YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

In the News - Diver wants to buy Ark Royal

856 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  12480 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I hope he gets it too!!...vis is usually very good round here, only bad if we have a big easterly really.Easy to get good depth not too far out of the bay. Would be great if they put it somewhere with 45ish to the bottom, top would probably be at OW depth then.

#4 ·
I hote to be the voice of doom...well..alright...I love it really.... this is not going to happen, it is a case of too little too late, tenders close on the 13th and they have secured a grand total of zero pounds and have secured the backing of no council members, no diving bodies and no major groups, they have 'talked' to a few but so far no one has come out with any backing, Brixham fisheries would fight it tooth and nail and there are the cruise ships that anchor in the bay in the summer to think of, they do bring in good money.

The bay is 22M at its deepest point so it would have to go outside the bay and then it would be a danger to the container ships and oil tankers that use that particular stretch and anchor up awaiting orders when the price of crude has gone up...

It is a non starter, I hope to be proved wrong, it would be a great dive to have on my doorstep but having spoken to people about the 'professional' divers heading up the initiative I very much doubt it.

#5 ·
I always knew some divers were complete arses, now I know. It would have to be sunk halfway to France before it stopped being a hazard to shipping - trawlers will snag anything. The Galicia is in 18m and was blown up as a hazard. Ark Royal brand razor blades anyone?

#6 ·
having chatted to them it more of a door opener. and they are already leasing with the admiralty regards where it would go.

the galicia was blown up then yes but now would it be? i think not with advances in positioning and also the way the tien isnt such a well used port.

tbh if it encourages a wreck to reef in the bay or even a little further out like say next to the bretange, on a smaller more practical scale then its a good thing. and if it encourages diving then how is it a bad thing?

#7 ·
They can liaise all they want Paul, they have no money. who is going to pay for it, the MOD are looking to sell it not give it away as a PR exercise.

I will give you a little more background tomorrow, I find it always pays to talk to others rather than take the word of the bearers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.