YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Guys,

Folling the Dotty thread I noticed a comment by Mr Yates Esq.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]BTW: A small addendum - one of these days - thanks to the growing nature of YD - there is chance that a report similar to what we are talking about could happen to one of "us"
This got me thinking - how close or how frequently are YDer's involved in pant-wetting to life threatening moments?

Purely for interest and with no recrimination for honesty, I would like the YD community to state it's history - let's come up with some stats.

I've split the options into a few categories. Please answer for yourself as the diver and if you buddied with someone who had one of these

A - Direct involvment in a terminal incident (not your own) or recovery
B - Serious DCI (neuro, spinal bend etc - life threatening)
C - DCI (non-life threatening)
D - Minor incident (possible risk of DCI, pushed your luck, freeflow, entanglement)

No need to say what happened though it could help. Also please add up the scores as we go along (total in brackets).

I'll start the ball rolling.

A - 1 (1)
B - 0 (0)
C - 0 (0)
D - 2 (2) Freeflow, pushed NDL with 3 20m dives in 2 hours

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

A 0 (1)
B 0 (0
C 0 (0)
D 2 (4) (1 freeflow and 1 entanglement)

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

A- 1(2)
B- 0 (0)
c- 1 (1) minor DCI v-nearly major
d- 2 (7) 2 entanglements

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

A - 0 (0)
B - 0 (0)
C - 0 (0)
D - Minor incidents: 3-8 depending on how you call it
1 RNLI call out, hairy but not potentially fatal
1 incident with stong tidal surge and narrow rocky channel, no injuries but scary as f*** and could have been nasty.
1 (and only) freeflow in Crap and Rainy at 16m, no significant problem
1 really scary narcosis, the only time I felt like calling a dive
A few (3-4) complete buddy seperations and solo ascents (but only with YD-ers... )

Perhaps doesn't really count, but I was on the committee of a BSAC club when various members had a couple of incidents, so that leads to involvement with Incident Reports etc:  one potentially fatal CAGE (thankfully it wasn't) and one airlift due to youg gung-ho diver ignoring brach recommendations for stops on 30 & 35m dives , she was ok but her buddy was mildly bent

I did suggest a while ago that it wouldn't hurt for YD-ers to have a kind of voluntary code of Safe Diving Practices, e.g. BSAC SDPs but following the recent views expressed on rights to take risks and rights to dive wherever/whenever etc, that's obviously a non-starter.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

A = 0
B = 0
C = 0
D > 1, depending how you define it.. weightbelt fell off and extremely fast ascent followed. Weightbelt ALMOST fell off but I caught it in time. We lost our divers' SMB in the darkness and had to alert the coastguard, tho we found them again shortly afterwards. And a diver separation incident at Stoney Cove, on our notorious "How many ways can four divers screw up one dive" episode..

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

One mega incident a good few years ago - ran out of air on deco stops and had to share for a good 7 mins with Ted my buddy. This was after lifting a porthole from depth with a lifting bag

I still have the porthole and most days I look at it and then look at Jo, my fiance and think "what a muppet I was and how good life tastes".

All my own fault and I know it. Having said that, that experience changed my approach to diving.

Simon

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I'm assuming BC and D are only if it happened to you.

So for me the worst was the first time someone almost closed my valve in a buddy check, leading me to have a confused OOA.

I'll try and get the totals together again

A 0 (2)
B 0 (0)
C 0 (1)
D 1 (18) adding 8 from Steve, 1 from Dominic and 1 from Snash

If it does include things that have happened to buddies, you can add about 4 to D

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

(took me 10 mins to figure out what was happening with the numbers )

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>(nice to see you actually took the time to read my first post!  
)

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

(Mondays were never a good thinking day for me)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I forgot 2 incidents (1 in the Maldives, 1 in Cozumel) where I and 6 or 7 other divers were temporarily lost at sea. We had to wait about 45 minutes both times before we were spotted and picked up. You've no idea how big the Caribbean and Indian Ocean are until it happens to you.
So:
A 0 (2)
B 0 (1)
C 0 (2)
D 2 more (20)
(I think!)

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Good point, lost at sea. Three people, floating in the Red Sea, with the sun sinking majestically behind the mountains, one screams thinking she was attacked by a shark...she actually had brushed her leg against some reef.

Too humourous now to add to my list, but maybe that should be on there too....could have been nasty.....my fault....I was Navigating, but I was relieved to know that I wasn't the only YD'er to make the same mistake, I think only one buddy pair actually followed the right route.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Dec. 22 2003,16:05)]
A 1 (3)
B 2 (3)
C 0 (2)
D 3'ish (23)

Searched for 1 missing diver! He wasn't found
2 DCI's myself
A few buddies with surface bolts(don't panic Mr Mainwaring) and entanglements.

Pretty grim considering I've only been diving 3 years

Peter

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (camdiver @ Dec. 22 2003,16:10)]I think only one buddy pair actually followed the right route.
Yes, it was just us!  

A - 0 (3)
B - 0 (3)
C - 0 (2)
D - 1 (24)  (lost integrated weight pouch and quick ascent from 15m, all within first 2 minutes of dive so no medical problems)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>(0) (1)
(0) (1)
(0) (0)
(2) (12) Thats a guess. mine was getting lost in fog about 3 miles out, and a minor entanglement.

And everything from buddy bolting from 36m, lost weight belt, loss of SMB, Stab failed to hold air, a fellow diver being run over by boat, two divers lost when DSMB detatched and they decided to continue dive.

Most of this was in the last 12 months or so. Been a fun year.

gareth

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

A0 (3)
B0 (3)
C1 (3)
D5 (29)

In the pot once (three times if you count a non DCI incident that they thaught at first was DCI)

1 Rapid ascent from 26m missing 15mins of stops. Went back down and re did deco and got away with it.

1 Lost inside a wreck in low viz (accidental entry not planned)

2 Entanglements

1 Low on air at 30m ascended on instructors octo long hose

Asisted (o2 administration) in one serious bend and witnessed two others but you didnt have a slot for that.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

I didn't realise my diving was so tame. Anyone for knockout speedway??

A 0 (3)
B 0 (3)
C 0 (3)
D 0 (29)

James

1 - 20 of 26 Posts