YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I'm really buzzing! Had my first UK seadive(s) (Countess of Erne)  on Saturday and couldn't sleep much last night. Ok, my trim, buoyancy and air consumption were truly awful but what the heck I'll get better - (I couldn't have been worse if I'd tried) ... eventually.

I'm beginning to understand why coldwater is such an attraction but one thing is eating at me - could I turn into a coldwater diver and remain sane at the same time?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

No. Nobody ever manages that.

Resistance is futile

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

Cool.  Did the countess as a night dive last year.  Really good dive.    Let's hope powergen don't drop a windmill on top of her.

You don't stand a chance of remaining sane, so don't waste your time fighting it

dan.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Ive been diving for years and managed to stay yip yip dingbat sane doodle:p
Seriously though, welcome to the pleasures of British diving, when I'm away, I always miss it!

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Nice one M8 glad you enjoyed it. She is a lovley dive in good viz some nice penetration points.

The Countess was my first UK wreck dive as well. Dive No39

Viz 1.0m temp 10c 17th March

Also first dive on twin 12s.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hey, well in there,

You will never look back now. 3m Vis, luxury, most times i have dived her about 0.5m and i keep banging my head on bits, but last year i was lucky to take a Novice on her with about 7, yes 7m of vis.

First time i saw the little swim through bit with the ladder. She had loads of fish on her that day as well
 or maybe she always has lots of sealife and i have just not been able to see it at all before

This will also be the death of your bank balance, 'cos once you are hooked it don't end.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Imported post

How busy is it on the Erne these days?
Since the Hood ban, is it becoming diver soup on the weekend?

Was thinking of a training trip mid-March instead of Vobster
or Horsea, but was a bit concerned as to how busy the Erne
& Landing Craft are at the mo.

Rgds
TerryH

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Good lad, Sane? You've got no chance. Welcome to the asylum...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imported post

Thanks chaps and chapesses.
I've calmed down since yesterday - all that bloody gear washing has brought me down to earth!

It wasn't that busy on Sat/Sun (word got out I was on my way!!!) . The viz was 3m .. till I got there! Saw no fish around the Countess (did I say I was there?) . I was hoping to do the Landing craft but I had to abort a dive - my own fault - a leaky mask and practically no feeling in my left hand BTW not because of cold but unfamiliarity with 3f mitts (The Poseidon 3s - warm but restrict my dexterity greatly). I used some ScubaPro 5mm gloves for the following day and felt a lot better for it. That said, the dives were really enjoyable despite no fish,cold, murk and a miserable bunch of buddies (!!!) whose sole purpose in life was to remind me of my muppetry in Stoney a couple of weeks back

PS I never learnt the big smiley in warm water !!!

BTW There's optimism that the diving ban on the Hood might be lifted in a week or two although this might only be a temporary lifting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts