YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Guys and girls - you may have noticed that YD has been off-line the last three mornings in a trot and this has not been the first time. I have been liasing with our hosting company and to put it mildly, they are a shower of shit. The errors are, of course, my fault, the codes fault, leaves on the superhighway, everything but theirs so I have decided to move to another hosting company. When I find a suitable home, I'll have to move all the files and the domain name across and this may take a few days resulting in YD being off-line.

I'll let you know before turning the boards off and try and give a timescale for switching them back on. Sorry for this but when you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]this may take a few days resulting in YD being off-line
Thats almost as bad as not diving, very very sad.  

Appreciate the reason though.

Matt

·
Registered
106 Posts
Imported post

Jay

Please post under Dive Medicine what I should do about withdrawal symptoms.  

Lots of luck and keep up the excellent work.

Kev

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Oh no, Jay's tinkering again and we all know what happens when Jay tinkers.

Peter

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Peter,

Please stop posting pics of your birds on the boards!  

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Nov. 06 2003,09:51)]Funny how its every morning
Yeah, I was wondering if that was when the hosting company did their backups or something?

Tom

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

You can use that crappy forum I created as a joke for DIM divers if you get really desperate

Is this problem linked to the way board statistics right now say:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yorkshire Divers welcomes our newest member making a total of registered members.
Yorkshire Divers has a total of 47 posts (42 replies to 5 Topics)
47 posts... I've started more than that myself!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Nov. 06 2003,14:26)]47 posts... I've started more than that myself!
That's right Dom. All your crap has been deleted and this is what we're left with.

Peter

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Nov. 06 2003,14:26)]Is this problem linked to the way board statistics
Other way around - for some reason the hosting server resets all the sessions every night and then decides that I have used all my disk quota (even though i haven't). I've finally got someone at the hosting company 'looking into it' but if i get no joy then we all move home - how exciting!

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Hmm Easily

I assume you are on a shared server Jay?

Is it something about dive forums (BSAC, Diver) etc, that all have the same host?

Buddying up as it were

Adrian

·
Registered
46 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Don't know if you are already aware of this, but it is possible to get into each forum directly, e.g. by clicking on a link in a 'tracking' email sent by the board, even when going to the 'main menu' fails.

Also works by selecting the 'forum jump' selector.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Nov. 06 2003,15:39)]Hmm Easily

I assume you are on a shared server Jay?

Is it something about dive forums (BSAC, Diver) etc, that all have the same host?

Buddying up as it were

Adrian
Yes - shared server. No way I could afford a dedicated server at the moment. Purely coincidental about using Easily - I have hosted sites with them in the past and (until recently anyway) thought they were very good.

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

What's the traffic/bandwidth usage for this site like?
I have a friend who has an under used server in Telehouse on a 10M/bit link who may be able to do you a deal (flat rate per month, all the bandwidth you can eat).
Simon A

1 - 20 of 21 Posts