YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Thinking Rude thoughts
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

recently at a family do an uncle of mine had a Canon SD800 IS, I have the SD500 (both here : Digital Cameras Side-by-Side, 2 cameras: Digital Photography Review )

Now, even though the body of the camera is the same size the 800 has a bigger screen (2.5" as opposed to 2" - it mightn't sound like much but it makes a hell of a difference) which would be great under the water. But the thing that really makes me think it would be great is the Image Stabilisation. At the moment I bin at least 40% of my underwater shots as they are just blurs. Does anyone know if IS will help this underwater? Even messing about with his camera both shots and video was a lot better. The camera and housing comes to about $450 (not too sure how much here!).

So, apart from the fact that he who dies with the most toys wins, is it worth the upgrade?

·
Going down and loving it
831 Posts
camera shake underwater shouldn't be to much of a problem. The water itself helps dampen it. This may sound like a stupid question but what's your bouyance control like?

·
Thinking Rude thoughts
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bouyancy is pretty good. Just always seems to move a couple mm when shooting. Maybe it's the thick gloves and the action of pressing the shutter.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Hi Bigfeller
IS has got to make some difference.
But IMHO it does not have any manual modes, which I think is very important in UW photography.
I normally shoot Aperture priority UW.
Ken

·
Registered
964 Posts
IS definitely seems to work for Canon & Nikon lenses where you can shoot successfully with considerably slower shutter speeds than with non-IS lenses. Not sure about the built in compact versions but I would expect it to be just as useful.

It sounds like your shutter speed is often too slow - do you know what that is for the pics that you've binned?
If that's the problem you will probably need to take shots where there is more light - either natural or from a strobe/torch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts