YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
old member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just recieved an e-mail from an old colleague and thought I had better post this on the list for your perusal.

I've only 30-40% of lung capacity due to aspergillus fumigata and related illnesses (you dont want to know). Caught it from my milton cleaned oms wings.... I only use milton and only use the wings in the north sea (normal depths 45-80m) but the lab in manchester said the bladder and especially the corrugate mouthpiece were thick with the fungi............. HASAW scientists taken it up and changing guidelines for their use. Have written a sensible article for diver mag but its not published yet.

Incidentally my USA dive buddy caught the same after a spell in costa rica. He was a consultant Dr and misdiagnosed it as pneumonia seems thats usually the case and untreated patients die frequently.

Wow!!!
John Thornton

·
Gettin' busy with the fizzy..
708 Posts
is there any products out there to clean out the bladder, i've always been told to rinse out my bladder every few months with mouth wash.

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
is there any products out there to clean out the bladder, i've always been told to rinse out my bladder every few months with mouth wash.
The results of a trial by I think the US Navy were put on the Inspiration list a couple of years ago and believe it or not Listerine was second best after Triogene. I think it was Triogene 2 though and the archives have been removed from the list so I can't check but Buddy Clean from AP diving is what is produced by them for such purpose. It's watered down triogene but a bottle lasts for ages.

·
Team HPDW Cake Queen.
3,550 Posts
I remember 4 years ago at the Dive Show that a lot of people I knew went down with a very nasty chest infection straight after doing the RB try dive :(

They all used the unit and reckoned bacteria from someone who tried it with the infection had spread it to them all.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I tend to slop neat Trigene about and I've survived on that.
However one of the things I like about the Sentinel and several of the current crop of rebreathers is see through lungs.
Not particularly that you can see they're clean, my wife worked in medicine so I know my eyes aren't the test, but you can see that the cleaner is getting everywhere.

·
Albert is getting annoyed
606 Posts
I've been told Dettol is good stuff to use. I recently used the apple flavour which was quite nice :)

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
I may be mistaken but does the OP not say the infection came from the bladder of a wing and not from a loop. {I once had a go on a RB so obviously know everything about them;)}

Anyway, this must effect all divers using any BC and reminds me of a recent thread where club trainees were being taught to breath from the BCs. A very valid and long understood argument against it.

A few divers I know say well yes, breath the bladder as a last resort, a chest infection can be cured..... it would appear not always.

On the plus side aspergillus fumigata is very active in the recycling of nitrogen and carbon so you might enhance the life of your scrubber and maybe get shorter deco stops by letting it build up in a RB ;)

Such a double edged sword...decisions...decisions....

·
beware of limitations
3,443 Posts
Another vote for Virkon. I recall a Canadian (?) study where that came out on top. I disinfect mine about once a month, but I do dry between each dive.

No problems so far.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Another vote for Virkon. I recall a Canadian (?) study where that came out on top. I disinfect mine about once a month, but I do dry between each dive.

No problems so far.
Pretty hard-core stuff that - we use it for bioburden reduction in cleanrooms etc. It would be interesting to see if there are any effects on the materials of the parts treated over time.
FWIW, if you really want to go to town, you should cycle the disinfectants treatments so you don't get a build up of, for example, virkon-resistant bacteria!!!! Perhaps overkill, but better than autoclaving! ;-)

·
probably just mental
2,399 Posts
Ok before you all start worrying that you are going to die...
Apergillus is a fungus that is really common in lots of enviroments including damp housing, compost heaps air con units to mention a few.
It causes a couple of very rare lung infections and is implicated in some allergic ones.
The main contributing factor to aspergillus related problems is immune system problems such as cancer chemotherapy, immunosuppression with drugs (eg after a transplant) immune steroid treatment or HIV.
It would be really rare to get aspergillosis from either the lungs of an RB or a BCD

·
Waiting to see what happens
3,844 Posts
I started worrying the moment I bought a sentinal - it keeps reminding you that your going to die, surpised they've not put an alarm on it for time up between disinfection treatments. I mean a solid red just to tell me I have 27 bar of O2 left ffs, a minor alarm yes but 'get off it now'!!!

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I started worrying the moment I bought a sentinal - it keeps reminding you that your going to die, surpised they've not put an alarm on it for time up between disinfection treatments. I mean a solid red just to tell me I have 27 bar of O2 left ffs, a minor alarm yes but 'get off it now'!!!

Quit whingeing you old poof and get disco dancing!

If you get scared I'll buy your unit...for a fiver :)

·
Team HPDW .... the only way to GO ;o)
653 Posts
I've had my sentinel for a year now it seems that cider breath is the perfect solution for disinfecting the loop ..

·
Team HPDW - 10/90 for the Boys
5,435 Posts
I've had my sentinel for a year now it seems that cider breath is the perfect solution for disinfecting the loop ..
What about the stuff on those wet wipes that the "Dancing Girls" had at the "Gentlemens Establishment" in Weymouth?
That seemed to do the trick on your lap :D

·
Team HPDW .... the only way to GO ;o)
653 Posts
'sticky vicky' .... Benidorms finest evening entertainment ........ Or not :-/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts