YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Hmmm
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Christmas eve is a big deal in our house. Whilst everyone might scatter on Christmas day to do other friends and relatives they all gather here on the eve for grub, pressie opening and general merriment.

It has almost become a tradition to serve coq au vin cooked the day before as it tastes even better the next day plus at least two of the gang are veggies and it's quite easy to do a veggie version of it.

This year we fancy a change but I can't think of anything else that fits all the criteria which is:

A relatively easy meal to prep on the day, I don't mind cooking all day the day before but on the day I want to enjoy myself too. Plus I will be cooking the full Christmas dinner the next day and don't want to burn out :)

Something that is either veggie or can be easily veggietised.

And of course it has got to taste great :)

Any ideas?

·
Hmmm
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Veggie & tastes great.

That's my culinary knowledge at a dead end. I was gettign excited about detailing my individual beef wellington recipe too :)
Individual beef wellies does sound good but wouldn't that be a lot of effort on the day?

a nice lamb neck fillet curry, better if made a few days before, served with rice, papadoms, spicey gooseberry jelly and creme fresh

easy to make a curry veggie too!
Curry is one of my favourites too for a large gang as you say it's very easy to do a good veggie one too. However we are having a get together soon were I am going to be serving curry so it's a bit close to serve it again. Great suggestion though :)

·
I want it all....
299 Posts
What about a big pot of Chilli ? Quite easy to make a veggie version and you can even make a mild version for pensioners/girls/wimps

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
How about toad in the hole? Dead easy as all you need is a batter mix, and you can do two lots, one with veggie sausages (and you can get quite decent ones these days). Then a big pot of veggie onion gravy and mash :)

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Don't forget to make a vegetable coq.

Reactions: Jen

·
Hmmm
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How about toad in the hole? Dead easy as all you need is a batter mix, and you can do two lots, one with veggie sausages (and you can get quite decent ones these days). Then a big pot of veggie onion gravy and mash :)
Another good suggestion but I must admit to be a regular toad in the holer :)

Don't forget to make a vegetable coq.
Thanks for the reminder :)

·
Going, Going .....
666 Posts
Tagine of Lamb, easy to sub veggies and tastes briliiant reheated after it's had a chance to marinade overnight

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Individual Beef Wellingon, with Mushroom, Onion, Spinach, Blue Cheese and Red wine Sauce

You can make these up the day before, and then fridge them overnight.

£ packages of pre rolled puff pastry
Plain Flour for rolling

For the mushrooms:
2 large Portobello mushrooms
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
salt and pepper

For the onions:
3 tablespoons butter
3 medium onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Sherry wine
salt and pepper

For the spinach and cheese:
1 cup cooked chopped spinach
6 ounces blue cheese

For the beef:
6 Decent Sized Fillet Steaks (go for chunk rather than slice
salt and pepper to season
1/2 cup olive oil

Prepare the pastry and fillings:

Thaw pastry. Unwrap each sheet. Sit a 10-inch round cake pan on pastry.
With a sharp knife, cut out pastry sheets into 10-inch rounds. Lightly score a 4 by 3-inch rectangle in the center of each pastry round. Do not cut through the pastry. Extend the lines of the rectangle and cut out the corners. Use scraps to cut out 12 leaves or other shapes to use as decoration. Layer the pastry rounds between sheets of wax paper.

For the mushrooms:
Slice the portobello into strips. Heat a heavy skillet over high heat. Add oil, garlic, mushrooms, thyme and rosemary. Stir until mushrooms are brown. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl.

For the onions:
Melt butter in a heavy skillet. Add onion and cook over low heat until onion are caramelized, stirring occasionally. Add Sherry wine and cook until pan is dry. Season with salt and pepper.
Set aside to cool.

For the Cow:
Heat a heavy skillet over high heat. Add oil and sear fillets 3 minutes on each side.
Season with salt and pepper. Transfer fillets to a plate. Refrigerate until ready to use.

For the sauce:
Pour 1 cup red wine in skillet. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir a package of brown sauce mix in cold water. Pour in skillet with wine. Whisk until thickened. Set sauce aside.

Assemble the wellingtons:
Preheat oven to 200degrees. Line the prepared pastries on a work surface. Spread half of the well drained spinach over center of pastries. Divide blue cheese and well drained onions into six equal portions and spread over spinach. Top with fillet, mushrooms and remaining spinach. Fold each side panel onto top to seal the content of pastry. Turn the packages and arrange on a baking sheet seam side down. Decorate with pastry cut outs Brush pastries with a beaten egg. Bake in for about 20 minutes

Set cooked wellingtons aside no longer than 10 minutes. The sealed fillets continue to cook out of the oven.

Cut each wellington in half. Arrange on warm plates and serve immediately with boiled potatoes and some nice crisp baby sweetcorn or carrots.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Quiches are dead easy to make and done with a bit of thought look impressive. Buy pre-made pastry and you can make one in about ten minutes plus baking. Buy a couple of big pastry cases, make one a traditional Quiche Lorraine and one veggie (asparagus and blue cheese is particularly good).

Reactions: Jen

·
Hmmm
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Individual Beef Wellingon, with Mushroom, Onion, Spinach, Blue Cheese and Red wine Sauce
<snip of drool inducing goodness>
Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have a winner.

Shall I expect you around 6pm to prep Garf ;)

·
Hmmm
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<snip of drool inducing goodness>
So can you get the pastry parcels ready the day before or does it all go soggy?

And I've never heard of Brown Sauce Mix ... The only brown sauce we have here is Daddies, is it a 'southern thang'?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts