YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Is there any way to add an image from my computer desktop, i.e. one that isn't already on the Internet?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>As an Avatar John ?

There is an option in control panel... Avatar options and at the bottom is an upload avatar section,  if you click browse it will give you a file chooser and you can pick a file from your hard disk.

Or to attach an image to a posting,  there is an option just below this window I am typing in called file attachments,  basically the same just click browse (Don,t use that little image button above the posting window)

Try doing a reply and I think you will find it.

Daz

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

John

Do as Daz says but make sure the image size is within the limit of 30720 bytes else it will not let you do it

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Thanks Daz. The file was evidently too big, so there is no image in this reply but I now understand how to do it.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>OK lets see if this works

This is my daughter Sophie. At 1.0m on air. She dosent use tanks as they are for wimps like her dad.

Mark Chase

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Nope  

Try again

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Superb

Sophie and dady do DIR

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Good job she does'nt follow after you for the looks Mark  

Still as minimalist goes, that takes some beating.

Seriously though, it is great to see youngsters so happy and comfortable in the water.

Daz

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

New try!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>Brill John
Cheers
Bob

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Nice one John

Is this the new camera? I think I saw a thread with MX10 or somthing on it and your name??

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Thanks Bob, Mark! The picture was taken on my recent Red Sea Liveaboard trip with Sea & Sea's point-and-shoot camera MX-5 (price in the UK £115 from Divers' warehouse). I have the old model (the new one is called MX-5 II). I always had problems with back-scatter when using the camera's built-in flash (there is an extra strobe available for the MX-5 II but it doesn't fit the old model) until I bought the special close-up lens (price in the UK about £20), which enables me to get as close as 37 cm from the object and largely eliminates the back-scatter problem. I still get a lot of back-scatter when using the built-in flash and not using the close-up lens but I remove it with Adobe Photoshop 5.0 LE (= Limited Edition), which came with my scanner. The barracuda shot is an example of this. There was a lot of back-scatter in the original image but it only took me about 5 minutes to clean it up.
By the way, I had the developer put all my seven Red Sea films on a CD, didn't bother to print them. This worked out cheaper than prints and made computer manipulation easy as pie.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ June 28 2003,08:01)]Nice one John

Is this the new camera? I think I saw a thread with MX10 or somthing on it and your name??

Mark Chase
Saw a thread. My Yahoo account nearly blew up with a shedload of piccies John sent me. It wouldn't even all fit in one mail, it took four seperate mails. I've still never figured out how or why I got them.
 Apart from that, they were pretty!!!!!

Peter

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Hi Peter!
I sent you the pics because I remembered your saying somewhwere that you'd recently bought the same camera, or am I mixing you up with someone else? Anyhow, I thought you might be interested, if indeed it was you, in seeing what the camera can do if you use the close-up lens and cheat a bit, i.e. manipulate the pics in your computer. I divided the pics between 4 e-mails because I know some Internet providers (e.g. Hotmail and Yahoo) won't let more than 1 mb through at a time. Hope I didn't block your account.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi all, does anyone know what size, in KB the avatars have to be and does anyone knwo how i can change the size of a pic, i assume you change the formatt of the pic but i cant remember how to do it.

Ta much

Laurene

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ June 28 2003,15:06)]Hi Peter!
I sent you the pics because I remembered your saying somewhwere that you'd recently bought the same camera, or am I mixing you up with someone else? Anyhow, I thought you might be interested, if indeed it was you, in seeing what the camera can do if you use the close-up lens and cheat a bit, i.e. manipulate the pics in your computer. I divided the pics between 4 e-mails because I know some Internet providers (e.g. Hotmail and Yahoo) won't let more than 1 mb through at a time. Hope I didn't block your account.
Hi John,
          Yeah it was me that bought the camera. Thanks, I just couldn't figure out why you sent them but it's all clear now.

Peter

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Laurence,

Max size is 64 by 64.  Supported file formats are .gif .jpeg .jpg .swf

I think you should just be able to resize the picture using one of the image manipulation progs.  Same for the file formats.  I do not think the size will matter as long as the pic meets the requirements above.

I think paint will do the basics required.

Daz

·
Registered
42 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Daz, most of the pics i have are normal slr only a cpl are digital, but the smallest pic i have is 272 KB i can only use pics that are 30,700 bytes, thats not a big pic at all and i have no idea how to convert them to that small a size, unless i take new ones.

Ta much

Laurence

·
Registered
118 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ June 29 2003,15:29)]Supported file formats are .gif .jpeg .jpg .swf
SWF! Eek! (Pinched from www.figleaf.com flash tutorial)
<OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=400><PARAM NAME=MOVIE VALUE=http://www.rasilon.net/stuff/xeyes.swf><PARAM NAME=PLAY VALUE=TRUE><PARAM NAME=LOOP VALUE=TRUE><PARAM NAME=QUALITY VALUE=HIGH><EMBED SRC=http://www.rasilon.net/stuff/xeyes.swf WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=400 PLAY=TRUE LOOP=TRUE QUALITY=HIGH></EMBED></OBJECT>

1 - 20 of 25 Posts