YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK out of water,  no big deal I have fine tuned my style (if I can use that word  
) of donning and doffing.

In water what methods do people use for removal and replacement of a one piece harness.  Currently over the head seems to work the best.

Any other suggestions.

Daz

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Over the head for me too. I wear a weight belt though so that helps.

The main method I use is too clip off the long hose to my right DRing. Then if I slip the left strap off the shoulder (to just before the dump) I then use my long hose to pull the right strap off and my right arm out. Easy

Oh, don't forget to undo the waste strap first

Andy

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks Andy,

Will have a play around with partial removal of arms from straps and clipping off long hose - (It always seem to head off in it's own direction upto now)

No weight belt, so will practice in the shallows and rest assured will attempt to keep tight hold of the rig.

Oh will try to remember about the waiststrap but I have forgotten a few times upto now  

Daz

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

I can hardly get into them on dry land so I don't hold out too much hope for me underwater.:D

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Do u mean surface or underwater?

Undo waist strap, unthread crotch strap, swing around in front of me. That's underwater - at the surface, it stays in place and I swing around

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Tip I got was to loosen all straps, inflate the wing and your weight belt will drag you down a little so you should slip out under it while breathing off your long hose. I used to have a clip on my left harness band - I know all the 'failure point' arguments but I always thought that, even with that harness failing, you are unlikely to loose your kit due to the right strap remaining tight.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

A one-piece can still have a shoulder buckle - it's used to keep some extra slack tucked away rather than to put a break in the harness..

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Any other views on this?

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
I have a buckle on my left shoulder and I am looking to change it, the solution I have come up with is 2 parachute harness v rings held together with a double ended boltsnap I will post on my progress when they arrive.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I have a loop in the harness just like the pic. The only difference is that the clip is located just above the waist strap on the right. I find it more comfortable than having the clip digging in my chest, it is well out the way and is possibly easier to undo.

Removal inwater, I lie on my back, release the DS feed undo the crotch strap, then thewaist strap, take my arms out, hey presto. Getting back in is just a reverse but I leave the crotch strap until I can get positioned horizontal.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Dominic said:
A one-piece can still have a shoulder buckle - it's used to keep some extra slack tucked away rather than to put a break in the harness..
Yep.. same here.. a couple of bungie loops around the webbing to keep the slack loop of webbing up out of the way.. works well after a dive when I'm knackered and can't be arsed to wiggle my way out of the harness.. An APValves buckle (as per the quick release buckle on the buddy jackets) works very well, as its easier to 'snap' them open with cold fingers than pinch clips..

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Bump

Given some of the reports on attempts to complete this exercise successfully, recently, this thread might be of use ;)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Gledders said:
Dunno - if Frank starts playing dead at the weekend - I'll try it :D
You might want to have a conversation with Lou & Caroline as they had to get me out of mine at the weekend (rescue drill).

With hindsight, perhaps I should have mentioned before we started the drill that I do not have a crotch strap... :embarasse

John

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Indeed - it is all very well getting yourself out of a one-piece, but 6ft of "dead" Welshness is bloody hard work. Of course, in real life the shears would have come out and the weightbelt would have been dropped and not manhandled onto the lift platform, but still, a valuable exercise.

In the end we just went for the shoulder dislocation option :D. And you can't blame Caroline for going for the crotch strap.......you were supposed to be unconciousness but you jumped well at that point!:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts