YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I dive a 15 and a pony at the moment, just passed my Sport Diver, been considering going to a small twinset. I say small because 90% of my diving is off the club rib and I would prefer my rig to be compact (getting two dives from a single fill is not an issue). I've looked at tens and they seem to offer a nice amount of gas redundancy wise, only thing is I'm 6'2" tall and I can see kitting up will cause back ache resting on the sponson.

I won't be buying a wing and a plate so will be using twinning cam bands on my buddy slimline TD. I like the look of Indy 7's 232bar because of the weight and the tall cylinders (for kitting up). My diving so far has been in the 20-25mtr range and 232's seem to be fine for that, however as I progress potentially to my max of 35mtrs (not in any rush for depth, it's dark and scary down there) the gas calculations start to look tight re redundancy.

So 7's 300 bar seem ideal, my club has an excellent compressor that pumps to 300 bar and very cheap Nitrox. I understand they are heavier, but it's weight off your belt right?. However I've been reading nitrox and 300 bar are a pain to blend, what are the issues?. Is it by the time it cools your mix will be too rich cos its now 280 bar? (I'm sure there's more to it). Although I may eventually go the whole wing/plate/manifold/12's route at the moment I do like the idea of totally independant gas supplies.

Or should I go 232's and maybe add a stage of backgas when/if I go deeper?.

I've rambled on enough. Cheers Ming

·
aka,,, Tom Thompson
3,626 Posts
you can just fill them to whatever suits ,,, however getting a nitrox fill is really just practice , if you do find that you settle to be more than the 1% off , just reset your computer to match the mix , oops ,,,, now you need your own analizer , more expense,,, thats diving...

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
They are fine if you don't mind putting in a bit of time to get the fill right. Even air filling needs a bit of time to get the full 300bar if you dont want to live with 270. I used to use 7/300's as my deco stages years ago, you can get the fill right if you are patient.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.