YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>There are a couple of postings on both Divernet and BSAC about baggage allowance for flights with Excel to Egypt.  Their website says 10Kg but not for Egypt.  I have just had a reply from them and it is as follows:

"Thank you for your recent email to the pre flight department. We are now pleased to announce that on all our flights even Egypt divers can now take an extra 10kg diving allowance on top of their 20kg.

Hope this is of some help"

Fiona  

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>OK, just done it, however if you go to Egypt and more importantly Marsa Alam, I don't think you have much of a choice on the airline.

Fiona

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Thanks Fiona, thats great news, I'd better get myself on a flight to Egypt as soon as to check it out

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Gavin and Fiona will be pleased to hear that after paying £165 in excess baggage to Excel last November!

Now, having got in on the 20kg limit last time, what extras could I take this year?

Any suggestions?

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

your favourite young offender?

·
4,427 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (camdiver @ Jan. 14 2004,15:03)]your favourite young offender?
<font color='#000080'>Too many to chose from, (though the 10kg limit does narrow it down!).

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Jan. 14 2004,14:42)]Gavin and Fiona will be pleased to hear that after paying £165 in excess baggage to Excel last November!

Now, having got in on the 20kg limit last time, what extras could I take this year?

Any suggestions?
Shit, that reminds me I still owe Gav for my excess charges - £45!

Gav I'll get the cheque in the post.

Mark, if you got everything you needed then could always sell your unused allowance!

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Cheers Tim, I'd forgotten about that.

I managed 22kgs - Fiona was nearer 30-odd - what that woman packs god only knows.

That's the advantage of Marks gimp suit(pictured) - it hardly weighs anything at all.

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

lest we forget our prior sufferings

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Mark!

What make is your gimp suit? wouldn't mind getting one for this year? Any websites you could suggest would be good also. Did you buy the gimp hood to go with the suit? to dive in the UK? or cas the water was too warm for a neo hood but not enough for the red sea?

Dave C

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ Jan. 14 2004,15:41)]I managed 22kgs - Fiona was nearer 30-odd - what that woman packs god only knows.
<font color='#0000FF'>Women just take more stuff, everyone knows that.  My bags nearer 25 than 20.  

Fiona

·
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>It's just each and every opportunity, isn't it, Gav? Never been in favour of gagging the media but I'm going to take out a restraining order!

Dave, do a search in Equipment for Reed Chillcheater and all the information you need is there.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>The public have a right to know what perversions our frontline officers are into.

At least I didn't mention that you became "Mandy" every weekend you were off shift.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#3BB9FF'>That is great news!!! I wont have to weigh my kit on a set of bathroom scales on my next trip!!!!

That picture just keeps on popping its little head up, doesn't it  
 I don't think that you're going to live it down Mark!

x x x

·
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well, at least my bag wasn't lighter on the way back than it was on the way out!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Jan. 15 2004,08:02)]Well, at least my bag wasn't lighter on the way back than it was on the way out!
<font color='#3BB9FF'>

x x x

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Just nicked this from D-net. Posted by a guy called Darrell Jordan, from Aylesbury - topic: 'My Travel' -

" I returned home today in the early hours of the morning after a week in Tenerife including having a most enjoyable time diving with Island Divers over there. On departing from Tenerife and despite the fact I had contacted My Travel 6 weeks ago with regards excess baggage, IE diving gear, I incurred an 8 KG excess package payment due to the fact that My Travel claim, cough cough, that the representative I spoke to on the phone to orgainse the the excess baggage allowance only but the allowance on for one way IE from Gatwick to Tenerife and not for the return journey.
My Travel are the rudest people you will ever have to deal with. Despite my protests and attempts for them to check my weight allowance on leaving Gatwick compared to my return flight from Tenerife they refused. The My Travel Lite desk in the airport who you have to pay the excess baggage to tell you they are only agents for My Travel as the are different companies and wont help. The My Travel representatives at the airport wont listen or even use an ounce of common sense or even check back with the UK regarding the excess baggage. Their extremely unhelpful representatives at "check in" deal with the situation this way "If you don't pay the excess baggage, we will have your bags taken over the conveyour belt and you wont be checked in and so therefore can't fly home". Thanks Caroline at My Travel in Tenerife Sur if that is how you handle customer compliants I suggest you get some more training.

This is the 21st century how hard is it to check that your allowance on leaving the UK applies to you when returning to the country as per your prior arrangements with your tour operator?

I can only assume that that a company that lost £900 million in the last financial year is attempting to claw back money anyway possible. Obviously My Travel assumed I only needed the excess baggage one way and I intended to leave my diving gear in Tenerife.

Their complete lack of assistance was unbelievable and their ability to apply a bit of common sense or even to contact their UK office's which I know is manned 24 hours a day shows a complete and utter disregard to those travelling with them and they have the nerve to call themselves "Customer Service Representatives".

I would suggest that anyone travelling to Tenerife with diving gear with My Travel also ckecks that the excess baggage allowance applies for the return journey as well as I obviously forgot to do this!!!!!

Anyway thanks Graham and Sonya over there at Island Divers, pity I missed Penny on Soccer AM though as I was in Tenerife."

·
Registered
55 Posts
Imported post

Just thought this might interest anyone flying with Britannia this year
HTH
Bill

Subj:    RE: sports equipment
 Date:    Thu, 29 Jan 2004 4:41:38 pm GMT
 To:    "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>
 Sent from the Internet (Details)

Thank you for your e-mail,

If you can provide a diving licence as proof that you are a qualifyed diver we will waiver a extra five kilios luggage allowance
We not not offer this for any other sporting items.

Kind regards

Web options
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 29 January 2004 16:21
To: Web Options
Subject: FW: sports equipment

Hi Clare

For you.

Rgds
Frances
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 29 January 2004 15:55
To: [email protected]
Subject: sports equipment

Hi there
Can you confirm that an extra 5kg baggage allowance is granted for the carriage of sports equipment esp. scuba gear.
I look forward to your reply
Bill Skinner

********** CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE & DISCLAIMER ****************************************************************************************
This message, together with any attachments, is for the confidential and exclusive use of the intended addressee(s). If you receive it in error, please delete the message and its attachments from your system immediately and notify us by return e-mail. Do not disclose, copy, circulate or use any information contained in this e-mail.
(1) The content of this e-mail is to be read subject to our terms of business, as applicable.
(2) E-mail may be intercepted or affected by viruses and we accept no responsibility for any interception or liability for any form of viruses introduced with this e-mail.
(3) The sender shall remain solely accountable for any statements, representations or opinions that are clearly his or her own and not made in the course of employment.
(4) For risk, protection and security purposes, we may monitor e-mails and take appropriate action.
******************************************************************************************
TUI Northern Europe Limited
Registered in England and Wales (Number 3490138)
Britannia Airways Limited
Registered in England and Wales (Number 444359)
VAT Number: 490 2120 79 0000
Registered Office of TUI NE, TUI UK and Britannia: Greater London House, Hampstead Road, London NW1 7SD
Telephone: +44 (0)1582 424155; Fax: +44 (0)1582 428272; IT Helpdesk: +44 (0)1582 428888; E-mail: [email protected]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts