events 2010

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi, I was planning on doing the IFC in Leeds this last weekend but it looks like there might be a possibility of running one in Newcastle soon. Glad to hear it was a successful course although the boat handling one has been the best BSAC one I have done to date!

·
No longer a diver :o(
698 Posts
If you go in with the attitude that they're there to pass you and you nail the STEP and PAVE stuff then it's a doddle. Oooooo plus practice loads.
What's STEP & PAVE??

·
你好。请关灯!
801 Posts
What's STEP & PAVE??
He's getting mixed up with Builder Standards And Certifications In Fundamental Concreting.

:D

They're acronyms to help you remember how to evaluate your lessons. No need to jump the gun - they'll tell you on the IFC. It is an excellent 2 days.

·
aka,,, Tom Thompson
3,626 Posts
ifc was great fun , a course thats worth doing wether going on to instruct or not , it rates with padi rescue diver , both are a bit of an eye opener as to whats going on round you , ,, the instructors on my ifc were fantastic ,,, maggie and dave whellam , both outstanding . roy ralph and all our locals too of course.
couldnt reccomend it enough ..
congratulations too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's STEP & PAVE??
S safe
T technically correct
E effective teaching
P progressive

P rogressive
A accurate
V visual
E effective

STEP is essential criteria used to consruct a practical pool session and PAVE to structure a theory lesson, hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
The IFC is probably the most satisfying course to teach on. It's intensive without putting any pressure on. I haven't done any for a while but should be back on the instructor training circuit next year. I hope to see some YDers taking part. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Kev from K+E
Roy Sherwin ,and Jack Ingle trained me for the last 13years .their background from the army and attention to detail are brilliant, and the backbone of bsac.
I have also done tdi courses with Jack, round at his house. its no accident that Roy has been London regional coach twice and he has helped out at Hampton sac and Brunel sac at the drop of a hat,
both men are an asset to bsac to be sure

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
I haven't done any for a while but should be back on the instructor training circuit next year. I hope to see some YDers taking part. :)
I'm doing about 10 events next year with about 3 IFC's I believe, so I also
hope to see YD'ers there :teeth:

It's a great course and well worth doing even if you dont want to become
an Instructor. The "awareness" skills are as applicable to ordinary diving
and I know many that have used the presentation skills to good effect in
job and promotion interviews.

I often say that if you are going to do any PADI course do Rescue, well if
you are going to do any BSAC one do the IFC and as entry is Sport Diver
(or equivilent) you dont even need to be a BSAC grade to get on it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'll add my vote that the IFC is an excellent course, tremendous fun & jolly hardwork, & that just for the instructors :).

Two little points I would like to add:-
  • I know that candidates turn up nervous wondering what to expect. The IFC is a course not an exam. Candidates are not being assessed, or examined.
  • Yes the weekend will be hardwork, but all efforts are made to ensure that candidates find it fun.
  • They will leave tired, exhausted but also hopefully exhilerated, fighting for a chance to put into practice what you have spent the weekend learning & practicing.
  • If anyone should be nervous over the weekend, its the instructor trainiers. To quote a phrase, they are "the best of the best". This is only because they are all continually assessed by the other Instructor trainers. Attending an event as an instructor means that you are being continually assessed by your peers, they have very very high standards. Any weaknesses in an IT's performance is picked up very quickly, other IT's can be very blunt in their critique:). I find them tremendous fun, but also find them extremely beneficial in helping me improve (or at least maintain) my instructing technique.
Its also interesting to see how many on this board are either instructors on the events, or have attended an event. Prehaps the best advertising is the feedback from those that have given it a go.

The events catalogue is here
or alternately, a list of IFC's here

Also the combined events are quite good fun, I'm sure Terry will recommend one :D .

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
A couple of the instructors and I in our club now have a New Challenge- every lesson we teach has to be absolutely perfect. Just a "good" lesson isn't good enough. We've even gone as far as having a floating instructor every club night who sits in on the lectures then shadows all of the pool lessons, then gives a proper REAP afterwards.

It's absolutely brilliant and I would recommend it to any club. You just have to go in with the attitude that the only reason the floating instructor is there is to make YOU a better instructor and the REAP critique is purely there to help.

·
Registered
472 Posts
A couple of the instructors and I in our club now have a New Challenge- every lesson we teach has to be absolutely perfect. Just a "good" lesson isn't good enough. We've even gone as far as having a floating instructor every club night who sits in on the lectures then shadows all of the pool lessons, then gives a proper REAP afterwards.

It's absolutely brilliant and I would recommend it to any club. You just have to go in with the attitude that the only reason the floating instructor is there is to make YOU a better instructor and the REAP critique is purely there to help.
Before someone asks

R - Review
E - Encourage
A - Assess
P - Progress

:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts