YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

On my last little jaunt to Egypt I was a bit shocked to be at 18m with my Vytec showing 39m
I took it along for the ride but didn’t use it on the big dive and I have a natty profile print out showing I was at 116m. Great for impressing your M8s but pretty useless for diving.

Soooooo I popped it into my local dive shop (Blue Ocean Diving Maidstone) and they sent it back. Now I bought my Vytec just after the LDS in March 2002. In Aug 2003 it was replaced with a new one due to a recall. So I wasn’t expecting a free repair.

When I got the call from Sunnto I was expecting to be told how much the repair bill was and I was fishing about for my credit card when they asked me for the address to send my brand new free replacement unit

I was well impressed,

Top marks Suunto quality service.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Kind of worrying that it broke in the first place though?
Do you still trust it?

(agreed, that's very good service though)

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>i was screwed over by a twat on ebay who sold be a duff suunto solution nitrox.  I took it to scapa and it snuffed it after 4 dives!  I sent it to suunto and they got me a nice new vytec for a very reasonable price indeed.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

My Stinger started playing silly buggers about 2 yrs after I got it, turning itself off when I got to 3-4m on stops.  The battery wasn't at its best, but didn't need replacing just yet (the bit I was dreading cost-wise).

Sent it off to Suunto, got a new pressure transducer & a new battery.  Cost?  Bit fat zero. Big smiles!

Also had a Uwatec Air X Nitrox which I went and dropped, causing the screen to go to buggery.  Dropped it into my LDS, who sold Uwatec a 'tale of woe' & got a brand new unit by return of post!

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>however, when i whinged at hydrotech about the poor state of my regs after a seasons dive they told me im a reg abuser! so a big fat UP YOURS to them.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

That seems pretty bloody bad.  Had a set of Scubapro MK20UL (alloy jobbies) and after three years got sick of the corrosion and having to replace pistons at the annual service.  Sent them back to Scubapro with a polite"I know they're out of warranty but I'm not at all happy with this scenario" letter.  Got a pair of lovely brass MK25s by return of post, gratis.

Don't you have any redress at all with those bastards?

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tom @ Jan. 17 2004,18:10)]Kind of worrying that it broke in the first place though?
Do you still trust it?

(agreed, that's very good service though)
I dont trust any computer thats why I wear 2 on prety much all dives . (OK so I dont bother on 15m bimbles) On the big dive I had 3
The Vytec my wifes Vyper and my VR3.

I did 162 dives on my old Vytec and it was working fine when I snet it back for the recall. The new replacemt one only managed 23 dives.

Bears crap in the woods and computers go wrong thats two indisputable facts of life.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Jan. 17 2004,22:48)]Don't you have any redress at all with those bastards?
<font color='#000080'>Nope, well, not according to stoney cove.  They said im a reg abuser (im sure there will be a councelling service for that kinda thing somewhere)

Seac Sub tried the same thing with my drysuit and i told them to go forth and multiply.  They said i had abused my drysuit seals - i told them of a dry cag i have for kayaking - it is over 10 years old and still has the original seals in it.  They eventually replaced the zip, all valves and the seals for £100 - cash i couldnt afford as i was living off around £200 a month.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Did they tell you what constitutes reg abuse?  Breathing from them, or did they have evidence of you reversing a Land Rover over them or summat?  I've got a set of Scubapro 2nd stages that have had a fairly strenuous life over the last 6 yrs (dropped, chucked in a dive bag, dragged all over the world, on a few occasions not rinsed once during two solid weeks' diving) and they still look reasonably presentable and work very well.
What the hell can you do to a set of regs to wreck them in one year?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts